Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Other Apogee/3D Realms Games > Max Payne
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 01-20-2003, 10:33 AM   #41
PlayfulPuppy
Re: Max Payne II
Quote:
Originally posted by neeek:
Lots and lots of crap
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Seems to me like this is another nail created by the devil known as 'Red Faction'.

Having fully destructable/useable/throwable world is just not logic for a story-driven game.

What you're looking for is an environment, not a game. Stuff like GTA3 without the missions.

Yes, it WOULD be possible to make a game like this, but it would probably get old VERY fast, have no storyline whatsoever, and be ugly as sin (In both framerate and the fact that you wouldn't be able to have much detail in anything).

That, and it would probably take ages to make.
Old 01-20-2003, 06:12 PM   #42
Claws
I've said it before and I'll say it again, if MP2 offers the same gameplay of MP in a brand new shiny package then not many people will think much of it. The sequel needs to have something new and fresh. Bullet time won't cut it. So far, I'm really not excited about this sequel. Hopefully Remedy has a couple of tricks up there sleeve.
Old 01-20-2003, 07:51 PM   #43
jimbob

wil there be spacestations ???

WIL THERE ??

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-21-2003, 11:20 PM   #44
Maniac536
You've gotta be kidding me.

-Maniac

Old 01-22-2003, 09:09 PM   #45
Krursk

Well All I want in max payne 2 is nicer graphics (ie per pixel lighting, higher polycounts, facial animation etc) and some kind of per pixel damage system kinda like Rouge Spear or Golden Eye. Max payne with a facelift will be great.
Old 01-23-2003, 02:38 PM   #46
Mongorian

a facelift would be good, but not enough. it also needs fresh story elements, and hopefully it will offer more clever bits than the first one.
Old 01-23-2003, 04:16 PM   #47
mysteryperfecta

On January 12th of this year, GB said this on the Shacknews forums:

"[Remedy is] farther this Jan on Max 2 than the Jan Max 1 was released."

Max Payne was released near the end of July, so if what GB said is at all accurate (GB+estimating=poopcicle [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ), then Max Payne 2 will easily surface in 2003.
Old 01-23-2003, 04:59 PM   #48
RollingBrass
I said it once, and I'm gonna say it again. If there isn't a "What about moving?" easter egg, I'm going to cry.

You don't want to see me cry? Do you? DO YOU!?

Put it in, or Ted's brains are gonna be smeared all over the damned wall! [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/tinyted.gif[/img]
Old 01-23-2003, 05:08 PM   #49
Bushido

^^yeah. I was a little peeved myself when I didn't find a "what about moving?" van parked in the street...that would've been classic... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-23-2003, 06:26 PM   #50
Maddieman

Quote:
Originally posted by mysteryperfecta:
On January 12th of this year, GB said this on the Shacknews forums:

"[Remedy is] farther this Jan on Max 2 than the Jan Max 1 was released."

Max Payne was released near the end of July, so if what GB said is at all accurate (GB+estimating=poopcicle [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ), then Max Payne 2 will easily surface in 2003.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yikes...maybe I shouldn't laze around with my mod afterall - I thought I had most of the year. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 01-24-2003, 08:34 AM   #51
Fraeon Waser Duhni

...Can't say much else but that Max II needs a bit more randomness into the events and the ability assign more controls than just the default ones and loads of new commands to fool around with...
Old 01-26-2003, 01:32 AM   #52
Crim
As long as there are no crazy dream puzzle sequences, I'm happy [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-26-2003, 01:46 AM   #53
Maniac536
I personally liked the dream sequences.

They're okay with me on two conditions.

1. Used sparingly (twice at most)
2. You don't really die, if you die you just automatically go back to the beginning of the puzzle. (not the level)

I could understand dying with the first mp dream sequences. Maybe the valkyr could take you too far, maybe niagra hit you too much with his bat and you weren't able to stay consious well enough.

And why did everyone think the baby was annoying? I thought it was okay.

-Maniac

Old 02-02-2003, 01:39 PM   #54
shadow fox
Quote:
Originally posted by Sloth:
I dont know why they are making a whole new Max Payne to begin with, it took them forever to do the first one.

The original game still kicks ass over the stuff thats still out, in fact other than DooM 3 I dont' see much competition for it on the horizon either.

I think they should have just done an expansion pack. Good story + action is what drives max payne.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">what about splinter cell for PC? or that new tomb raider, um angel of darkness? how bout delta force:black hawk down? the list goes on but so far doom 3 is no problem untill it comes out. by that time no one will remeber poor old max payne, unless the sequal blows the scoring system away making all state-of-the-art games look like pong.
Old 02-02-2003, 05:47 PM   #55
biXen
Splinter Cell is a stealthy game, not comparable. Tomb Raider is ... well, no Tomb Raider games has been good since nr 1, and I wouldn't buy it even if it was good again. Doom 3 doesn't seem interesting, mainly because it's gonna be a scary game, which I don't like, and I doubt scary games have such a big crowd as Max Payne or GTA3 or those types of games. I think Max Payne 2 is gonna rock, they do improvement over 2 years, it's not just a map pack. But gotta say I'm looking more forward to the game Remedy does after that, cause that won't be Max Payne. Unless someone (Take2) REALLY forks out money...
Old 02-24-2003, 09:30 PM   #56
PimpinMrT
Quote:
Originally posted by Sloth:
I dont know why they are making a whole new Max Payne to begin with, it took them forever to do the first one.

The original game still kicks ass over the stuff thats still out, in fact other than DooM 3 I dont' see much competition for it on the horizon either.

I think they should have just done an expansion pack. Good story + action is what drives max payne.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">What about Quake 4??? Its coming out too and that will provide quite a bit of competrition.
Old 03-06-2003, 08:49 PM   #57
shadow fox
Quote:
Originally posted by biXen:
Splinter Cell is a stealthy game, not comparable. Tomb Raider is ... well, no Tomb Raider games has been good since nr 1, and I wouldn't buy it even if it was good again. Doom 3 doesn't seem interesting, mainly because it's gonna be a scary game, which I don't like, and I doubt scary games have such a big crowd as Max Payne or GTA3 or those types of games. I think Max Payne 2 is gonna rock, they do improvement over 2 years, it's not just a map pack. But gotta say I'm looking more forward to the game Remedy does after that, cause that won't be Max Payne. Unless someone (Take2) REALLY forks out money...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">bixen has no appreciation for fine games

I am really sorry to say this but I've given up on MAX PAYNE II. seems like a warm distant dream that dosnt seem like it will come true
[img]graemlins/brickwall.gif[/img] it has just been so long. i have had it with max payne it is just boring now. ive found every secret, killed every bad guy, on every level beeten the secret level with only the beretta, and ive made about one hundered seventy million mods. just come out with something soon that I can just go to comp usa and buy.
how about max is in prision and he must figure out a way to keep from dropping the soap in the shower [img]graemlins/brickwall.gif[/img]
Old 03-06-2003, 09:30 PM   #58
RollingBrass
Quote:
Originally posted by shadow fox:
I am really sorry to say this but I've given up on MAX PAYNE II. seems like a warm distant dream that dosnt seem like it will come true
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">What in the bloody hell are you talking about? They stated that they were further along this year in development on Max Payne 2 in relation to the year that they released Max Payne 1, meaning that it's probably going to be out before July.
Old 03-07-2003, 04:54 AM   #59
biXen
Splinter Cell is a fine game, I'm just not interested in it. Tomb Raider 1 was good, the rest has been crap (with each game giving Lara Croft bigger tits). Doom 3 doesn't interest me either, and I don't really like the way the graphics looks in it either. DNF interests me, and I'm sure they have managed to make Max Payne 2 pretty owning in these about 1,5 - 2 years they make it.
Old 03-08-2003, 08:36 AM   #60
Fraeon Waser Duhni

...I wonder what will happen after Max Payne II? Take2 will assign some other team like Gray Matter studios to work on a sequel for it and we'll end up with another 4 year wait and a game of the same quality as RTCW...? [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-08-2003, 10:13 AM   #61
SkavenRMD
Remedy Staff
Now that wouldn't be too bad, would it? At least I found RtCW a quality product. And if they hire two teams and use the Unreal / Quake engine, you'd get decent multiplayer as well.
Old 03-09-2003, 08:48 AM   #62
biXen
Hmm, maybe I should change my site to Remedy Reactor, afterall Max Payne might be very uninteresting after Max Payne 2 [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-10-2003, 06:51 AM   #63
tommulder
well personally, i loved the weapons in MP1... you get lots of games (and mods [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] ) everywhere that use all these fricking electro bastard ray weapons that arent even made - "Beretta M9f SD w/laser dot and 48x scope" remedy just made it feel class using normal weapons - nothing was EVER as cool as getting to the hotel in july 2001 shootdodging the two finito brothers with dual berettas, blasting the first one as he make 3" holes in the wood behind you with a sawn off, and the other crouching behind that sofa taking hunks out of the furniture with his desert eagle =)

i would like to see some secondary firing (i wana mod that!!!), and some lens effects or something when in bullettime, so you know your actually in SLOWMO not just a scree flash at the beggining.

what about realtim bullet dodging... hit a key and then use directions to make max move as volies of bullets come at him, as he does this kinda caopiera-esque balad around them [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

oh, and in the graphic novel, there were uzis and an ak47, and they were never there [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] that was the ONLY inconsistancy i ever saw. but really, Remedy you made an amazing game - it really made me go WOW and shiver... the first game is my favouite ever. these are just ideas, not critising points. not problems with the first, improvements to the second [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

oh one last thing... if you have some spare time, could there possibly be more mod support? ya know have more variables, less FSM restrictions to different things?

[ 03-10-2003, 06:55 AM: Message edited by: tommulder ]
Old 03-10-2003, 10:02 AM   #64
tommulder
oh! one more thing... let projectiles attach themselves onto moving stuff (characters, weapon systems etc) so we can have blood patches and working clips [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

hmmmmm i went on abit here didnt i...
Old 03-14-2003, 05:37 PM   #65
shadow fox
just have mirrors and good gameplay and ill be happy
Old 04-07-2003, 11:23 PM   #66
Dunedain

Actually, I'm very much hoping that Remedy will make more Max Payne games
than just MPII. I mean come on, if anyone else does it you know they will
end up not keeping the story, dialog and/or atmosphere completely consistent
with the signature style of Max Payne. It's like not having Tim Burton direct
the Batman movies, you see the result; a sudden and sharp change in the whole
character of the movie series.

I'd like to see the entire Max Payne story done by Remedy over the course of
maybe 4 games. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Remedy did such a fantastic job on Max Payne; the graphics,
the wonderful painted style of the graphic novel still shots showing the
story elements, the highly stylized signature dialog, the vivid characters,
the great story that draws you into the game, the amazing dark, moody
atmosphere of New York, and, of course, the brooding melancholy and
grim determination of Max himself. These things combine to create a game
like no other and one of the very best experiences on the PC, ever!

In fact, my only complaint about Max Payne is that I wish it lasted longer.
I was having so much fun, I didn't want it to end so soon! May MP II have
significantly more hours of that high quality gameplay. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

My hat is off to Remedy for their Masterpiece they have created. And I hope
they will continue to make the Max Payne sequels, so they get made with that
top quality and unique style that I don't think anyone other than Remedy can
make happen. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]