Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Other Apogee/3D Realms Games > Max Payne
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 04-14-2003, 08:24 PM   #1
The language the MP engine was written in?
Just out of curiosity, what programming language was the Max Payne Engine written in?

I assume C/C++ since it is one of the most popular and portable languages for all kinds of software;

So..... what language?

Old 04-14-2003, 09:23 PM   #2
poo_al
Re: The language the MP engine was written in?
C++. You can see that they have objects communicating with each other if you toggle the console once in a while.

People don't use C as much these days.
Old 04-15-2003, 12:08 AM   #3
biXen
Yup, almost everything is Visual C++ or similar these days.
Old 04-15-2003, 03:52 AM   #4
Omario
no one seems to understand the difference between the Max code and C++, what you see on the console is the Max code,it is a code developed using C++. The Max code is really easy to use. The commands make sense unlike C.
EDIT: Pool_al, is that really you in the avatar?
A firm-breasted, Max Payne-playing babe from Canada... never saw it coming... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

[ 04-15-2003, 04:55 AM: Message edited by: Omario ]
Old 04-15-2003, 04:21 AM   #5
biXen
Omario: wouldn't call that code, that's scripting. That's what most modders get to modify games.
Old 04-15-2003, 05:00 AM   #6
theHunted
still the max-fx scripting is quite similar to c++ at certain points.

especially fsm commands like
xyz->blabla(1, 2);

do have exactly the same syntax.
in c++, "->" would mean calling a function or method called "blabla" on the pointer "xyz" with the 2 arguments "1" and "2". and i think thats also the way max-fx scripting is internally working.

they might just be handling those commands as some form of pre-processor text which is inserted into the source 1:1 before compiling.

hopefully i didnt scare too many people with my, a little bit too, technical analysis [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-15-2003, 05:24 AM   #7
biXen
IMO it doesn't matter, Actionscript (Flash) and Javascript (Netscape, etc.) also basically is the same "syntax" as C++ , but it's still scripting, and it's not really object-orientated. At least not beneath the theorethical levels. I get your point, but it's not really a point. If you know VB you can easily adapt to Javascript, Java, C++, and vice versa mostly, they are all pretty similar. But between Max's scripting and C++ there are huge differences which you know.
Old 04-15-2003, 05:41 AM   #8
theHunted
Quote:
Originally posted by biXen:
If you know VB you can easily adapt to Javascript, Java, C++, and vice versa mostly, they are all pretty similar. But between Max's scripting and C++ there are huge differences which you know.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">vb is completely different if i remember the old days again [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

i know, max-fx scripting is a scripting language they invented and that it doesnt stand in any relation to regular c++ or any other software developing languages. i was just pointing out that i personally was rather suprised about some of the similarities to the syntax of the script. although c++, java and other languages have their similarities they dont use exactly the same syntax (which max-fx scripting does at certain parts)
Old 04-15-2003, 05:49 AM   #9
biXen
They probably did it intentionally, since the whole scripting is really based around programming logics, which makes it far less confusing for us newbs [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-15-2003, 07:29 AM   #10
Maddieman

Quote:
The "Remedy Script" used in the game database is not a programming language. It's more like a script for defining values and default behaviors.

It is not case sensitive
It has basic #define and #include support
Strings can be used without double quotes if they don't contain spaces.
// and /* */ are used like in C style commenting
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
Old 04-15-2003, 04:49 PM   #11
poo_al
Quote:
Originally posted by Omario:
A firm-breasted, Max Payne-playing babe from Canada... never saw it coming... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Neither did I. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

No, that isn't me [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] . In fact, you've inspired me to add a link to my signature detailing some informaton about Ms. Bewbiez.
Old 04-16-2003, 12:21 AM   #12
biXen
Quote:
Originally posted by poo_al:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Omario:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Neither did I. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

No, that isn't me [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] . In fact, you've inspired me to add a link to my signature detailing some informaton about Ms. Bewbiez.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Bah, you keep distracting me with that picture, it's like.......... what the hell was I talking aboobs?
Old 04-16-2003, 03:24 PM   #13
tommulder
yea its damn distracting... heh so distracting ive come over from the MP Modding section [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img] hehe
Old 04-17-2003, 01:17 AM   #14
neeek
man your avatar of the big jugs babe is really sexy. sooo how the hell did you get that pic eh? it looks like that pics taken where she's on the cpu and using the webcam to chat to ppl and such. most of these webcam pics are on profiles from yahoo chat or msn chat and so so.

im gonna tell you right now that the gal in your avatar is sooo my type of gal. dark hair, eyes, great body and not too skinny cos i hate the skinny anorexic crap and looks very toned n full figured [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] and the boobs arrrrrr
(drools) my guess is hers are 38dd. i like them a lot higher and larger than that size let me tell you [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

everyone, put all your babe avatars on your post thing and really get attention.
there was this babe avatar i saw at max payne headquarters forums and this avatar was a babe who was really blonde n had brown eyes and look similar to the singer anastacia. man i wanna marry that chick that looks like that avatar, the blonde one that is.
maybe yours too poo-al.

if anyone from mpheadquarters that knows of this avatar of that blonde pic in the forums plssss tell me and let me know [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] cos she's hot.
Old 04-17-2003, 05:31 PM   #15
poo_al
Quote:
Originally posted by biXen:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by poo_al:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Omario:

</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Bah, you keep distracting me with that picture, it's like.......... what the hell was I talking aboobs?
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> [img]graemlins/love.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/nelson.gif[/img]