Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Other Apogee/3D Realms Games > Prey
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 06-29-2006, 07:56 AM   #1
Sars!

Damn, plz help me!
I made a simple mod, and as I thought it wouldn't harm the game... I installed it into the pk4 file. I overwrote the original file and I made sure they had exactly the same name and size. i keep getting this error:
Quote:
Running in restricted demo mode.

Unknown command 'vid_restart'
idRenderSystem::Shutdown()
Shutting down OpenGL subsystem
...shutting down QGL
Corrupted C:\Program Files\Prey Demo\base\demo00.pk4: 0x867063fa
Old 06-29-2006, 10:20 AM   #2
Cheapy

Re: Damn, plz help me!
Once again, owned by checksum check.

also don't ever modify the base pk4s ever, that's a golden rule

Shouldn't threads and posts referring to any workaround of this checksum/demo restrictions be zapped?
Old 06-29-2006, 10:23 AM   #3
ADM

As long as it's not distributed at all then it's not a problem, also even then that's not really a main concern as it's only a demo and the demo is freely distibuted.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:25 AM   #4
Sars!

Ok,
Then I got one more question.
As you probably know, if you add +reloadScript after the target on your shortcut, it loads a script that is in the base/script folder. Is this possible with other files too? For example skins or textures?
Old 06-29-2006, 11:05 AM   #5
Mrkat
Try adding your 'new' content to it's own PK4 file, if they have the same name as the defaults they may load in depending on whether they've enabled/disabled PK4 directory checks.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:32 AM   #6
Sars!

I think it won't work...
Quote:
As you probably know, if you add +reloadScript after the target on your shortcut, it loads a script that is in the base/script folder. Is this possible with other files too? For example skins or textures?
Old 06-29-2006, 11:48 AM   #7
SuicideRUN

I thought the demo couldn't be Modded?
Old 06-29-2006, 12:01 PM   #8
Sars!

http://media.putfile.com/PortalModPrey
Watch that then...

Download of mod:
http://rapidshare.de/files/24488196/script.rar.html

ps: alt-fire wrench to create a portal, mod only works in self-created servers...
Last edited by Sars!; 06-29-2006 at 12:06 PM.
Old 06-29-2006, 12:10 PM   #9
SyntaxN

The portal wrench thing is cool, but I donīt really get it how to use it right...
Old 06-29-2006, 12:12 PM   #10
Sars!

Ah, ok then,
You must edit the script, as you prefer. you can right click while wielding the wrench while aiming towards a spot where you want a portal to lead. Then there form a portal on the spot where you right clicked and in front of you. You must stand still while doing this, and if you switch weapons, the portal closes!

ps: I will try to edit the script so that the portal only closes if you try to create a new portal...
Old 06-29-2006, 04:50 PM   #11
IceColdDuke
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuicideRUN
I thought the demo couldn't be Modded?
Theres a way you can either with setting fs_restrict to 0 in autoexec.cfg(I haven't tried this I just read it worked), or you can change it in prey.exe. I forgot the offset but its just changing one byte(its a 6A01 to 6A00). The editors are there as well, I looked at how to enable them before but I couldn't find why AddCommand was not registering the "editor" command, even though AddCommand does get called. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with it being a CMD_TOOL or whatever that was.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:39 PM   #12
Delta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sars!
http://media.putfile.com/PortalModPrey
Watch that then...

Download of mod:
http://rapidshare.de/files/24488196/script.rar.html

ps: alt-fire wrench to create a portal, mod only works in self-created servers...
Are you sure you uploaded the right file? The mod doesn't work for me. Alt-fire on the wrench on a self-created server just gives me regular alt-file. I launched it from the included shortcut and all. Stood still when trying to use it. Didn't switch weapons. etc

Edit: It's in the base folder as well. base\script\weapon.script
Last edited by Delta; 06-29-2006 at 06:47 PM.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:21 PM   #13
IceColdDuke
Type fs_restrict in the console if its one, the game isn't hacked and it wont load the mod.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:36 PM   #14
Delta

fs_restrict is 0
Old 06-30-2006, 12:15 AM   #15
Sars!

Quote:
"C:\Program Files\Prey Demo\prey.exe" +seta fs_restrict 0 +reloadScript
That is the target in the shortcut. Maybe you should enable server-side-mods when creating a server in the advanced tab?
Old 06-30-2006, 12:48 AM   #16
Delta

Did that. No dice.

I took a look at weapon.script, and I don't really see anything special. I think you just uploaded the wrong file or something.

Edit: Also, the date on weapon.script is 5/30/2006. I think what you uploaded is just the original weapon.script, not the modded one. :P
Last edited by Delta; 06-30-2006 at 12:52 AM.
Old 06-30-2006, 01:06 AM   #17
Sars!

w00t, sorry, lemme see, ehm...
http://rapidshare.de/files/24533420/...ch.script.html

ps: That's only the script file, you must place it in base/script
Old 06-30-2006, 01:21 AM   #18
Mrkat
Are you trying to load this in Single Player or MultiPreyer? each game mode uses slightly different commands to start a game, for MP try following this to see if it helps. SP should just start with 'devmap'
Old 06-30-2006, 01:28 AM   #19
Sars!

Ty, I'll try...
Old 06-30-2006, 01:33 AM   #20
Delta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sars!
w00t, sorry, lemme see, ehm...
http://rapidshare.de/files/24533420/...ch.script.html

ps: That's only the script file, you must place it in base/script
Yup. That works. Thanks

Seems a bit buggy though, especially with different gravity areas.

What would be even better though is if you alt-file once to make that spot the spot for portal #1, then you walk somewhere else, press alt-fire again, and that'll be the spot for portal #2. Right now, it just makes portal #1 where you're at, and portal #2 at the spot where you're pointing at.

But I'm no expert on Doom3 engine scripting, so I don't know how feasable that is.

Good mod though.
Old 06-30-2006, 02:59 AM   #21
Sars!

I had some fun with scripting weapons like crawler nade, which I think is too weak in this game. I made it 1 hit kill. I really had fun...
Old 06-30-2006, 04:52 AM   #22
Delta

I may not be an expert on Doom3 engine scripting, but I do have a background in programming (mostly in C#). After looking some things up, I was able to pick up your script pretty quickly.

http://rapidshare.de/files/24546806/...ch.script.html

And thus, I made a mod of your mod. Now, you can spawn portals at any two arbitrary locations using the wrench's alt-fire. Stand at one spot where you want the first portal to be, press alt-fire, stand at another spot, press alt-fire again, and voila. Press alt-fire once more to destroy portals.

I dunno if the code is the most optimized it can be, but it does have much better formatting now. The lack of indentation was driving me nuts. ;P

The only thing I can't figure out is how to account for the player's rotation. The script works fine if you're at 0 rotation, but as soon as you enter a different gravity zone, the portals won't spawn as expected. I think part of the problem is from the fact that you're simply adding the eye height constant to the Z of the origin vector. Problem with that is... what if the player is up-side down, or sideways or whatever? Z is suddenly not up/down anymore. With a game like Prey, you have to consider that.
Last edited by Delta; 06-30-2006 at 04:57 AM.
Old 06-30-2006, 05:19 AM   #23
Sars!

Nicely done, but now there's another problem. You can't close the portals, and if you want to create two others, the game crashes...
Old 06-30-2006, 03:05 PM   #24
Delta

Odd. Works fine for me. Can close portals, make more, doesn't crash.

Make sure you don't have other .script files in the same folder that could possibly be interfering with it.
Old 06-30-2006, 03:58 PM   #25
IceColdDuke
To HH: Why did you guys use a cvar to restrict your filesystem like doom3 and quake4? Wouldn't it have been easier to remove the hd file loading from the filesystem and create a simple function that loads things like the cfg files from the base path? Granted you could still make mods and add them to the PK4's but it would discourage some people.
Old 07-01-2006, 05:29 PM   #26
Delta

Updated the portal wrench.

http://rapidshare.de/files/24685243/...rench.zip.html

The two portals should now be positioned correctly. They still won't be banked/rolled in the right direction, but at least you can spawn portals in any gravity/wallwalk zone now. sys.angToUp() came in handy when fixing the positioning bug.

Only showstopping problem I know of is that the portal wrench will disconnect you from the game if you try to use it after you've died when the portals were still open.

Yes, you CAN die playing with the portal wrench. Try making a portal flat on the ground, and another directly above. Jump into it, and if it's set up right, you'll fall so fast that collision detection won't be able to keep up with the portals, and you'll die from falling damage. Quite amusing. :P

Also changed the Prey Modded shortcut so that you only have to press ~ for the console.

And Sars, I still can't reproduce the problem where you can't create more portals, or close them. Try the version above. If it still doesn't work, then I don't know what the problem is.
Old 07-01-2006, 06:27 PM   #27
Delta

Updated yet again.

http://rapidshare.de/files/24689167/...nch-2.zip.html

You can now use any other weapon after you've spawned the two portals. So now, you can experiment with shooting through them. Switch back to the wrench, press alt-fire, and the portals will close as expected.

I also changed back the Prey Modded shortcut. Turns out it doesn't show the game menu on startup that way. Oops.

Edit: Turns out that the changes in this release also fixed the showstopping problem mentioned in the above post. Nice.
Last edited by Delta; 07-01-2006 at 06:33 PM.
Old 07-01-2006, 07:35 PM   #28
Delta

http://forums.3drealms.com/vb/showthread.php?p=341515

Rather than flood this thread with my updates, I've made my own thread.