Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > General Topics > General Messages
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 12-31-2012, 08:02 AM   #1
Rapture_Rising

Cool Happy New Year 2013
Just wishing everyone here at 3D Realms a happy and safe new year.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:03 AM   #2
8IronBob

Re: Happy New Year 2013
The New Year has already happened in other parts of the world, especially in Australia, New Zealand, and Eastern Asia. Now we have 13 - 16 hours to 2013 here in America, starting with the Eastern U.S, and working its way westward.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:27 AM   #3
Thief

A safe and happy New Year to everyone. May it be better than the last.
We choose our profession in defiance of the greed of the monarchy. We will not live for the sake of taxes to fatten the nobles' pockets. We choose to live the only life available to those who would truly be free. We are Thieves.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:05 PM   #4
Kit

Happy new year chaps. Hope 2013 is a good one for you!
Old 12-31-2012, 02:33 PM   #5
8IronBob

8 hr. 29 min. here in my neck of the woods from the time on this post.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:33 PM   #6
Kristian Joensen

Happy new year!
Old 12-31-2012, 08:38 PM   #7
dan2091

Happy new year, everyone!
Old 12-31-2012, 11:33 PM   #8
Kalki

Happy New Year 2013!
"Gentlemen, generations to follow will see us as the first pioneers of the internet. They will look upon our days as those of brave spirits and free ideals - where men were men, women were men and children were the FBI."

Free Speech
Old 01-01-2013, 03:23 PM   #9
Kit

How did everyone see the new year in and what new year resolutions do you have?

I was a bit of a scrooge and stayed in and had a few glasses of wine. Took in the lovely firework show just after 12 courtesy of next door.

Decided I'm going to make more of an effort this year in all aspects of my life.

New years resolution #1! I've put on a load of weight so I'm going to be signing up to the gym in a few days - some people look alright 'stocky' but I'm not one of them.

Also going to be making more of an effort socially as I'm a bit of an introvert - need to be a bit more chatty.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:43 PM   #10
fast-1

Gym's for wimps, just use the floor, press ups, sit ups, and use weights if have to go to gym.

Also Happy new year you fatties. XD
Old 01-02-2013, 05:44 PM   #11
8IronBob

Either that, or do some hardcore snow shoveling, that's almost as good of exercise as sit ups and push ups combined.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:00 PM   #12
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

No resolutions. No goals.
And really... I think "celebrating" the new year is a bit... pointless.

We're celebrating the natural progression of time. Something that happens on it's own, and that none of us can stop. I know I'm cynical but shit, may as well celebrate the first of every month... or every decade.
Just, to me, New Years is another one of those pointless holidays that can just feck right off.

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Old 01-02-2013, 08:41 PM   #13
8IronBob

I'm wondering how many countries around the world besides ours even takes New Year's Day as seriously, or makes it a huge holiday, now that you mention it.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:32 AM   #14
Kalki

Oh, Internet.

"Gentlemen, generations to follow will see us as the first pioneers of the internet. They will look upon our days as those of brave spirits and free ideals - where men were men, women were men and children were the FBI."

Free Speech
Old 01-03-2013, 01:59 AM   #15
Nihilanth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_Azreal View Post

We're celebrating the natural progression of time. Something that happens on it's own, and that none of us can stop. I know I'm cynical but shit, may as well celebrate the first of every month... or every decade.
Just, to me, New Years is another one of those pointless holidays that can just feck right off.
Pretty much my take on this as well.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:45 AM   #16
hellchicken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalki View Post
Oh, Internet.
LOL. That's really funny. And sad.

But mostly funny.

Happy 2013, everyone.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:13 PM   #17
ZuljinRaynor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8IronBob View Post
I'm wondering how many countries around the world besides ours even takes New Year's Day as seriously, or makes it a huge holiday, now that you mention it.
A lot.

Pretty much every country that follows our calendar.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:14 PM   #18
8IronBob

Just shows how dumb some people are on Twitter to not know about the huge B.C. years.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:00 PM   #19
KO Gilligan

Quote:
No resolutions. No goals.

... and toss some explatives in with your rant against something nearly everybody celebrates.

I have good friends, and an awesome family. Once a year, all around the world, people pry their own mind out of it's little personal self righteous bubble and sing Auld Lang Syne. Some just watch the ball drop with the same person they did last year. We all make a lot of noise, and calculate the exact moment with much hubbub - but that's just so everyone will know - if we are loud enough, even those miles away on their ranches and in their villages will know.

Announcing this time mark is a nice time to reflect, and that's what we do. Not in the moment the noise happens, but in the hours before and after. It really touches a lot of people. God bless those who lost somebody very dear to them this year. Time ticking away for them has become like the inch by inch gravel road peeling away layers of flesh in super slow motion. There is a time to remember, and a time to forget. A time to grieve, and a time to dance. A time to laugh and a time to cry. Auld Lang Syne is a melancholy song that embraces rememberance, yet celebrates moving on. It was never written to lighten up the gruff and grumpy haters in this world.

You see Damien, people are not celebrating either time gone by, or a mark reached. To most of us, it's not about some measurable point in "time" at all. Who cares if the calendar has a timeline reset?

The celebration is about remembering family and friends, and acknowledging those around us. We do tend to forget those who should always be near and dear to our hearts - and those who we owe thanks because they are actually part of what makes us what we are, what we have, and some rather good bits of what we will be in the future. I love New Years because humans are destined to be part of a tribe, and we are often very distant from our neighbors and co-workers. What a great time to get all up into a nearby human's business, and say, "Howdy!"

I'd like to think that's what get-togethers are for in general.

For the anti-social, there's no need to leave a little hate-filled bubble of existance. Nothing else but one's own existance matters. Perhaps that doesn't even matter. There's certainly no reason to ever leave one's house unless absolutely necessary.

I can just imagine you at a New Years Eve party, spouting "This is pointless".
Because, perhaps for you it is. I hope this is not the case. You will get a chuckle out of me if I ever witness that kind of behavior at a New Years Eve party. This is when several of us are looking to make sure a person's car keys are no longer in their possession.

But Happy New Year to you anyway, and Happy New Year to everyone here.
Let's make it a prosperous one!
Last edited by KO Gilligan; 01-03-2013 at 04:11 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:30 PM   #20
Thief

Working for the Gov't, if I book off three specific vacation days at the end of December I get between 8-10 days off in a row every time the calendar year comes to its end. That alone is worth celebrating. Ohh, is it ever!
We choose our profession in defiance of the greed of the monarchy. We will not live for the sake of taxes to fatten the nobles' pockets. We choose to live the only life available to those who would truly be free. We are Thieves.
Last edited by Thief; 01-03-2013 at 05:33 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:38 PM   #21
8IronBob

Yeah, I get a week and a half off for Christmas/New Year's working a county job, although that ended today, obviously. Oh well. We have plenty of holidays throughout the calendar year, and possibly a week of vacation during the summer season that I can use.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:02 PM   #22
KO Gilligan

yes, year end has a whole different meaning in the business world.

The corporation I work for goes bananas over their budget, and it leads to all kinds of shenanigans starting late October as execs race to keep their bonus intact.

The Corporate American New Year isn't all bad though, on January 1st 2014 I move up to 120 hours of paid vacation time per year, and I get several "paid personal days" as well.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:20 PM   #23
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Gilligan View Post

You see Damien, people are not celebrating either time gone by, or a mark reached. To most of us, it's not about some measurable point in "time" at all. Who cares if the calendar has a timeline reset?

The celebration is about remembering family and friends, and acknowledging those around us...
Then it's an issue that people only do this once a year.

I find random, sporadic times to celebrate my wife and our life together. That's why we don't celebrate Valentines Day. We don't need one day to show each other we love one another.

I'm not knocking those that do celebrate it, by all means... do whatever you want or whatever you enjoy.
Just expressing my bit on saying I think it's pointless to celebrate a new year. I'd rather celebrate every new day I have with my wife and family. And I don't need a holiday to make it worth celebrating.

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Old 01-06-2013, 10:26 AM   #24
KO Gilligan

Our earth that we share has exactly one cycle of seasons per year, and economic and social progress is measured and mapped on this timeline as well. The year count is very important on a universal worldly analytical and an intimate personnal level - But the point of a huge universal get-together is that it's something for everyone, and it represents a cycle we are bound to, and can relate to. I'm not in my personal micro group claiming a special day is better than any other special day - and I'll be damned if it's a competition about who is the most loving to their favorite people and how often. Life does have a yearly cycle, and this is about coming together, and it's about our gains as well as our losses that we share.

I'm taking part in something we are all doing - and it seems appropriate as an annual event - it's not just some Hallmark greeting card moment triumphant.

It's interesting that this most closely relates to celebrations of tribal peoples that transcend the "calendar" - from a time when each yearly celebration related to the season and the cycle of life for our migration and the food that we eat. Perhaps some version of an interpretation of New Years relates to our planet, and if we ever leave it, we'll be left with a more meaningless counting of the days. Seems rather lifeless and mechanical that we might be one day disconnected from this universal environmental cycle.

If the yearly thing means nothing more than a fiscal business cycle, that's your business, but it's not a trivial day for those who participate.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:15 AM   #25
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

I'm not saying it's trivial for those who participate. If people wish to celebrate it... good for them.
For me it's a trivial day where people use it as a lame excuse to get drunk and act all YAY and such.
It's just another day.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:58 PM   #26
KO Gilligan

Quote:
people use it as a lame excuse to get drunk and act all YAY and such.
It's just another day.
That's just sweet as plum pie, Damien.

There is millions of people in which I'm sure this is true, but you are wrong if you think that New Years events are an occasion to get "drunk" for most people. Compared to many events, there is a low percentage of overly intoxicated people, and you can find parties of very jolly sober people everywhere. I don't know if you enjoy sports, but a typical football game is overwhelmed with people who are ridiculously drunk, and I sure wouldn't write off any sport as just an an excuse for people to get drunk and act all "YAY and such. Perhaps bowling.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:39 AM   #27
X-Vector

In Great Britain and parts of Western Europe it's darts.

Yay.