Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Duke Nukem
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 02-12-2009, 10:47 AM   #1
NY00123
Yet another netplay guider (YANG)
The title says it all
There's now yet another netplay guider, basically similar to Dukester X and Dukonnector, which is simply called... Yet Another Netplay Guider
Or more commonly, YANG.

But what does it offer?
Well, basically, it lets you advertise chat rooms and join rooms, so you can find players for online games (just like the other front-ends).
It should support the common DN3D and SW source ports, as well as the original DOS versions with the help of the DOSBox emulator.

The main difference, in comparison to Dukester X and Dukonnector, is that it can run natively on Linux (32-bit and 64-bit). It may also run on Mac OS X, but someone else will have to compile the executable.

Screenshots of YANG: http://ny00123.sitesled.com/scrshots.html
Download links: http://ny00123.sitesled.com/files.html

A little note: If someone wants to distribute a Mac OS X executable, then please try and make it compatible with both PowerPC and Intel architectures, and at least on OS X 10.4 or Tiger.
Look in compiling.txt in the source code archive for help. It may also answer a few questions regarding the distribution (e.g. how to package resources).
Old 02-12-2009, 10:58 AM   #2
DeeperThought

Re: Yet another netplay guider (YANG)
I tried this a few days ago and it worked great, right away. This was after I had spent a long time fighting with DukesterX and failing to get it to work, even after opening ports, renaming my eduke32, etc. So thanks a lot! I'm going to keep using this, and it has given me some motivation to make a multiplayer mod for once.

I haven't tried your very latest version yet. One comment I have on the version I did try: I wish it could save multiple paths in a dropdown menu, so that it would be easier to switch between different mod directories.

edit: One more thing -- the beep it makes when you post a message in a room is simply horrible. Please replace it with a better one.

DUKE NUKEM: ATTRITION
XP based weapon upgrades, progressive difficulty, and more.
Last edited by DeeperThought; 02-12-2009 at 11:02 AM.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:05 AM   #3
HellFire

i didnt tried it yet, but by looking the screenshots this looks awesome. Looks more functional than DX and doenst need the crap .NET frame-something to run like Dukonnector. Ill surelly try this when i get time and if its good as i think it is ill show it for all my duker friends!
Old 02-12-2009, 11:21 AM   #4
NY00123
To DeeperThought,

Regarding the beeps - I'm very far from being an artist, so I've just made basic sine waves using Audacity

For now, you may disable sound effects or replace them from the main menu: Settings -> Multiplayer and networking -> Sound notifications

If anybody wants to send me better sound notifications, you're welcome Note that they should be in WAV format, and probably Mono.

Regarding MOD support: For now, I've done it similar to Dukonnector:
There's a default maps folder for each game and a default mods file folder.
On game launch, a file gets temporarily copied to the source port dir (or symlinked on Linux and the like).
However, if a file with the same name is already available, it'll be used instead.

If you do want to use folders, notice that you can add extra parameters. e.g. -jmoddir or -game_dir moddir
In fact, if there's any MOD dir in EDuke32, then EDuke32 itself may pop-up a selection menu, depending on the configuration.
Last edited by NY00123; 02-12-2009 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Add something regarding MOD support.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:03 PM   #5
DeeperThought

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY00123 View Post
If you do want to use folders, notice that you can add extra parameters. e.g. -jmoddir or -game_dir moddir
I'm assuming that command lines are entered in the same field where I put the path of eduke32.exe, because I don't see anywhere else...

Old 02-12-2009, 12:13 PM   #6
NY00123
In the source ports dialog, only the executable should be provided.

When you launch a single player game or create a new multiplayer room, then you may select a level, a source port, etc. And you may also add command line arguments.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:39 PM   #7
The Commander

Ive downloaded this program now also,
I only see one game as of now, maybe when this gets more popular it will be more usefull.

Duke Nukem Red Alert SVN

Ask Me Anything!
Old 02-13-2009, 01:54 PM   #8
Shumika

I have tested it, its cool, and easy to config, you dont need to waste time trying to wonder about connection stuff anymore...about the annoying sounds i guess i saw an option to choose different sounds...isnt it?
Old 02-16-2009, 07:37 AM   #9
DeeperThought

Hey, whenever I start a game, monsters are off by default. This wouldn't be so bad, but there doesn't appear to be a way to set that option when starting a room. There is the extra arguments option, but that's not very user friendly since one has to know the command lines. Plus, if monsters are already off, there is no command line to turn them on.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:04 AM   #10
Shumika

...Needs a /natfree option like in dukester...I have a friend that does not knows anything about config routers, and cant play with yang, but if we plays dukester he havent any problem with the /natfree mode on...Im sure if he opens some ports will be avaible to play yang, but most ppl does not know about config those stuff, thats why they need the /natfree
Old 02-16-2009, 03:33 PM   #11
Jaks

Very good work NY00123, it works like a dream!
We'll fire up that Duke Tag match in the near future, u can count on that.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:58 PM   #12
XTHX2

Make it compatible with Blood too!

YANG is an awesome, easy to use program. It simply makes life easier... I will use this instead of DukesterX

About the sounds, they didn't sound annoying to me; but you can allow people to configure the sound it plays and allow them to replace those with their own sounds via options or settings.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:57 PM   #13
Shumika

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTHX2 View Post
Make it compatible with Blood too!

YANG is an awesome, easy to use program. It simply makes life easier... I will use this instead of DukesterX

About the sounds, they didn't sound annoying to me; but you can allow people to configure the sound it plays and allow them to replace those with their own sounds via options or settings.
Find any sound of your like then rename it as yang's sounds..then replace, thats better than waiting for the upgrade
Old 02-17-2009, 03:20 PM   #14
NY00123
A new version (0.47): http://ny00123.sitesled.com/
Old 02-20-2009, 02:28 PM   #15
Timiditas
Love Re: Yet another netplay guider (YANG)
{offtopic}
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellFire View Post
{...} and doenst need the crap .NET frame-something to run{...}
'nuff said
I'll stick to VB6
{/offtopic}

This looks very promising. Keep it up dude!
Downloading this instantly!
Old 02-21-2009, 07:13 AM   #16
Shumika

I was not avaible to test the nat free option yet...the guy who needed that thing does not wants to play anymore, but its good to see that you did it as much faster as you can....You are trying to make this program as much complete as you can and thats too much important because the another ports are out of date and kinda death =/ (no offense) Im sure if you still working on it this will become the best port...
Old 02-21-2009, 07:16 AM   #17
The Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shumika View Post
Im sure if you still working on it this will become the best port...
It already is IMO.

Duke Nukem Red Alert SVN

Ask Me Anything!
Old 02-22-2009, 12:59 PM   #18
Timiditas
Are there really NO rooms/games going on or is Yang unable to communicate with the master server?
Is YANG using its own master server or does it also list games from DukesterX and others?
Old 02-22-2009, 01:51 PM   #19
DeeperThought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timiditas View Post
Are there really NO rooms/games going on or is Yang unable to communicate with the master server?
Is YANG using its own master server or does it also list games from DukesterX and others?
It works fine, there just aren't many players these days. You need to find some people and start your own room for them to join.

Old 02-24-2009, 04:21 PM   #20
William Gee

This is really awesome thanks.

In dukesterX there is a option to save mods, so I could just select its name, and it automaticaly selects the GRP, CON, and download URL.

Can this option be added also?

Anyways everything eles is very cool! Its really great thanks.

EDIT: I wonder if you can also add a option to forward ports, for the people who are too nooby to do it. I have played this a few times, but then with other people I cant, i guess they need to forward ports, they also needed to for dukesterX but couldn't work out how. Natfree did nothing.

Also It might be a good idea to have a download button to the latest snapshot of eduke32. So everyone is using the same version.
Last edited by William Gee; 02-24-2009 at 05:14 PM.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:44 PM   #21
NY00123
A tiny update (0.47a): http://ny00123.sitesled.com/
Old 02-25-2009, 09:15 PM   #22
oak man

How is YANG with Ports? Do you need to forward them to play/host a game?

yes right?

>>My flickr page<<
Old 02-25-2009, 09:35 PM   #23
Tea Monster

I've had a lot of problems playing with EDuke32. I've tried a variety of connection types and I've even copied the whole folder over to the client machine so that there were no mismatch errors. I've never been able to get an EDuke game to go more than 15 minutes without a sync error. Anyone know what causes this or if there is some way around this?
Old 02-25-2009, 11:00 PM   #24
Timiditas
Well I think YANG does nothing more than establish the connection. The whole thing runs through eduke, so if there are any problems, its propably eduke's fault, or connection problems (high latency?).
When I ran eduke32 on the LAN, I had no synch issues. That was without YANG though.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:23 PM   #25
mannox
Hey all!
There are about 6 of us that are playing off and on during the evenings (3-9pm evenings) from Maine. I left Yang open all day today but didnt get a single bite on the room I created.

We are using Hamachi and Dukonnector, works great. Anybody that is interested in playing drop me a line. Usually 3 of us will hop on in the evening for a couple hours and duke it out for a bit!

email: mannox@gmail.com
aim/yahoo: mannox4
msn: mannox@umit.maine.edu
Old 02-26-2009, 11:43 PM   #26
The Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannox View Post
Hey all!
There are about 6 of us that are playing off and on during the evenings (3-9pm evenings) from Maine. I left Yang open all day today but didnt get a single bite on the room I created.
Because you probley havent opened your ports correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannox View Post
Hey all!
We are using Hamachi and Dukonnector, works great. Anybody that is interested in playing drop me a line. Usually 3 of us will hop on in the evening for a couple hours and duke it out for a bit!
There is no way im using any other programs to play duke online other than YANG now, it's so simple to work out that a 7 year old can do it. (I have proof)
Ive uninstalled the other two online programs since YANG came out. (Dukonnector & DukesterX)

Duke Nukem Red Alert SVN

Ask Me Anything!
Last edited by The Commander; 02-26-2009 at 11:46 PM.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:17 AM   #27
William Gee

I still have dukesterX installed cause I prefer to play with people.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:28 AM   #28
TerminX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tea Monster View Post
I've had a lot of problems playing with EDuke32. I've tried a variety of connection types and I've even copied the whole folder over to the client machine so that there were no mismatch errors. I've never been able to get an EDuke game to go more than 15 minutes without a sync error. Anyone know what causes this or if there is some way around this?
It's probably EDuke32's fault. I'm using the same networking code as duke3d_w32, but EDuke32 has slightly larger packets and a LOT of rewritten code. EDuke32 is VERY different internally when compared to any other Duke port. Are you using master/slave mode or peer to peer? I would recommend using peer to peer if you aren't already, as master/slave mode is my own personal hack on the duke3d_w32 netcode. I never really thoroughly tested it and I don't exactly have a lot of network programming experience, so I'm surprised it works at all to be honest.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:44 AM   #29
The Commander

P2P is usually what most online launchers use by default, so im not to sure what Tea Monster's problem could be. Although I always recommend to make sure the ports are open and to make sure no virus scanners are blocking it ect.

Duke Nukem Red Alert SVN

Ask Me Anything!
Old 02-27-2009, 08:27 AM   #30
Juras

This program is the future of Duke
Old 02-27-2009, 10:42 AM   #31
Tea Monster

I was trying mostly the master/slave, but I was using P2p as well.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:24 PM   #32
William Gee

Well I know for 1 person I play with, I cant get the latest eduke32 to work with him, works with everyone else though, so we tried a older version, and it worked, though the old version isnt very stable.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:41 PM   #33
Timiditas
Thumbs down Re: Yet another netplay guider (YANG)
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Gee View Post
I still have dukesterX installed cause I prefer to play with people.
This one can't even find any master servers. New version is closed beta, server software was taken down and the site is unreachable. So much for that.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:32 AM   #34
Juras

"Unfortunately the time has come. We are closing our Webhosting services
forever. This means that on Monday, your website will unfortunately no longer be available.
On the 01.03.2009, LYCOS Europe will stop all its Webhosting services. Our
Callcentre will also be closing on this date."
[*][*][*][*][*][*][*][*] DukesterX R.I.P.[*][*][*][*][*][*][*][*]
Old 03-02-2009, 09:45 AM   #35
Shumika

I still using dukesterx because my friend cant connect with yang until they enable the nat free mode, he opens the ports but yang wont connect him with me anywais =/...but if we use the master server option he can but with an horrible lag that freezes the game like 1 minute afther started..... and my another friend cant use dukester...so its impossible to get both guys in the same room th play a game with 3 persons X_X
Old 03-02-2009, 10:39 AM   #36
DutchDuke

i have a problem with yang my PC is blocking every time when i try to connect it says: cant connect to server and than i close my firewall what i think is not a good thing to do
but when i closed it i still cant connect to server it tells me your ip is connecting to much connections or something like that.... what is wrong and how can i get it work perfect??
Now i only can play the single mode with Yang and kill some bots
please help me......
Old 03-02-2009, 10:40 AM   #37
The Commander

Do you use are router?

Duke Nukem Red Alert SVN

Ask Me Anything!
Old 03-02-2009, 11:01 AM   #38
DutchDuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Commander View Post
Do you use are router?
yes i use a router
Old 03-02-2009, 11:22 AM   #39
The Commander

Then I would say thats your main problem. It probley hasnt got the ports open and isnt letting any traffic though.

Duke Nukem Red Alert SVN

Ask Me Anything!
Old 03-02-2009, 11:28 AM   #40
DutchDuke

okay thnx man