Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Other Apogee/3D Realms Games > Max Payne
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 06-10-2009, 11:27 AM   #201
Mariamus

Re: Max Payne 3
Old 06-10-2009, 12:36 PM   #202
dan2091

The graphics look good and the art too, but it only makes me sadder cause it makes me imagine the real Max Payne sequel (hair, jacket, in shape) that could have been done.

But well, I hope this follows Super Mario Bros. 2 formula: at the end he wakes up, still young, with hair, with the same voice and sleeping with his jacket as a pijama and Mona next to him (married and happy).

Seriously, I don't know what to think. It's not Remedy's Max Payne at all, but I'll make an opinion when I get the facts and play it.

Only thing left to ask is for the same Hub system, graphic novels, and whatnot...

If they have time to do changes I'd ask for some hair to be added to the Max Payne model and let the same voice actor reprise his role.

I don't want to complain right now as I haven't even played it. If they're sure it won't feel like a 'Max Payne game' they should change it name (again like Doki Doki Panic was changed to SMB. 2)to something like Jungle Panic.

By the way, I'm not exactly sure but brasilians find offensive people from elsewhere name its country Brazil.... It's Brasil.
Last edited by dan2091; 06-10-2009 at 12:40 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:06 PM   #203
MegaMustaine

I don't know why anybody would complain about his hair. It looks like Max has gone off the deep end, and doesn't give a shit about anything anymore. I like it. They have also said that they will keep the graphic novel cutscenes so don't worry about that.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:56 PM   #204
TonyPessimist

Max Payne in São Paulo ??

Yeeee !!!!! My town! My town!!!! lalalalalala i'm so happy!!!! hahaha

And you right, its BraSil

one more time:

São Paulo, EEEEEEEE!!!!!
Old 06-10-2009, 06:02 PM   #205
Kennerado

links are dead, please repost.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:18 PM   #206
Mona Payne
I wanted Mona to be in it..
Old 06-10-2009, 06:24 PM   #207
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mona Payne View Post
I wanted Mona to be in it..
Well, after Max Payne 2 you should have known that wasn't going to happen. If a sequel did happen they would've continued from the ending the majority of players saw.

The alt. ending was not seen by that many players actually, the majority of people outside this forum (and Max Payne related forums) are surprised when I mention the second ending.

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Old 06-10-2009, 07:42 PM   #208
0marTheZealot

Looks like fail.

Just another generic 3rd person shooter. Dime a dozen really. To me, it looks like a re-skinned 50 cent from Blood on the Sand.

sigh, and the original Max Payne was such a great game, a classic even.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:59 PM   #209
sawn_off
Firstly I can't stand the obligatory talkup for every new game about shifting paradigms and revolutionizing outside the box.

But wowee. A third person shooter with a cover system. Gaming will never be the same.

Fifty bucks on a pointless, crappy, generic shoulder camera too. Because looking straight at your characters is SO 2001.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:26 PM   #210
Cleric

I hope the camera doesn't change. I thought it was just fine in the other two games, but since it looks like the rest of the game is going in a new direction, I'm not holding my breath.

I want this game to turn out good so badly. I really don't want to see this series go out with a dull conclusion. I think Max needs to die, if anything.
Konami Gamer ID:steak_and_cheese
Old 06-10-2009, 09:58 PM   #211
Mona Payne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_Azreal View Post
Well, after Max Payne 2 you should have known that wasn't going to happen. If a sequel did happen they would've continued from the ending the majority of players saw.

The alt. ending was not seen by that many players actually, the majority of people outside this forum (and Max Payne related forums) are surprised when I mention the second ending.
I know.

---------- Post added at 09:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 PM ----------

You know what...I really do think we will get a Mona mention. But other than that I'm not expecting anything else.

WE know for sure by the end of Max Payne 2 that Mona is "Mad" for Max and that she cared about Max and we know Max cared about her. So I guess in a way it's really romantic in a depressing sort of way that Max went into a deep depression and drug addiction because of losing Mona. I mean of course i think we will get a mention of his dead wife and daughter and his struggle with not seeing his daughter growing up.

Still it's clear he was smitten with mona and vice versa so she's got to be mentioned. I mean maybe at the end Max will visit her grave.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:58 PM   #212
dan2091

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_Azreal View Post

Hehe... I find funny the fact that I was such a cheater back then when I was younger that the ending in Dead On Arrival was the first one I saw.. And I was so happy Max get to that moment... Now, I'm clean and sober and cheat no more... I go to play MP2 without the cheats and I find out this 'original' ending... somehow, it was a great surprise to me because it have differents pictures on the graphic novel (and I liked that), but when it go to the point that Mona just died I was kinda sad...

I wish they don't mention Mona.... So one day Remedy comes back and do another Max Payne game (maybe about this so called 'lost years') and do the right thing.

Well, at least they tried something new.. I was kinda surprised in a good way when they mentioned São Paulo.. I Expect a full rendered city now, but just because it'd be funny to play in such a place like Brasil (you see I'm not brasilian btw), but cities in South America are different from those of US so at least it won't be generic in that way IF they make a sandbox game.
As I said, I'd accept a sandbox game but only because it isn't NY. But I won't lie to myself that it would have been a good ride to hang out as Max Payne in Noir York .
Old 06-11-2009, 12:51 AM   #213
LeadBullet

Guys I just picked up a copy of next months PC Gamer.

I thought the machine guns and rocket launchers in the new anniversary edition of Pac Man looked pretty cool.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:27 AM   #214
Antosa

i don't like this new look too different.

Video: Point of View GeForce 8800 GTX 768 MB
Old 06-11-2009, 08:09 AM   #215
Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennerado View Post
links are dead, please repost.
Yep, link please.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:19 AM   #216
maxey
They are still available but I guess they block requests where a refererring URL is set. So either just open them manually in your browser or check the Alan Wake Forums:

http://forum.alanwake.com/showthread...ge=9#post41787
Old 06-11-2009, 12:53 PM   #217
Walking Alone

They're aviable there:
http://walk1ng-alone.livejournal.com/
Old 06-11-2009, 01:06 PM   #218
Kit

Thanks.

Well, talk about missing the point. Why on earth would you buy the Max Payne IP if your intentions are to create something that doesn’t even resemble the previous (successful) games? - you’ll be losing the fan base you were after ??

Not that the art direction is bad, it’s just inappropriate; in the same way setting Pokemon in the Resident Evil Spencer Mansion would be inappropriate - if that makes sense.
Last edited by Kit; 06-11-2009 at 01:25 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:21 PM   #219
Walking Alone

Kit, they said in article, what MP3 is a final part of franchise.
So they'll get money from us anyway.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:52 PM   #220
dan2091

"I was desperated for some bullets, like the desperation of a child" -Berrera... I hope he came up with that line, I hope it's not part of the game.. Why? well, I don't see Max as a person who wakes up at 9:00 AM and goes like "Shit, I'll hang out now to kill some people.." He had a big bodycount in Max Payne and Max Payne 2, but he killed all those people to solve the case, you see it was necessary, but not his need.

I also missed out Las Favelas was part of Sao Paulo. City Of God was a great movie. So somehow I believe they can do this right. I feel better after having read the magazine...
Last edited by dan2091; 06-11-2009 at 02:59 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:11 PM   #221
Cleric

Hell, at least the game uses Euphoria, according to that article.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:18 PM   #222
dan2091

I'm sold now ...

I still wish you could have a jacket and some hair anyway. Anyway las favelas is a nice place... ehemm.. a nice set for a game. I just noticed Max was standing in front of them. Just geat, imaging walking in a place like that (in the game only).
Old 06-11-2009, 04:22 PM   #223
Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan2091 View Post
I still wish you could have a jacket and some hair anyway.
haha... made me laugh. :
Old 06-12-2009, 04:06 PM   #224
Skullmonkey
I haven't seen any screenshots or videos from the game, I'm holding off any evaluation pending that.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:09 PM   #225
K100

Look the scans from Game Informer.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:18 PM   #226
Skullmonkey
Good point. Sorry, I missed that. -sobs- They made him fat. And....the screens are not impressive, in my opinion. What's up with the location? Geez.
Old 06-13-2009, 12:37 PM   #227
Walking Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by K100 View Post
Look the scans from Game Informer.
scans
http://walk1ng-alone.livejournal.com...tml?mode=reply
Old 06-13-2009, 03:26 PM   #228
Cleric

I just took a long look at those scans, and I noticed he's duel-wielding different types of pistols in one screenshot.

It sounds like Rockstar is really working hard to make this game in Max's image, but I'm still skeptical.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:12 PM   #229
dan2091

^I hope they get it right, man.. It would be nice if the game at the end turns out to be great. But I'm really skeptical about the story, I hope they get a good writer who gets to understand Max Payne pretty well..

Yes and probably he's not using the same shirt all the time.. there's at least one picture (art, not in-game) where he's using a different shirt... I guess that if he doesn't wear his jacket is because of the sunny day.. so I hope there's still a chance for a jacket and some hair at midnight.
Last edited by dan2091; 06-13-2009 at 11:19 PM.
Old 06-14-2009, 02:57 AM   #230
n8th

To be completely honest, I feel totally betrayed. The first two games were absolute masterpieces, I loved them to bits and I still do to this day. But, I think this next installment is going to totally ruin the franchise. For one I don’t think that the setting is right at all, whose idea was it to have it in Sao Paulo? And in the daylight? Looking at the scans, it’s quite obvious what the final product will be and in my opinion, it’s just not going to match the atmosphere which made the first two games great. Looks like the noir feeling has been thrown straight out the window. At least the Movie was able to keep this aspect!

The story I’m really skeptical about. Hopefully they can pull it off and make something good out of it but if James McCaffrey isn’t narrating, then I’m sorry, it won’t be memorable enough for me. And what on earth have they done to the image of Max? I know it says he’s a bit older and addicted to painkillers, but it’s as if they’ve turned him into a bald looking thug who shoots anything he sees. It’s like they’re trying to combine Die Hard and Far Cry together. Bzzt! No good.

However, the Gameplay looks like the only promising thing seeing how game physics and technology has come a long way, probably the only major thing which will gain points. But even so, the feel just won’t be there 100%.

Bottom line is, I think they’re totally missing the point and it’s beginning to look like a generic shooter with some cheap plot, I could be wrong but that’s how I see it. And as someone else on the Internet has already stated: “Max Payne’s journey through the NIGHT will continue.” Well, they lied.
Old 06-14-2009, 06:08 AM   #231
Kennerado

I bet someone will do a mod that changes the in game Max to the one from the second game.
Old 06-14-2009, 06:32 AM   #232
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

One thing.... please tell me the PC version of this run smoother than the PC version of GTA4. I don't want a fumbled PC port.

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Old 06-14-2009, 07:24 AM   #233
Kit

Oh ****… thanks for reminding me they'll be using GFW.

Hopefully other reviewers will follow PCFormat and knock 5 marks off if it’s bundled with said piece of turdware.
Last edited by Kit; 06-14-2009 at 07:53 AM.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:26 AM   #234
Kalki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit View Post
Oh ****… thanks for reminding me they'll be using GFW.

Hopefully other reviewers will follow PCFormat and knock 5 marks off if it’s bundled with said piece of turdware.
I don't mind GFW but the securom kills me. Or rather my hard disk. Can't have the GTA4 disk in the drive and launch windows explorer without 5 minutes of pointless dvd-drive / hdd activity.

Back on topic: Max doesn't look like the same character anymore. But I might still give this a shot if the game appears to be good.
"Gentlemen, generations to follow will see us as the first pioneers of the internet. They will look upon our days as those of brave spirits and free ideals - where men were men, women were men and children were the FBI."

Free Speech
Old 06-14-2009, 11:25 AM   #235
Walking Alone

If you don't like new image of Max Payne please sign a petition.
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/mp3/index.html
Old 06-14-2009, 12:17 PM   #236
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Honestly, what's the point? Online petitions do nothing about 99% of the time.

Old 06-14-2009, 12:43 PM   #237
littlenick055
I have noticed a ton of new things in these new scans, mainly on how many weapons to carry.

Look...

In all of these screens shots, he has 1 single hand gun, and 1 two handed gun.

BUT HERE...

He has 3 single handed guns, 2 in his hands and 1 in his holster.

I think this means he can hold either 3 handguns, OR 1 handgun and 1 two handed gun. Meaning there are 3 weapon slots, handguns take up 1 space, and 2 handed guns take up 2 spaces.

He has only 1 holster, SO when there is a two handed gun, he seems to just hold it in his hand...weird.

Plus,

2 different kinds of guns.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:56 PM   #238
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

From the high res scans you can see that he does look like Max, as in Timothy Gibbs from Max Payne 2.
The facial features are the same, add in some scars (which I'm actually glad they kept those from the end of MP2 instead), shave his head, age him some and put the beard on him.

It does look like an older, more beaten Max.

Old 06-14-2009, 01:43 PM   #239
Skullmonkey
Who got fat....
Old 06-14-2009, 04:23 PM   #240
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

I wouldn't say he's fat. He does look a lot beefier, he's definitely put on some muscle... and at his age (by now pushing late 50s) he's not going to look all tone and such.