Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > 3D Realms News
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 10-23-2014, 09:51 AM   #1
Frederik Schreiber
3D Realms VP

3D Realms is back. Anthology now available!
3D Realms is back. After a historic 22 years of kicking ass and not chewing gum, the legendary developer is returning with new talent, new games and a renewed passion for innovative experiences. So, to mark the relaunch of the official 3D Realms website and the release of the 3D Realms Anthology, we’re taking a brief look at the landmark achievements of a developer that went on to define a decade.

32 games in one package, including a brand new re-rockestrated soundtrack!

You can read the whole article below:
LINK: https://www.3drealms.com/news/3d_realms-is-back/

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1aU...Gr2lrPqyxtWGhw
Last edited by Frederik Schreiber; 10-23-2014 at 09:54 AM.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:16 AM   #2
Rider

Re: 3D Realms is back. Anthology now available!
This is certainly a bit of a surprise.

Very curious to see what will be coming out of 3DR in the (near) future!
She's pretty, not "damn-she's-making-my-noodle-dance-samba"-pretty, but still very pretty... - Micki!
Old 10-23-2014, 12:33 PM   #3
AXE

aaaaaaaaand having severe difficulty actually buying the thing.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:51 PM   #4
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXE View Post
aaaaaaaaand having severe difficulty actually buying the thing.
Severe swampage. Keep trying.

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16
Old 10-23-2014, 08:00 PM   #5
Rapture_Rising

Is the Anthology getting a Steam release?

I know it would take a lot of work but also making Prey available again to purchase would be awesome.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:31 PM   #6
The Duke Returns

that be nice even EDuke is on it, I buy it if it does come to steam.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:52 PM   #7
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture_Rising View Post
Is the Anthology getting a Steam release?
Read the FAQ: https://3drealms.com/faq/

Old 10-23-2014, 09:01 PM   #8
Leminur

As a player who grew up with Apogee/3d Realms, you are very welcome back to the game. You guys have made a lot and have defined what gaming industry is now (T-take the DLC out on that part, please.) and I am sure you still have a long road to go through! Nice pack you have there, I just bought it and well, even though most of the games I have already, it's always fun to play those once again! (Even though I don't need Dos-Box or anything related to that.)

Well welcome back, gentlemen!
Last edited by Leminur; 10-23-2014 at 09:16 PM.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:20 PM   #9
Rapture_Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Siegler View Post
Ok, fair enough. I didn't see the FAQ.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:07 PM   #10
The Duke Returns

I didn't see it either, well is 3DRealms in charge of megaton? I sent you the videos by private message
Old 10-23-2014, 10:43 PM   #11
fofo.rider

Come get some !
Old 10-24-2014, 01:55 AM   #12
supergoofy

Is this going to be on a retail DVD / BOX ?

I would like to have a physical retail BOX. Though a GOG or STEAM release with artwork, soundtracks and other extras will do.

By the way, I hope for a new Duke Nukem 3D game from 3D Realms. I don't want to talk about DNF (I deleted it from my brain).
Last edited by supergoofy; 10-24-2014 at 01:57 AM.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:49 AM   #13
Player Lin
Holy shit......

I just forgot come to see the new 3DR site yesterday when my time zone is 0:00AM...
Sadly, it died temporary due to I used my all of times on RealLife(TM) and playing Games! XD
*Player Lin escaped from the hell of making website.*
Old 10-24-2014, 09:23 AM   #14
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergoofy View Post
Is this going to be on a retail DVD / BOX ?

I would like to have a physical retail BOX. Though a GOG or STEAM release with artwork, soundtracks and other extras will do.

By the way, I hope for a new Duke Nukem 3D game from 3D Realms. I don't want to talk about DNF (I deleted it from my brain).
Read the FAQ. Link is at the top of the page.

Old 10-24-2014, 10:15 AM   #15
Waiter

Red face Re: 3D Realms is back. Anthology now available!
Pharao's Tomb!!!

I remember playing that game in the early stone ages but I never knew it was an Apogee game.

I also had no idea that the minimum specs 25 years later would be a dual core with 2 GB RAM...
Old 10-24-2014, 10:22 AM   #16
Mikko_P
Wow!

I'm so happy hearing about this

What about the builds of Duke3D & SW? I can't wait to get them to complete one of my collections i'm creating.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:14 AM   #17
ZuljinRaynor

3DR is back, in the same way that Interplay and Black Isle are back. In the same way that id currently exists.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:12 PM   #18
scorpeeon
Hi, I have 2 questions:
-you say in the FAQ that you're aiming for a Mac and Linux release later this year. My question is if that happens, will everyone who purchased it before also get those versions?
-the same question for Steam: if things get figured out and this thing comes out on Steam someday, will those get it, who purchased it earlier (like now)?
Old 10-24-2014, 07:13 PM   #19
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpeeon View Post
Hi, I have 2 questions:
-you say in the FAQ that you're aiming for a Mac and Linux release later this year. My question is if that happens, will everyone who purchased it before also get those versions?
Good question, I'll look into it.

Quote:
-the same question for Steam: if things get figured out and this thing comes out on Steam someday, will those get it, who purchased it earlier (like now)?
I wouldn't hold your breath. That doesn't mean it can never happen, but I wouldn't look for it soon.

Old 10-24-2014, 09:17 PM   #20
YicklePigeon

Regarding merchandise, is there any possibility of Apogee t-shirt reissues in the future?

But in other news, yay for 3DR to return!

Regards,

Yickle
Old 10-24-2014, 10:45 PM   #21
Kalki

I take it there's still no way to redeem my 3DR gift coupons?
"Gentlemen, generations to follow will see us as the first pioneers of the internet. They will look upon our days as those of brave spirits and free ideals - where men were men, women were men and children were the FBI."

Free Speech
Old 10-25-2014, 01:52 AM   #22
BadRix
When I read about this Anthology-thing I was slightly excited. A link directed me to this site, and then... I saw this picture of a boxed copy with CD and I became super-excited. This is the thing a nostalgist wants: owning a physical, boxed, copy, like in the 'old days'. A lot of us allready own a bunch of these games (thanks to Steam and other platforms), so giving us something extra would be a brilliant move and it would push us into a buy.

Ok, you haven't chosen for that option (yet). But why show us that boxed copy when there is none in existence? It hurts really

This thing screams for a classic physical version: box, CD-DVD, manual, maps, extra's... I would be happy to pay a 3 digit-number for it.
Old 10-25-2014, 06:06 AM   #23
Cyrix

Great news. Love the new look of the site, just created a profile. Love that you can download games straight from the website. Shame I already own most of them though.

As for merchandise I'd love to see an anthology poster on there.
Old 10-25-2014, 06:12 AM   #24
BadRix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrix View Post

As for merchandise I'd love to see an anthology poster on there.
Jup, looking forward to see some classic collectibles as well. Maybe a commander Keen figurine? Insta-buy
Old 10-25-2014, 07:35 AM   #25
MrBlackCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadRix View Post
When I read about this Anthology-thing I was slightly excited. A link directed me to this site, and then... I saw this picture of a boxed copy with CD and I became super-excited. This is the thing a nostalgist wants: owning a physical, boxed, copy, like in the 'old days'. A lot of us allready own a bunch of these games (thanks to Steam and other platforms), so giving us something extra would be a brilliant move and it would push us into a buy.

Ok, you haven't chosen for that option (yet). But why show us that boxed copy when there is none in existence? It hurts really

This thing screams for a classic physical version: box, CD-DVD, manual, maps, extra's... I would be happy to pay a 3 digit-number for it.
I had the identical reaction. At one point years ago, I stopped collecting non-boxed PC First Person Shooters.
Seeing the image of the virtual box, I too got excited. I knew it was a graphic mock-up, but I was hoping for at least a CD with Cover Art. I own most of them anyway, so as much as I would like to support the New 3D Realms, I will be passing on this one.
For something like this, I would go triple digits as fast as the system could take my order, but I might be in the minority. When I look at the prices of boxed copies of id Anthology, or even smaller sets like Duke Apocalypse (1&2) and of course the Kill-a-Ton collection.

For me, this is collecting...
Here is an older image when I was testing out the new shelves I am making. I built over 200 feet of shelving like this for a reason... Boxed games. (actually just FPS's Pre-WinXP)

MrBlackCat

*(Not really, sometimes I wear my Time to Kill t-shirt... like while I am washing my other Duke shirts for instance.)
:)
Old 10-25-2014, 07:42 AM   #26
BadRix
Holy shoe...man, what a great collection. Those Doom-boxes alone can buy you a house or so
Old 10-25-2014, 06:15 PM   #27
The Duke Returns

Just got me collection so happy I am 3DRealms FOREVER BABY YEAH
Old 10-25-2014, 09:23 PM   #28
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

I already own the games of this "bundle" I would want.
So, I see no point in buying this for myself. For those who don't own certain titles... it could be a great package.

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Old 10-25-2014, 09:38 PM   #29
Detinator73
Idk if I should buy the Anthology edition. I already have Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton edition, Shadow Warrior (both classic and redux), Rise of the Triad, and the Apogee throwback pack (which includes Rise of the Triad classic and expansion, and both Black Stones). On top of that, Alien Carnage, Bio Menace, Arctic Adventure and Star Gunner are free at the moment. Maybe if it is on Steam, I would probably be able to get it (or if I am able to receive some cash for instance).
Old 10-26-2014, 02:45 AM   #30
Cyrix

I had already purchased a bunch of games on 3DRealms around 2010. So sadly I don't know if I'll buy these again. Though having a digital download available does sound enticing.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:03 PM   #31
MrBlackCat

Maybe Fred S. could release the rendered Box Art so we can have our own printed if we wanted? I would do that in a second. As stated before, the box is critical. All the above games are from the era of Boxes, it just seems right.
I just got out my id Anthology and looked at it. I realize id was in its prime when this was made, but I SO wish there was something like this from 3DR. I would buy at least two.

Mr.BlackCat

*(Not really, sometimes I wear my Time to Kill t-shirt... like while I am washing my other Duke shirts for instance.)
Old 10-27-2014, 01:32 AM   #32
smashed pumpkin

Definitely picking this up!

I really enjoyed Raptor and other similar games (Raiden, etc.). Haven't played a game like that in ages.
Last edited by smashed pumpkin; 10-27-2014 at 01:39 AM.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:27 AM   #33
ZuljinRaynor

If you like Raptor, check out Tyrian 2000 if you haven't already.
Old 10-27-2014, 10:52 AM   #34
evilemperorzorg

I agree with MrBlackCat... I would love a retail version. I know it will cost but I believe a limited release will do the job. 5000-6000 copies I dunno... Just for fans.

I'm sure most 3D Realms fans (which I guess is where the anthology is aimed at) would buy it and appreciate it even more.
Old 10-27-2014, 01:04 PM   #35
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpeeon View Post
Hi, I have 2 questions:
Yes. It will unlock for all current users.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YicklePigeon View Post
Regarding merchandise, is there any possibility of Apogee t-shirt reissues in the future?
You mean the old game shirts? Interesting idea. I know there's merch planned, and I've seen a little. Unclear if a reprint of the old shirts is on the cards, but I like that idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalki View Post
I take it there's still no way to redeem my 3DR gift coupons?
You mean from the Camera Captioning Contest? If you actually still have one, we might be able to work something out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadRix View Post

The first words out of my mouth when I saw the anthology art a few weeks before y'all found out about it was the same thing. I want a physical copy. BELIEVE ME. It's a known request. Whether it happens is a whole other story.

As they've said - one of the reasons the Anthology pack is digital and sold the way it is is because it is no different than the digital sale of all of these titles up to this point. You see, 3D Realms has been selling these games digitally for QUITE a long time. The old 3DR store website which existed from 2009 until the relaunch of the brand had these for sale all this time. The anthology store is effectively no different than before, the only difference is they're now all packaged together, but it is STILL a digital only sale from 3D Realms.

Changing distribution medium (physical box, Steam), it requires a different set of contracts. Given the number of games in here, and the physical number of people involved, as you can probably appreciate, making everyone happy to the point where it can still make any money (without pricing it stupidly high) is quite an undertaking.

Old 10-27-2014, 01:48 PM   #36
evilemperorzorg

Well I guess most of us understand why you might prefer digital only. But still I wonder if a few copies can be produced and ordered directly through 3D Realms or so... I believe most of 3D Realms fans will buy it. At least I will
Old 10-27-2014, 03:33 PM   #37
Bad Sector

Quote:
Changing distribution medium (physical box, Steam), it requires a different set of contracts. Given the number of games in here, and the physical number of people involved, as you can probably appreciate, making everyone happy to the point where it can still make any money (without pricing it stupidly high) is quite an undertaking.
Weren't most of these games sold physically though? Does the contract change if you go through a 3rd party distributor (i assume 3D Realms takes the place of a publisher)? Or you can new contracts for the online shop years later?
Old 10-27-2014, 06:08 PM   #38
MrBlackCat

Quote:
***snip***You mean the old game shirts? Interesting idea. I know there's merch planned, and I've seen a little. Unclear if a reprint of the old shirts is on the cards, but I like that idea.
***snip***
I love gaming shirts. I would buy most any if they don't creep up too much over $20. I like that idea a lot also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Siegler
The first words out of my mouth when I saw the anthology art a few weeks before y'all found out about it was the same thing. I want a physical copy. BELIEVE ME. It's a known request. Whether it happens is a whole other story.***snip***
I am good with stupidly high...
Just send a box template to me, I will have them printed, cut them out by hand and mail them back... you know, to cut costs and all.

MrBlackCat

Old 10-27-2014, 07:20 PM   #39
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Sector View Post
Weren't most of these games sold physically though? Does the contract change if you go through a 3rd party distributor (i assume 3D Realms takes the place of a publisher)? Or you can new contracts for the online shop years later?
I can't speak to that, contracts are between 3DR and the game authors. Not everything is meant for public dissemination. The furthest I can go with it is probably to say that it would change the dynamic and require renegotiation.

Never say never, of course, but it is not something I would look for any time soon.

Old 10-27-2014, 11:42 PM   #40
Ajaxx

Dopefish Re: 3D Realms is back. Anthology now available!
So here's a question I didn't see answered in the FAQ (and if it was already answered elsewhere, please forgive the re-asking): Are any of the older games like Secret Agent, Cosmo, Pharoh's Tomb, etc. optimized to run in current gen Windows? Or are they sold "as-is" from their time of release and would I need Dosbox or some similar DOS emulator to run them properly?

Great to see you guys back and ready to kick ass again.