3D Realms Anthology

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > 3D Realms Anthology
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

View Poll Results: Digital copy or boxed?
Digital is just fine 7 17.50%
No, I want a boxed version. 33 82.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-25-2014, 07:15 AM   #1
BadRix
Poll: digital or boxed?
I allready posted this in another topic: I would like to have boxed copy of Anthology (packed with some goodies offcourse ), if I was giving the choice (3D Realms doesn't exclude that option in the FAQ, maybe we should push them a bit )

I own a bunch of these classics and a physical copy would be nice. It could be a great collectorsitem as well.

Anyone else?
Old 10-25-2014, 07:18 AM   #2
Cyrix

Re: Poll: digital or boxed?
It would be nice sure. They could even do a limited collectors edition type of thing.
Old 10-25-2014, 02:11 PM   #3
DirtyFexen
It'd be great to see this available as a limited collector's edition if the rights can be sorted out to allow a release.
Old 10-28-2014, 07:01 AM   #4
evilemperorzorg

As I said in another topic, I think a limited release for fans would be nice. 5000 copies or so... and then produce more if there's demand. Broken Sword 5 I think got a release like that.
Old 10-28-2014, 07:54 AM   #5
The Dukenator

Does it really matter?

Physical copies costs extra to manufacture.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:19 PM   #6
Bad Sector

Generally speaking, when given the choice i prefer digital distribution because boxes take up space. However, *in this case*, this can be a collector's item so i'd like the option to have a physical box.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:06 PM   #7
MrBlackCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dukenator View Post
Does it really matter?

Physical copies costs extra to manufacture.
Yes it matters... to the people it matters to. Does the color of an automobile really matter? Only to some. For some people, the game experience goes way beyond the content displayed on the monitor. For games that I care little for, I care for no more depth than a digital download. All that matters is what is on the screen... Angry Birds for example. A box for Angry Birds is not relevant to me.
If were buying a vintage game, automobile etc, I am going to want ties to its past as that is part of its value to me. Maybe things like being a color and version that it was originally offered in.
Most older games came in "classic" retail packages and as these are mostly classic games, the addition of a retail box would simply be a nod to the era from which these games came.

After watching the Q&A with the new 3D Realms (Fred and company) I realize why this possibility is extremely unlikely. I have most of the games anyway, so the desire to have a Boxed item in this case would be of great interest.

I would make my own box if given the opportunity. I would much prefer it to be official of course.

MrBlackCat

*(Not really, sometimes I wear my Time to Kill t-shirt... like while I am washing my other Duke shirts for instance.)
:)
Last edited by MrBlackCat; 10-29-2014 at 07:28 PM.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:28 PM   #8
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

But as I've told people in my two decades of working at Apogee..

The people who hang out on these forums, while very important to the company aren't the complete picture. I think it is a safe bet that if you're posting on the 3D Realms forums in 2014, you want a physical copy. Heck, *I* want a physical copy.

But more drives business choices and decisions than one part of the overall fanbase.

Finally, as BlackCat said, watch the Q&A from the livestream. Has some more insight into this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTXQIi9-f9M

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16
Old 10-29-2014, 08:36 PM   #9
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Physical... digital... I've reached a point I don't really care one way or another.

There are some titles I do have a preference and go for physical if possible. The new 'Wolfenstein: The New Order' I grabbed physical as I've got retail cases for every Wolf game out.
I also grabbed a retail case of 'The Evil Within' because the boxart is awesome.

But, Shadow of Mordor, Alien: Isolation... digital. And I'll probably get FarCry 4 the same way. Right now, while I love my collection, I don't mind getting games through Steam.
I live in such an isolated area that unless I want to order stuff online, I simply can't get physical copies.
So, if I'm going to order online... why not just grab it through Steam and save myself some shipping fees and have it on day one?

The only game I can see me buying a physical copy of in the future... is the new Doom.
Past that, everything else I'm interested in will just be digital.
Again, I love my collection, but... to me, in my eyes, my collection is complete.

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Old 10-30-2014, 04:20 AM   #10
BadRix
There, you said it. You want a physical copy of Doom and the new Wolfenstein. Both games with a history of boxed copy's. Games from a time when taking the game off the shelf, was just as exciting as playing it. A picture that says it all:

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/80...0309150521.jpg

No special edition, no limited version...just how the standard version was sold.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:03 AM   #11
Rapture_Rising

I prefer digital because it's a pain in the rear going to the store and picking up a game where it's just easier and cheaper buying all my games digital but that said, i am a sucker for special collectors editions.
Old 10-30-2014, 04:37 PM   #12
The Dukenator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture_Rising View Post
I prefer digital because it's a pain in the rear going to the store and picking up a game where it's just easier and cheaper buying all my games digital but that said, i am a sucker for special collectors editions.
Depending on the game, it was the only way to get a dvd copy. Standard edition would only be on cd.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:59 PM   #13
fast-1

One thing is when you play the game, you want to know what are the controls for the character.

K/M or gamepad.
Even something to read, like a manual. digital copys should have a easy way to learn how to play.
Don't really mind digital or boxed.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:41 AM   #14
Waiter

As most people in here, I suppose, I already have most of the games on the list in one form or another. Another digital download is close to pointless for me to buy. If there would be a box though, I would probably buy it for sentimental reasons.

On the other hand I understand the difficulties and why this will probably never happen.
Old 10-31-2014, 05:02 AM   #15
The Dukenator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast-1 View Post
One thing is when you play the game, you want to know what are the controls for the character.

K/M or gamepad.
Even something to read, like a manual. digital copys should have a easy way to learn how to play.
Don't really mind digital or boxed.
Speaking of manuals, I've seen recent games come with an in-game manual or a sheet telling you where to download the full manual.
In either case, I prefer the print manual. But then again...

You could always look at the game control settings on how to play the game.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:26 PM   #16
Crkfiend
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Siegler View Post
But as I've told people in my two decades of working at Apogee..

The people who hang out on these forums, while very important to the company aren't the complete picture. I think it is a safe bet that if you're posting on the 3D Realms forums in 2014, you want a physical copy. Heck, *I* want a physical copy.

But more drives business choices and decisions than one part of the overall fanbase.

Finally, as BlackCat said, watch the Q&A from the livestream. Has some more insight into this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTXQIi9-f9M
I consider myself a huge 3DR legacy fan, and I wouldn't give the time of day to a digital anthology. If most of your legacy 3dr fans prefer boxed, then who is the demographic for this?

I would love to have this on disc.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:35 PM   #17
IceColdDuke
I'd want a boxed copy but personally I've gotten over scratched disc and such so honestly I could deal with the digital copy.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:06 PM   #18
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crkfiend View Post
I consider myself a huge 3DR legacy fan, and I wouldn't give the time of day to a digital anthology. If most of your legacy 3dr fans prefer boxed, then who is the demographic for this?
A bit wider of an audience than the 24 that answered the poll on this thread.

Old 11-20-2014, 12:25 PM   #19
BloodShed

I think the poll options are too binary for me to bother answering it.
Last.fm profile
Old 11-24-2014, 12:25 PM   #20
fast-1

Or make your own boxed, buy CD/DVD case, labels, then print out cover, then look at the downloads to add the CD/DVD.
Old 11-28-2014, 08:36 AM   #21
Alyxx

In a perfect world, a boxed version of 3D Realms Anthology would exist in a big box like the one shown teasingly as a picture...
Old 04-06-2015, 07:57 PM   #22
Clint Flicker

Boxed, for a simple reason. I can read a physical manual while playing a game. But I cannot read a digital manual at the same time, and on the same machine, I'm using to play a game!
Old 04-06-2015, 08:56 PM   #23
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint Flicker View Post
Boxed, for a simple reason. I can read a physical manual while playing a game. But I cannot read a digital manual at the same time, and on the same machine, I'm using to play a game!
You can when you have three monitors.

Old 04-06-2015, 09:34 PM   #24
Hank

Any significant game needs a box.

Reason number one - how does one collect collector's item from GoG or Steam?
Reason number two - the nearest game shop is a five minutes walk from the office.
Reason number three - when a game ain't not no real good, like Watch Dog's for PC, it is so much fun tossing the box and its content, maybe even smashing it a bit first, into the trash can. With Steam, all one can do is delete some mysterious bites, no fun what so ever.
Old 04-09-2015, 10:45 PM   #25
Lunick Fiore

I know 3D Realms isn't "Indie" but maybe something could be setup with IndieBox https://theindiebox.com/
Old 04-09-2015, 11:41 PM   #26
Robman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
Any significant game needs a box.
Agreed.
Old 04-11-2015, 09:31 PM   #27
Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robman View Post
Agreed.
Thanks.
Old 04-13-2015, 03:16 PM   #28
Robman

You know I love ya Hanky Pank

Also, if you can't hold it in your hands, you don't own it.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:17 PM   #29
Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robman View Post
You know I love ya Hanky Pank

Also, if you can't hold it in your hands, you don't own it.
don't go on making me blush now but hey luv ya too

Nah, it goes further for me, since like the age of 10 I collect stuff. Some item gain in value and some well just are. Right now, the floppies of Doom are not worth much, but what about thirty years from now, when no one knows what a floppy is? - Some games in the offering here are good games. So I think it's worth it to make a boxed version out of them. And yes, I'll pay the extra.
Old 05-15-2015, 07:01 AM   #30
Lunick Fiore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunick Fiore View Post
I know 3D Realms isn't "Indie" but maybe something could be setup with IndieBox https://theindiebox.com/
Hmm... https://twitter.com/3drealms/status/599195908857667584
Old 05-18-2015, 03:24 PM   #31
ixfd64

The 3D Realms store page does show an image of a boxed copy: https://3drealms.com/catalog/3d-realms-anthology_50

I wonder if that is a hint of things to come?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunick Fiore View Post
That link is now returning a 404 error.

Visit my forums!
Last edited by ixfd64; 05-18-2015 at 03:31 PM.
Old 05-18-2015, 04:58 PM   #32
Hendricks266
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfd64 View Post
The 3D Realms store page does show an image of a boxed copy: https://3drealms.com/catalog/3d-realms-anthology_50

That has been there since the day the Anthology was released in October. It's decorative.

By the way, your "Visit my forums!" link in your signature is a Windows system repair scam.
Last edited by Hendricks266; 05-18-2015 at 05:04 PM.
Old 05-18-2015, 05:04 PM   #33
MrBlackCat

A while back I directly messaged/asked if they would at least release that concept/mock-up art shown in the above linked image so that those of us who are able to make a box, could do so. (got no reply, but I am sure they are busy)
I would do it.

MrBlackCat

*(Not really, sometimes I wear my Time to Kill t-shirt... like while I am washing my other Duke shirts for instance.)
:)
Old 05-18-2015, 05:40 PM   #34
ixfd64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendricks266 View Post
That has been there since the day the Anthology was released in October. It's decorative.
I see. So the picture is just for show at the moment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendricks266 View Post
By the way, your "Visit my forums!" link in your signature is a Windows system repair scam.
Fixed. I haven't touched my forum in ages, and the .tk domain had long expired. It's more of a relic of the past than any serious attempt to run a forum now.

Visit my forums!
Old 05-23-2015, 05:07 PM   #35
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Quote:

No. That image has been there since Day 1 of the anthology. It is *NOT* an indicator of anything. It's just there to have something visual on the website.

Old 05-23-2015, 10:06 PM   #36
The Dukenator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Siegler View Post
No. That image has been there since Day 1 of the anthology. It is *NOT* an indicator of anything. It's just there to have something visual on the website.
You could let us print out the boxart for ourselves, so we could have a physical (dummy) copy.

Quote:
The image is meant to represent the large game boxes and the game cd jewel cases from the 90s-2000s. Most of the games listed were available on physical media over the years. But the actual anthology is not on physical media.