What the hell, is it true?
Old 05-14-2009, 09:21 PM   #2
Superczar

Re: Take Two Sues 3D Realms :O
http://forums.3drealms.com/vb/showpo...3&postcount=97
Old 05-14-2009, 09:27 PM   #3
Theonewayman

So it is true. I hope this don't effect the employees, they sure don't need this now.

And sorry for the double thread a moderator can delete or move it if he wants.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:30 PM   #4
Ironside

Shocking news. This could be the only way that us fans get to play DNF. I dont think Apogee could pull 3dr and dnf back from this.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:33 PM   #5
Superczar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theonewayman View Post
So it is true. I hope this don't effect the employees, they sure don't need this now.

And sorry for the double thread a moderator can delete or move it if he wants.
Ah this wasn't a double thread really, I just wanted to let you know bout the conversation on this that was there.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:39 PM   #6
Yenji

The hell? Didn't expect that...

Seems kind of odd to turn down the chance to help them finish the game and then sue them for not releasing it
Old 05-14-2009, 09:48 PM   #7
Delicieuxz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironside View Post
Shocking news. This could be the only way that us fans get to play DNF. I dont think Apogee could pull 3dr and dnf back from this.
The suit isn't going to start for another year, and T2 are seeking an order to prevent 3dR from altering the game until the end of the suit - at which point the game may belong to T2 and no longer 3dR. So, from that point, T2 would have to pick up development on the game themselves and with their own team. Training the team and getting them familiar with the project will take time, as will development once they are able to work smoothly with it. You probably won't be seeing DNF for at least another 2 years if Take-Two are successful with this suit, and by that point it will be a bargain-bin title due to very outdated graphics.

If 3dR finished development on their own (had they the funds), they would be finished in under a year - according to all recent information that has come to light.
Anticipating: GTA V, The Banner Saga, Wasteland 2, Assassin's Creed III, Overgrowth, Star Wars: 1313, Double Fine Adventure, Grim Dawn, Guild Wars 2, Doom 4, MechWarrior Online, Hawken, Far Cry 3, Dishonored, Xenonauts, Baldur's Gate EE
Old 05-14-2009, 09:52 PM   #8
Gideon

I didn't see this coming, but I'm not surprised. I don't guess I can blame Take 2, but this is not a good thing for Apogee. I'd still like to see the game delivered, but only if 3d realms or Apogee does it. It's a damn shame....
Old 05-14-2009, 09:54 PM   #9
v.o

im ******* angry, i have 3D skills, and im ******* angry on 3DR, and They and some users hate me for it! so Apogee or 3DR woult never take eny work from my, even for free. They dont want me to work for them, free or paid.

SO : i will make a Duke Nukem Forever Total Convertion using the Cryengine. I will Use All the Leaked Data (map, Plot, Storyboard,) all screenshots,video, and some Closeups for making Textures and 3Dmodells. And i will Release it withinvfew Months.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:54 PM   #10
Superczar

What would really be balls is if T2 plotted this along by denying 3dr the supposed 5 million they asked for. Of course if any of this is what's really happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.o View Post
im ******* angry, i have 3D skills, and im ******* angry on 3DR, and They and some users hate me for it! so Apogee or 3DR woult never take eny work from my, even for free. They dont want me to work for them, free or paid.

SO : i will make a Duke Nukem Forever Total Convertion using the Cryengine. I will Use All the Leaked Data (map, Plot, Storyboard,) all screenshots,video, and some Closeups for making Textures and 3Dmodells. And i will Release it withinvfew Months.
And see where that lands you. Stealing is bad mmmkay?

And just when you started typing better, you go back to this nonsense.
Last edited by Superczar; 05-14-2009 at 09:58 PM.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:58 PM   #11
Delicieuxz

Quote:

Lol! If you made it, I'd play it. 5 months? I won't say what's possible and what isn't, but let's see.

I think you'd quickly receive a Cease & Desist order, though.
Anticipating: GTA V, The Banner Saga, Wasteland 2, Assassin's Creed III, Overgrowth, Star Wars: 1313, Double Fine Adventure, Grim Dawn, Guild Wars 2, Doom 4, MechWarrior Online, Hawken, Far Cry 3, Dishonored, Xenonauts, Baldur's Gate EE
Old 05-14-2009, 10:03 PM   #12
wayskobfssae

Wow, so Take 2 was given the exact same story that we were all these years. Kinda funny, really, because "Apogee repeatedly assured Take-Two and the video-gaming community that it was diligently working toward competing development of the PC Version of the Duke Nukem Forever." is pretty much exactly what an irate fan would say in a lawsuit.

"OMGZ! You kept us waiting FOREVER (get it? ha ha) and THIS is what we get? I'm suing!"

I'm kinda surprised by the details though. I thought it was going to be about the media leaks.
Last edited by wayskobfssae; 05-14-2009 at 10:06 PM.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:06 PM   #13
Bad Sector

So, Take 2 wants to drive 3D Realms to bankruptcy by forcing them to pay some cash ($12m was mentioned) they know 3DR doesn't have, so they can grab the IP and game from a company liquidation (or somethnig like that) and half-assingly finish it.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:07 PM   #14
Derfernet
Quote:

graphx
Old 05-14-2009, 10:10 PM   #15
Aftermath1349
Wow, what a d!ck move...

You turn down the company for the extra funds they need and then sue? Yes they have been promising it for years but does that make T2 any better for suing after essentially letting the company die?

Haven't T2 only been the publisher for a couple years?
Old 05-14-2009, 10:11 PM   #16
wayskobfssae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Sector View Post
So, Take 2 wants to drive 3D Realms to bankruptcy by forcing them to pay some cash ($12m was mentioned) they know 3DR doesn't have, so they can grab the IP and game from a company liquidation (or somethnig like that) and half-assingly finish it.
Horray for art becoming an industry.

It'll be like a Hollywood remake. DN4E is so famous as is the predecessor, any "normal" corporation who gets their hands on it will realize that the world will buy it just for the title, regardless of how crappy it is.

I think NOW it is pretty safe to say that Duke is dead.
Last edited by wayskobfssae; 05-14-2009 at 10:13 PM.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:22 PM   #17
Jiminator

what is this pissedoffness at ttwo? they gave 3dr an interest free loan 9 years ago for 12 million. What have they received since then? Nothing. They wanted 25 million to release the IP. That is probably a 10% loan to get out of the deal. 3DR wanted another 5 mil. For what? Lots of promises and incentives to come through. Nothing has worked. They guys might see a good ray tracing demo next year and decide to change engines again. There is a problem here but you need to put the blame on the people who caused it.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:25 PM   #18
Ironside

i'm hoping take 2 finish DNF.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:26 PM   #19
Blue Lightning

Wait, has 3DR takin any funds yet from Take Two? If not, then take two has ZERO coming.

Edit: Oh I didnt know they gave GB 12 million. Well, in that case...
Old 05-14-2009, 10:28 PM   #20
Ironside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Lightning View Post
Wait, has 3DR takin any funds yet from Take Two? If not, then take two has ZERO coming.

Edit: Oh I didnt know they gave GB 12 million. Well, in that case...
Dude cant you read?
Old 05-14-2009, 10:54 PM   #21
Blue Lightning

Yes, which is why I edited the post (which is in the quote you posted! )

Right now, Georges best option is to finish the game. Then, Take Two has no lawsuit. It's that simple. If GB is reading the forum, I will give some advice:

"George, sell you house, your boats, do whatever, but get the damn thing finished. It's crunch time, and Take Two is forcing your hand".

I too am a business man. Not long ago I had to sell off some stuff, including my gold jewlery just to keep the bank paid and my business going. It was grim, but I knew that keeping the bank paid, thus keeping my credit, was most important. Keeping your credit, or your word (same thing) trumps all else in business. And not doing it will only get you in bigger trouble anyway, as GB is now seeing. Take Two is huge and has big resources. Hell, their a public company...they can afford a team of attorneys. 3DR is not in that same position right now. Finish the game.
Last edited by Blue Lightning; 05-14-2009 at 11:03 PM.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:05 PM   #22
Ironside

No chance.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:13 PM   #23
Blue Lightning

Look, people have to be reasonable. I'm a big Duke and 3DR fan myself. But the big 800 pound gorrilla in the room is...12 years. It shouldnt of taken 12 years as we all know. Forget so called perfection. Sometimes you have to go with what you got, despite "non perfection", to get a game out in a reasonable time. 12 years is nowhere near reasonable.

If "perfection" trumped "reasonable time period for release", then Duke Nukem 3D would not of been released in 1996, with oncoming technology of 3D models that was already known about (later released with Quake). 3DR would of waited then. Hell, 3DR would not of released DN3D in DOS, knowing that windows was going to be the new operating system that would kill DOS. But In 1996, GB was being reasonable.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:26 PM   #24
Tualmasok

Why all the backlash against Take 2?

3D Realms is the party that has FAILED to deliver, again and again.

Take 2 entered into a legal agreement with 3DR - They fund 3DR with $12 mil, 3DR make DNF for Take 2 to release. AFAIK, they are not making the game anymore, hence, Take 2 want to recoup their loss. Makes sense to me.

It's like if you ordered a custom PC. You pay in advance, go to pick it up after a more than reasonable amount of build time (let's say, 12 YEARS!), and the guy that you paid is sitting there with palms out saying "We ran out of money just before we finished, and, um, you can't have it - Sorry".

Bad business is bad business. Sorry.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:31 PM   #25
Derfernet
Where did this "they funded 3d realms with 12 mil" come from? The article on shack news said they bought out the company that had the publishing rights for 12 mil, not that any went towards development.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:35 PM   #26
Blue Lightning

Doesnt matter. Either way Take Two spent 12 million on behalf of 3D Realms. And now they want to either recoup their losses, or force GB to finish the game. My guess is that they would rather have a finished game.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:42 PM   #27
Tualmasok

Rather than guess, presume or speculate, I want to know what you guys would do if you were in Take 2's position...

Would you freak out as well?
Old 05-14-2009, 11:43 PM   #28
Pycine
Quote:
Doesnt matter. Either way Take Two spent 12 million on behalf of 3D Realms. And now they want to either recoup their losses, or force GB to finish the game. My guess is that they would rather have a finished game.
On behalf? My interpretation is that they paid somebody else 12 million dollars for a contract they THOUGHT would be worth more than that. That's their gamble, and 3D Realms has little to do with that. As with any business decision, there's risk in buying a contract like that. Of course, whether or not there's agreements in that contract making damn sure they get their game or their 12 million, we don't know.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:45 PM   #29
Tualmasok

You guys do realise WW2 was started and resolved in less time than it took to get to this point in Dukes development, and that includes the creation of the atomic bomb, one of mankinds greatest scientific achievements.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:52 PM   #30
wayskobfssae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tualmasok View Post
You guys do realise WW2 was started and resolved in less time than it took to get to this point in Dukes development, and that includes the creation of the atomic bomb, one of mankinds greatest scientific achievements.
Let's wait and see if it takes the LHC longer than DN4E to get up & running.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:55 PM   #31
Blue Lightning

Duke nukem Forever is also one of mankinds greatest acheivments...at least from the screenies I have seen.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:04 AM   #32
Tualmasok

Quote:
Duke nukem Forever is also one of mankinds greatest acheivments...at least from the screenies I have seen.
Yeah, I watched that leaked movie. Jizz pants all around. Man I would love to see the game released.

---------- Post added at 12:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 AM ----------

It doesn't lessen my rage, however.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:11 AM   #33
dan2091

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tualmasok View Post
Rather than guess, presume or speculate, I want to know what you guys would do if you were in Take 2's position...

Would you freak out as well?
"See, we're a company of simple tastes. we like game franchises... and acquisition sprees... and suing! Do you know what all of these things have in common? They're lucrative! You see, nobody panics when things go according to plan. Even if the plan is horrifying. If we told people that our company was going to get taken over by EA, or that we were told to shut the f*ck up, nobody would panic. Because it's all part of the plan. But tell people that one tiny little game is not going to be released and everyone loses their minds!"
Old 05-15-2009, 12:11 AM   #34
Nihilanth

Wow... just wow. 3DR are seriously f*cked.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:21 AM   #35
Jiminator

12 years. they could have released 4 games in that time, each one a generation better then the last. They would be swimming in cash, the fans would be happy, the publisher would be happy and the last game would probably be as good as what you see now. Instead everybody is pissed off. Because of some strange perfection bullshit....
Old 05-15-2009, 12:27 AM   #36
Krust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Sector View Post
Frankly, I'm starting to hope they do.
By now, imho 3DRealms have proven to be incompetent to release the game.
And by that I mean the management (If you can call it that), not the creativity of the team.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:15 AM   #37
peoplessi

Quote:
Oh shit you have no comprehension skills at all 12million was paid to get the publishing rights. That money wasn't for DNF development at all.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:15 AM   #38
NonSequitur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiminator View Post
12 years. they could have released 4 games in that time, each one a generation better then the last. They would be swimming in cash, the fans would be happy, the publisher would be happy and the last game would probably be as good as what you see now. Instead everybody is pissed off. Because of some strange perfection bullshit....
I don't think it even came down to 3D Realms being perfectionists - the big problem was management of time and funds. They tried to finish this game with how many staff? 25-35? That is NOT enough for a major AAA title. Look at the credits list for any other big game, they're huge. I think 3DR should have bit the bullet a long time ago and hired another 30 staff to get the thing done while they still had money. It all comes down to bad management.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:05 AM   #39
Jiminator

No, how many restarts did they do? 3 different graphic engines? Who knows what else happened behind the scenes...
Old 05-15-2009, 02:33 AM   #40
Tualmasok

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan2091 View Post
"See, we're a company of simple tastes. we like game franchises... and acquisition sprees... and suing! Do you know what all of these things have in common? They're lucrative! You see, nobody panics when things go according to plan. Even if the plan is horrifying. If we told people that our company was going to get taken over by EA, or that we were told to shut the f*ck up, nobody would panic. Because it's all part of the plan. But tell people that one tiny little game is not going to be released and everyone loses their minds!"
Yeah, um, you dick?! It's not some fantasy story where someone bad is picking on someone good - A legally binding contract exists. If you got ****** in the ass the same way Take 2 did, would you sit back and go "Hmmm... I love being pounded in the ass and made to look stupid"?

Oh! You would? Then **** off and die. No one will miss you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krust View Post
Frankly, I'm starting to hope they do.
By now, imho 3DRealms have proven to be incompetent to release the game.
And by that I mean the management (If you can call it that), not the creativity of the team.
I don't think this can be stressed enough:
To the people that assisted with the creative development of Duke Nukem Forever (that we have seen via leaks, etc...); YOU GUYS HAVE TALENT SECRETING FROM EVERY ORIFICE IN YOUR BODY! "I Am Legend" was stolen via time machine from your resumes title. The quality of the game that we have seen is second to none, and anyone that wants to whine doesn't know the difference between AVI quality and fullscreen HD hardware quality. My ass is still sore from watching that leak - I quite like the ache.

And too right on the management qualm. Anyone responsible for executive decisions pertaining to the development of DNF should be sent to New Zealand in a sheep costume.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiminator View Post
Possibly the most intelligent shit I have heard since the 6th.

Come on 3DR - LET US KNOW WTF IS GOING ON!

I swear, that Wii is looking better by the day. But what do I do with my 3870x2? Use it for FACEBOOK?!?