Re: Recall to Hell Mod/TC
It's been 3 years. I want this mod too.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:43 AM   #443
Neptune

sure. http://recalltohell.d3files.com/phpb...bd2a26&start=0

I'll copy his post here too for you guys:

Quote:
I remembered about it today after almost 2 years of not checking the site.
I have to admit I didn't even remember the name of the mod, I had to search for "total conversion doom3 mod" on google, to find some places from where I found other places on which I found links to your site.

What I must say is that I am a person that knows allot about gaming industry, most actually call me a pioneer in the gaming industry especially in the fps industry and I really must say your screens still even now in 2008 look better than maps I have seen in engines like for ex unreal 3 engine.
The maps and 3d models look more than ok, I wonder how the hell are you still not working for a huge ass game company?

What i must urge you guys to do is to stop with the new ideas and get the old ones implemented and working and release this mod in 2008 or early 2009 because if you stall it much longer, it won't matter if you are gona release it since it will look too outdated and nobody will care anymore.
People already don't care about doom3 graphics since 2006 so try to understand that you are in danger of transforming all that gigantic work into a pile of old dusty stuff that nobody will care about.

My professional advice would be to stop the story of your mod at the point where you are right now and do your best to RELEASE it as it is ASAP.
If people like it, you can continue your ideas in a new mod on quake wars engine or on unreal 3 engine so you can have something on the current graphics.

I really want you guys to trust me and believe me I do not want you guys to see the huge failure that could happen to this project if you don't release it soon.
The failure of a mod is one thing but you guys are real talented people that shouldn't have to know what epic failure means.
The team behind this mod has seen lots of talented people but sadly the organisation behind it is very poor.Such talent should not be spend so much time only on one mod.
Such talents should be hired in the gaming industry to produce much more than what has been produced on this mod in such a long time.

From what I've seen in your screens everything looks over detailed, the details are exagerated on everything, it impressed me in 2005 , and it impresses me now the same after I've seen crysis and unreal 3 engine games.

Do what is right guys, perfectionism must have it's boundaries or else your project will never see the light of day.
You already have too much details, those levels look infinitely better than what ID did in doom3, it is time to stop detailing and starting to actually animate and bind the puzzle.

The guy that created e1m1 made this post.
I hope this was a good motivation for you guys to continue and I might just need some of you guys like what I see when this mod is complete
Old 02-09-2008, 01:32 AM   #444
Yatta

Thanks. And here's the Google cache of the original page for people like me who can't access the link:

http://209.85.207.104/search?q=cache...ient=firefox-a
Old 02-10-2008, 11:02 PM   #445
Duke's New Chainsaw

I'm still looking forward to this. It's been in my 'MODs' folder in my bookmarks.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:23 AM   #446
Kev_Boy

Could this be the... DNF of MODs?
Old 02-11-2008, 08:32 AM   #447
X-Vector

RtH has been in development for less than a decade, so I'd say that comparison is a bit premature.

The glass is half full, guys!
Old 02-11-2008, 09:36 AM   #448
Nihilanth

Still patiently waiting here.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:03 PM   #449
Mountain Man

Duke Nukem Re: Recall to Hell Mod/TC
Interesting advice from Romero. Sadly, it seems to be the fate of all overly ambitious mod projects, or perhaps mod projects in general. Mod makers don't have the same constraints placed on them as someone working for a company, and "perfection at all costs" becomes the rule because that's how they think things should be done. Don't give an inch. Don't ever compromise. Just create the best damn product humanly possible.

And so it ends up that the team starts to lose enthusiasm, fans drift away, and if the mod isn't abandoned, it's released to so little fanfare that it quickly fades away into obscurity.

I suppose if there's anybody who knows the heartache that comes from over promising and under delivering, it's Romero.

Create your own signature! Fill in the blank:
Old 02-11-2008, 01:07 PM   #450

The worst part of it is - the longer they wait, the smaller the audience. Sure a few of us will play and say "*** yeah!" but had they released it closer to Doom 3 it could have been a real hit. Doom 3 is almost irrelevant these days. It would take one hell of a mod to make people turn their heads.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:35 PM   #451
Phait

Same idea with DNF.

"but I promise you this, I'll always look out for you, that's what I do" -Coldplay
Old 02-11-2008, 01:37 PM   #452

True, but a sequel isn't quite the same as user-made content. Look at Turok - it's selling well on a name that few even remember.

It depends on the game's popularity. A new HL2 mod would be played by many, even if it's only "okay". A Doom 3 mod though? I like the game, but let's face it - it's fallen off the radar.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:53 PM   #453
Mountain Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phait View Post
Same idea with DNF.
Eh, not really. Yes, DNF is technically a sequel, but it's still a full-blown stand-alone game that will live or die on its own merits. Not to mention I'm sure 3D Realms will have one hell of a marketing campaign in place to combat consumer complacency.

A mod, on the other hand, is very much tied to the game it's created for, and as Romero pointed out, Doom 3 is all but irrelevant these days, and this Recall to Hell mod won't get much marketing beyond a smattering of worth-of-mouth recommendations among die-hard Doom 3 fans. For that matter, I don't think even a commercial Doom 3 add-on produced by id themselves would find much interest among consumers these days.

Last edited by Mountain Man; 02-11-2008 at 04:05 PM.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:11 PM   #454
Malgon

Good points made by all. I just hope the talent of the RtH team goes on to something greater in the future.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:15 PM   #455
Drazula

A lost opportunity....
Old 02-19-2008, 12:44 PM   #456
Talos

Sayantan isn't even responding I was really looking forward to this mod.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:29 PM   #457
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Yeah, since the thread activity has risen I've been hoping Sayantan would make a post.... saying anything.

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Old 02-19-2008, 05:44 PM   #458
Neptune

I actually haven't seen that guy in a while, though, so maybe he won't be back? Or maybe he's just taking a break from the forum or something.

You can always try posting at the official forums, but that thing is hardly ever used anymore. This is so sad, too. heck, even a few months ago when they did their lasst update it made everyone really interested in it again, so it's not as though no one cares.

I've been considering teaching myself how to make maps using the doom 3 editor simply to help these guys out, but map making is so foreign to me now, the last level I made was for Quake 3 a LONG time ago.... and it was crap. Before that, the only editors I ran was Wolfenstein 3D and the Duke 3d Build Engine, and that engine (i've heard) is one of the easiest editors around.

bah, whatever. I'll keep you guys posted if anything comes up, because I'm just as interested as anyone.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:34 PM   #459
Nihilanth

Reca|| to He|| has been mentioned here by ZizZ^:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZizZ^
The mod i did those canceled enviroments for is Recall To Hell. A very promising mod by team Grid Lock being developed for several years now. Sadly enough the team has been having difficulties finishing the damn thing. Now it isnt very much a level problem, there's tons of great done level content. It's more the things that make them fun to play like gameplay mechanics, items, weapons, monsters (AI) etc... Alot of wich we have but, also alot unfinished. We realized we where to ambitious and decided to divide the mod into episodes. Now i'm sure those episodes will be released sooner or later. The mod is not dead! But it IS idling atm. I'm sure once the whole team can pick up that good old motivation again things will get out eventually. there's so much been done that may and shall not be wasted!

If you still are awaiting good old recall to hell. you can drop a support line in the forums

http://recalltohell.d3files.com/phpbb/
Old 03-02-2008, 12:36 PM   #460
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Nice to finally get some info on what's going on with it. But still, sad.

It sounded like a hugely ambitious mod from the start, but given the renders and screenshots they showed it looked like they were on the right path.

Here's hoping they can find the push to get through the problems and finish it.

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Old 04-07-2008, 10:31 AM   #461
Sayantan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zizz
The mod is not dead! But it IS idling atm. I'm sure once the whole team can pick up that good old motivation again things will get out eventually.
That's Pretty much it. I'm not too active anymore because 3drealms forum is blocked in my office.

Now let's look at my condition. After completing a so-so game I'm working on currently, I'm going back home leaving the company, as it's hopeless to work on a 2D game being a 3D artist for a year and then expect good games from that company furthur on. Mis-management sucks. I'll be going back home to develop my portfolio furthur on. Contributing more for RTH would be a nice way to do so. But the effort to get it done also has to come from the other part of the world you see. Let's see where it goes.

Moreover Real GameDev Job > Modding ..... which nobody can deny.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:48 AM   #462
Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantan View Post
That's Pretty much it. I'm not too active anymore because 3drealms forum is blocked in my office.

Now let's look at my condition. After completing a so-so game I'm working on currently, I'm going back home leaving the company, as it's hopeless to work on a 2D game being a 3D artist for a year and then expect good games from that company furthur on. Mis-management sucks. I'll be going back home to develop my portfolio furthur on. Contributing more for RTH would be a nice way to do so. But the effort to get it done also has to come from the other part of the world you see. Let's see where it goes.

Moreover Real GameDev Job > Modding ..... which nobody can deny.
Good to hear you're still at it man. Just hope you find that "Real GameDev Job" pie in the sky.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:47 PM   #463
Fjallraven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev_Boy View Post
Could this be the... DNF of MODs?
I think the trenches 1.1 has that record.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:17 PM   #464
Hudson

The sad part is before the release of D3 all I could hear was about the impending explosion of Doom 3 mods that rivals the one from the original scene.

[INSERT SYSTEM SPECS THAT NO ONE CARES ABOUT HERE]
Old 04-09-2008, 09:54 AM   #465
Sayantan

Let's admit the following:-

- Gamedev in 2008 needs quite much more manpower(IMO thrice) than that was needed 3/4 years back.
- We all who works in the industry have to work really hard to get our daily bread and pay for our rent. The last time I finished playing a game completely was (I forgot which game) before I got the job.

Now at this kind of a stage obviously we have to losen up our effort towards any mod/TC we were going through previously. Real Life Sucks. Trust me guys, anyday we'd love to finish the project ASAP. But it's just that the situation also has to be like that.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:04 AM   #466
Mountain Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
The sad part is before the release of D3 all I could hear was about the impending explosion of Doom 3 mods that rivals the one from the original scene.

I think it takes a lot more resources and know-how to mod a modern, state of the art game. I don't know if we'll ever again see a modding community like the "good ol' days".

Old 04-09-2008, 10:23 AM   #467
Sayantan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune View Post
sure. http://recalltohell.d3files.com/phpb...bd2a26&start=0

I'll copy his post here too for you guys:
OMG I never noticed that before.

/faints in sheer excitement.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:20 AM   #468
Kev_Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
I think it takes a lot more resources and know-how to mod a modern, state of the art game. I don't know if we'll ever again see a modding community like the "good ol' days".
Absolutely. However, for the lack of quantity compared to back then there is of course much greater quality
Old 04-10-2008, 06:15 AM   #469
Nihilanth

I don't mind it taking longer before it's ready. It's not like a mod is gonna become outdated or something.
Old 12-12-2008, 03:46 PM   #470
Sayantan

As many of you might know the forum has been HACKED for a long time now. Yesterday, I had a brief talk with Yatta, and he somehow dug up my curiosity to get at least something out of the whole thing OUT.

Hence today I, along with Zizz (who has almost left mapping and a pro dancer now) started digging a lot about how to trick the stupid hacked thing. After tinkering with for quite some time, I discovered something. The idiot hacker only altered the main index page. All the internal forum data is still there intact. So I did some more digging with long lost links (and lots of URL altering trials) and concluded with the forum links. You can view the sections now as follows:-

News Section
Jobs Section
General Discussion Section
Suggestion Section
Off-Topic Section
Contests Section
INTERN Section
Mapping | Level Design Section
General Management | Coordination Section
Modeling | Texturing Section
Tweaks | Graphical Improvements Section
Sound Section
General Support Section
Story Section

No idea what I'm trying to do with this. But well, whatever .....
Old 12-12-2008, 04:20 PM   #471
ZuljinRaynor

Well, that sucks. Why did someone want to hack you? :/
Old 12-12-2008, 04:31 PM   #472
Sayantan

That's what everybody wonders. Why the hell would somebody want to hack RTH forum and disturb the workflow?
Old 12-12-2008, 04:34 PM   #473
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantan View Post
That's what everybody wonders. Why the hell would somebody want to hack RTH forum and disturb the workflow?
That's why

Bastards
Old 12-12-2008, 04:48 PM   #474
Nihilanth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
That's why

Bastards
Agreed.

By the way, how's the work on the mod going?
Old 12-12-2008, 04:49 PM   #475
ZuljinRaynor

I don't know why anyone would want to disturb the workflow unless somehow you pissed them off. Best of luck though, looks great.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:31 PM   #476
Micki!

Freaking hackers, but glad it the place isn't lost...
Old 12-12-2008, 05:43 PM   #477
Hyperactive Slob

Hey Sayantan Wasn't there some guy that used to be in the mod team that was a bit rude and racist towards you maybe he did it?
Old 12-12-2008, 05:50 PM   #478
Kristian Joensen

Nice to see that you where able to recover at least SOMETHING. To bad with that hacker attack that really sucks.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:07 PM   #479
Sayantan

Data we got, but I doubt if we can get the confidence among the team members yet again.
Old 12-13-2008, 12:32 AM   #480
Kalki

A lot of people would be sorry to hear that.
"Gentlemen, generations to follow will see us as the first pioneers of the internet. They will look upon our days as those of brave spirits and free ideals - where men were men, women were men and children were the FBI."

Free Speech