Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Other Apogee/3D Realms Games > Max Payne
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 10-20-2008, 02:36 PM   #41
HP

Maxpayne Vista Easy Sound fix
I just felt like sharing some love to this community again!
There are a couple of fixes out there, but all of them are a pain in the ass to follow, having to unpack the game, encode the musics, and pack it again.

With this fix, you’ll only have to run a .BAT file, and wait 2 minutes!

Download link: http://www.helderpinto.com/files/Max..._Sound_Fix.rar

Here's my blog post link for those interested:
http://www.helderpinto.com/blog/pers...sound-fix.html

www.helderpinto.com
Old 10-27-2008, 02:23 PM   #42
aview2akill
Re: Vista Sound Fix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seban View Post
I have done exactly (and couple of times) as it is written here and I kept recivng the following error:

http://img87.imageshack.us/my.php?im...dfixingfc7.jpg

"Exception in engineInit: X_SharedDB: Weapons "empty" and "empty" had same ID"
I too was getting the same error until I noticed I missed something in the directions and maybe you could double check on your system. I had installed the game in C:\Program Files\MaxPayne, instead of C:\MaxPayne, once I realized the error I tried it again and it works flawlessly now
Old 12-03-2008, 09:45 AM   #43
Samji

Thanks for this. Going to try it out now.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:56 PM   #44
anandvvn
Thumbs up Re: Vista Sound Fix
, thanks a lot dude for, it worked perfectly.
Old 03-22-2009, 03:20 PM   #45
blenkarnie

All too complicated for me. I'm playing Max I for the second time and just not worrying about the sound which is only during the cartoons. Vista is a pain but it came with my new PC.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:48 AM   #46
freeman0001
im getting the exact same error as seban. I just bought the game off of steam and when i download the fix and extract it to the correct folder location i get the error seban had. is it because i cant move the max payne file to the c:\ location as mentioned in darkjes steps? if so how can i do this?
Old 04-13-2009, 01:37 PM   #47
DarkjeThe2nd
Hi all,

Since I wrote the first versions of conversion script (v0.1 and 0.2) back when vista was released and the sound-issue first surfaced, I've always known it was not finished. I did not have much time to finish it, but it seemed to be working quite well as it was, so I posted it over at the 3dRealms forum, and had no time to look back.

Lately I found some time and looked at it again, and I also checked the forums to see what happened there and found the current state of affairs ;0 (march-09)

Since the release of v0.2 some issues came up with it (of course!) , main issues being the lack of support for mods and leaving the data in extracted state without repacking it.

Crimson Behelit and MaddieMan did a great job, picking it up where I left it: releasing v0.3 and trying to tackle the main issues. Some good finds where done, but also some new complications crept in.

The script was over-complicated and over-informative, I wanted to clean that up and tackle some of the remaining issues.

So I decided to pick it up again and release v0.5beta (probably few more releases will follow)

You can read the rest of the post at http://www.alanwake.com/forum/showpo...3&postcount=13
and also download the latest fix there. (v0.6 at the time of writing)

Best Regards, and may the payne be with you ...

Darkje
Last edited by DarkjeThe2nd; 04-14-2009 at 07:44 AM.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:44 PM   #48
freeman0001
I was wondering if you could post guidelines as to how to apply this fix to people using the steam version of the game. in the original fix the game needed to be directly installed to c:\games\max payne. the steam version doesnt allow this i think and if it does could you please help me to place it there? the game isnt the same without the music : / thanks in advance.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:28 PM   #49
DarkjeThe2nd
I'll try to find out.
You sure can't place the patch-files in the directory where the game is installed?
Is it because steam does not allow changing the files?

edit: have you tried the latest version (v0.7 atm) from the link above? I removed path dependancies since v0.5, so if you are able to locate the game and find the needed files as described there, it should work!

mmm... I did find out something... if you have the game installed in '\Program Files (x86)\Max Payne' the script won't work, because vista does not allow. best solution for now is to copy or move the entire game directory somewhere else and run the patch and the game from there.
Last edited by DarkjeThe2nd; 04-15-2009 at 04:34 PM.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:05 AM   #50
DarkjeThe2nd
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeman0001 View Post
I was wondering if you could post guidelines as to how to apply this fix to people using the steam version of the game. in the original fix the game needed to be directly installed to c:\games\max payne. the steam version doesnt allow this i think and if it does could you please help me to place it there? the game isnt the same without the music : / thanks in advance.
I've fixed the script for steam issues and other Vista-UAC related problems, it will now detect them and offer to copy the game to an other location, if the condition exists.

download v0.8 here:
http://www.alanwake.com/forum/showpo...3&postcount=13

... and report if it worked for you.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:14 PM   #51
freeman0001
hi darkje

thanks for your attention lol. I tried the fix recommended in the read me of the new fix and i was able to move the game to a new directory once id gotten it out of steam so the pathway now reads C:\Max payne. i ran the fix and at this part of the process i cant figure out how to get the file to run from its new location all the files are there and what not and if i move it back to its location in the steam apps and launch it from there the game works with the converted RAS files instead of giving me an error message but it contains no music (all other sounds are working however). is it important to not move the files back to steam? how can i launch the game from outside of steam in its new location? thanks in advance.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:20 PM   #52
DarkjeThe2nd
No you don't have to move back, you can run from outside steam (I hope because I can't really try it, as I don't have the steam game, but if you can't please bear with me, I will then try to solve it)

- To run the game you click the file 'Max Payne(.exe)' in the fix location.

- To run the patch again, just click on the patch in the fix location. For example if you added mods or want to restore.

(you can also make a shortcut to those files on your desktop)

edit: you have just given me another idea ... a launch game option...
Last edited by DarkjeThe2nd; 04-17-2009 at 02:55 PM.
Old 04-17-2009, 03:49 PM   #53
freeman0001
it doesn't work outside of steam. i click the run max payne file and it replies with an application load error(0x02) but when i place it back into the steam apps it can be launched from there. what a bother lol ill just play with no music max payne 3 is in the works so i dont really mind lol.
Old 04-17-2009, 03:53 PM   #54
DarkjeThe2nd
please help me so I can try fix it... post a screenshot of your steam game directory and the fix directory...

oh and if you place back the converted files, you still have no music?
Last edited by DarkjeThe2nd; 04-17-2009 at 03:55 PM.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:58 PM   #55
DarkjeThe2nd
*** Updated 25-Apr-09 ***

beta v0.88, 25-Apr-09:
- fixed: In the Steam client, if you do a "verify integrity of game cache" it will restore the converted files (like it should), but it seems backups the script made remain, causing the script to think the game was already converted. Now it detects this situation where the main files and backups are similar size and synchronizes the backup to reflect that the script is now dealing with an unconverted game again.
- Some minor tweaks all over.

beta v0.87, 24-Apr-09:
- fixed: Elevation (elevate.vbs) would not work right with Windows7 (build 7000).
- fixed: A minor bug was reported in debug level1, a missing label caused a label not found error and caused an informative text not to be displayed.

beta v0.86, 23-Apr-09:
- Hehe, did it again :O , another minor update needed just after release, to fix that the [L][S] options appeared in different order in the list, compared to the input prompt below. (Can still be seen in the screens). Don't know why I did not spot that earlier, but here is a new revision to fix it.

beta v0.85, 23-Apr-09:
- Script will prompt for elevation if restricted by vista-UAC at current location. (You do need an account with admin rights to be able to allow this, I think)
- Script will create shortcut on desktop on exit, if no shortcut exists yet.
- [S]tart analysis again option added. Useful to rescan the found files.
- [L]aunch game option added. Will attempt to launch game.
- [F]ix option removed. No need for fixes any more!
- Script will return to main menu after convert or restore options, so you can launch or do other tasks.
- Yet an other debug level added: level 1, verbose mode. Other levels shifted up.
- Found a way to suppress sox error messages, used at debug levels 0 and 1 for cleaner display.
- Rasmaker extract/pack comments also suppressed for cleaner display.
- Script comments added and script cleaned.
- Debug level2 bug removed.
- Analysis phase extended.
- Status messages during conversion/restore phases.
- Fixed "fresh game" message when no game at all was there.
- Readme updated.

get it at: http://www.alanwake.com/forum/showpo...5&postcount=18
Last edited by DarkjeThe2nd; 04-25-2009 at 12:36 PM. Reason: updated
Old 05-03-2009, 02:49 PM   #56
DarkjeThe2nd
Ok people, released the final 1.0 version of the conversion script...
read about it here: http://www.alanwake.com/forum/showthread.php?p=38552

download here: http://www.filedropper.com/maxpaynesoundpatch10
Old 05-04-2009, 05:15 AM   #57
Mariamus

okay, there's a new sticky thread on this topic. i'm closing this one since it's outdated now