Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Duke Nukem
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 10-21-2012, 03:12 PM   #1
Altered Reality

George was right! Who would have imagined?
"Duke Nukem Forever will come out before Doom 3."
George Broussard, 2002

Guess what? On Xbox 360 and PS3, DNF did come out before Doom 3!
Old 10-21-2012, 03:16 PM   #2
IceColdDuke
Re: George was right! Who would have imagined?
George said Doom 3 not Doom 3 BFG edition .
Old 10-21-2012, 05:59 PM   #3
Altered Reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceColdDuke View Post
George said Doom 3 not Doom 3 BFG edition .
Of course. But after buying the above-mentioned BFG edition, George's words seem rather amusing.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:27 AM   #4
Thewho

How prescient!
Old 10-26-2012, 11:40 AM   #5
Player Lin
The BFG edition of DooM 3 should be REAL DooM 3, for me.
Sadly, it died temporary due to I used my all of times on RealLife(TM) and playing Games! XD
*Player Lin escaped from the hell of making website.*
Old 11-10-2012, 03:01 AM   #6
Commando Nukem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Player Lin View Post
The BFG edition of DooM 3 should be REAL DooM 3, for me.
Why? It's inferior to the original.

All you need to do is get the SIKKMOD and the DUCT TAPE MOD and the original Doom 3 beats the BFG iteration hands down. Better menu controls, mobility.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:09 PM   #7
ZuljinRaynor

Duct Tape Mod is for babies.

Also BFG has things cut out from the original Doom 3s and the version of Doom 1 and Doom 2 aren't complete either. It's terrible.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:04 PM   #8
pjVgt

DooM 3 is a horrible game.

RaGe is even worse.

I am truly astonished by the impressive technical feats that those games represent, but those games suck.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:07 AM   #9
PimPamPet
I enjoyed Doom 3. I haven't played Rage (yet). I've heard the PC port is really buggy and I don't feel like spending 20 euros on a broken product. Perhaps if it goes on sale for 80% off or something.
Old 12-09-2012, 03:23 PM   #10
ZuljinRaynor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjVgt View Post
DooM 3 is a horrible game.

RaGe is even worse.

I am truly astonished by the impressive technical feats that those games represent, but those games suck.
I disagree with you. Both have very good shooting mechanics.

And both are better than DNF.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:11 AM   #11
Nihilanth

Quote:
Originally Posted by PimPamPet View Post
I enjoyed Doom 3. I haven't played Rage (yet). I've heard the PC port is really buggy and I don't feel like spending 20 euros on a broken product. Perhaps if it goes on sale for 80% off or something.
It's disappointing that RAGE gets bashed for being "buggy" while in fact it's really, really, extremely polished and devoid of bugs.

Get the latest drivers, update the game so you can set Texture Cache to Large in options. You're set. I think AMD users had more issues but I'd say these are resolved by now.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:10 PM   #12
Flying Techbot
The history of DNF really is worthy as a subject for an epic poem. Or mock epic poem, if there any John Dryden or Alexander Pope fans among the 3D Realms forums who appreciate a witty tribute to a tragic project.

If only kept their alphas and betas for the first two incarnations of DNF. Ah, well. There's always the possibility of modding for UT and QII, if Gearbox/3DR allows it, that is.

Doom 3 definitely need a lot of reconsideration before pushing toward the direction they did. I love the H.R. Giger artistic approach, but the borrowings of System Shock 2's gameplay devices such as the PDF logs, weren't adapted nor written well. The A.I. definitely needed more umph to it. It would have been cool if it had begun with you and a squad of other marines exploring the deserted Martian base, and then have the demons flank you when you least expect them to.

I think Doom 3 could use a TC reimagining. Lots of potential features for the Doom 3 engine have not been realized yet for modifications.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:26 PM   #13
Altered Reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Techbot View Post
If only kept their alphas and betas for the first two incarnations of DNF.
There are no betas for the first two DNF iterations. An alpha version is a version that lacks features, and that is what those two versions were. A beta version would be already feature-complete, but with bugs still in, which those versions were most certainly not.
Quote:
Ah, well. There's always the possibility of modding for UT and QII, if Gearbox/3DR allows it, that is.
Personally, for pseudo-DNF modding, I'm partial to the OldUnreal version of Unreal 1, because it offers the most amount of flexibility with the least amount of effort. In fact, last year I had made three "proofs of concept" for the abandoned Duke 1998 project: http://alteredreality.altervista.org/duke98/. If you want to make some more, feel free to do so
Quote:
Doom 3 definitely need a lot of reconsideration before pushing toward the direction they did. I love the H.R. Giger artistic approach, but the borrowings of System Shock 2's gameplay devices such as the PDF logs, weren't adapted nor written well. The A.I. definitely needed more umph to it. It would have been cool if it had begun with you and a squad of other marines exploring the deserted Martian base, and then have the demons flank you when you least expect them to.
I wish that a future Doom episode would dwell more about the mundane consequences of discovering Hell, instead of just "OMG KILL TEH DEEMONS", because that is how a military corp would think, especially one serving a scientific research company.

For example, the story should show how UAC has been:
- establishing bases in Hell
- teleporting armies and vehicles to exterminate the demons
- taking advantage of the "Hercules complex" (established by Doom 3) to get a lot more work done
- taking advantage of any difference in the passage of time between our dimension and Hell (e.g. if time runs faster in Hell: teleport a supercomputer to Hell, transmit the processed data to Mars and obtain more processing power for free. If time runs slower in Hell: establish a permanent base to keep soldiers in their prime (thus better prepared for combat) for a much longer time)
- taking advantage of any difference between Hell and Mars (e.g. Mars is cold and Hell is hot, Hell contains a breathable atmosphere and Mars does not, so a portal between Hell and Mars, permanently open, would provide Mars with comfortable temperatures and a breathable atmosphere).
Old 11-21-2013, 12:38 AM   #14
Flying Techbot
Altered Reality, you are a gamer after me own heart. I like the screenshots of your proof of concept in Old Unreal (I, also, am very partial to the original). No I just need to play them.