Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Other Apogee/3D Realms Games
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 12-20-2014, 08:34 PM   #1
twelvepaws

Question Duke Nukum
This is the original Duke Nukum, hence the spelling, which was the result of what was thought to be avoiding a conflict with a European game copyright spelled Nukem. When it was discovered that there was no conflict, Apogee used the Nukem spelling for all subsequent Duke games.

So much for ancient history. Right now I'm playing Duke3 in the original series, and at one of the later levels...I lost count...the one that's all light green, I'm having trouble using the grappling hook on a section of the overhead that has a gap, to get across it to the short chain or whatever it is you're grappling with, to what's above. I've tried pushing UP and RIGHT simultaneously, going really fast and everything else I can imagine but can't get across that gap. So I fall down and lose more lives because I land in a bunch of stalagmites. Sure would appreciate a tip from someone who has played and beat that level.

KC Royals - World Series 2015 Champs!
Old 12-20-2014, 10:32 PM   #2
Rapture_Rising

Re: Duke Nukum
Wait, wasn't the "Nukum" spelling because of the Captain Planet villain "Duke Nukem"? iirc, Apogee changed the name to avoid a lawsuit but discovered that the producers never trademarked the name Duke Nukem.
Old 12-21-2014, 02:15 PM   #3
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture_Rising View Post
Wait, wasn't the "Nukum" spelling because of the Captain Planet villain "Duke Nukem"? iirc, Apogee changed the name to avoid a lawsuit but discovered that the producers never trademarked the name Duke Nukem.
Correct. At the time we thought our use of Duke Nukem was going to be a problem, and we changed the spelling for the v2.0 update of the original Duke Nukem game. Duke Nukem II started life called "Duke Nukum II", and somewere during the dev of that we found out we were clear with the original spelling, and changed it back for the release of Duke Nukem II. We never did go back and fix the original game. Wish we had, a lot of this would have been avoided.

Not sure what twelvepaws is on about there.

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16
Old 12-21-2014, 09:29 PM   #4
twelvepaws

Was trying to clarify which Duke game I was playing...guess I could have just said Duke Nukem 1 but wasn't sure because of the explanatory note that was included in the files for the game, which recounted the Nukem-Nukum controversy.

I'll have to go back to the game and find out which level I'm talking about, but I'm pretty sure it's one of the advanced levels in what the file calls Duke3 in the original Duke game...the first Duke N game. It's hard to describe the problem I'm having but anyone who's played that level should know what I'm talking about. OK, it's level ? in Episode 3 of Duke Nukem 1. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I guess this thread belonged in the Duke Nukem forum above. I hadn't been here in awhile, found a lot of changes and got confused.

Last edited by twelvepaws; 12-21-2014 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Add to Post
Old 12-24-2014, 04:41 PM   #5
Alyxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Siegler View Post
At the time we thought our use of Duke Nukem was going to be a problem, and we changed the spelling for the v2.0 update of the original Duke Nukem game. Duke Nukem II started life called "Duke Nukum II", and somewere during the dev of that we found out we were clear with the original spelling, and changed it back for the release of Duke Nukem II. We never did go back and fix the original game. Wish we had, a lot of this would have been avoided.
Eh, I've always referred to it as Duke Nukem and I think most people just simply ignore that it's called Nukum.
Old 12-25-2014, 01:23 AM   #6
Hendricks266
Quote:
Wish we had, a lot of this would have been avoided.
Why not make a new version now? If Duke II got sunglasses...
Old 12-25-2014, 09:08 AM   #7
Frenkel

Which level?
Old 12-26-2014, 09:27 AM   #8
Rigelatin

This part?
Old 12-26-2014, 08:58 PM   #9
twelvepaws

You found it! I used to be able to get across that gap and shift up to the section overhead, but I guess I've lost my touch.

Old 12-27-2014, 05:19 AM   #10
Rigelatin

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepaws View Post
I've tried pushing UP and RIGHT simultaneously
Wait, you actually missed this platform, right?
Old 12-27-2014, 11:06 AM   #11
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendricks266 View Post
Why not make a new version now? If Duke II got sunglasses...
You'd have to have the source code. We looked into releasing that some years ago, as far as we know, it no longer exists.

Old 12-27-2014, 07:53 PM   #12
Hendricks266
Quote:
You'd have to have the source code. We looked into releasing that some years ago, as far as we know, it no longer exists.
Not necessarily. User K1n9_Duk3 made just such a patch. His link is a 404, but I've mirrored the file here: http://hendricks266.duke4.net/stuff/dukepatch_11.zip

I've tested it successfully on the Steam package and the 3DR Anthology package.
Old 12-28-2014, 12:15 PM   #13
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendricks266 View Post
Not necessarily. User K1n9_Duk3 made just such a patch. His link is a 404, but I've mirrored the file here: http://hendricks266.duke4.net/stuff/dukepatch_11.zip

I've tested it successfully on the Steam package and the 3DR Anthology package.
Well, yeah, I suppose you could hack it like that, but after all this time, I don't see that happening, it's been "Nukum" for an exceptionally long time. Now having said that, Fred could turn and do it, while driving the bus over me...

But I know of no plans. Besides, there's no way we could use that, not on an officially released product anyway. It would have to be done on this end, so we could know precisely what is in a patch and what is being done.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:08 PM   #14
Lunick Fiore

Why couldn't it be used on an official product when they used a different tool from the same developer to change the sprites in Duke 2...
Old 12-29-2014, 04:15 AM   #15
twelvepaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigelatin View Post
Wait, you actually missed this platform, right?
I sure did. The background and platforms all being the same color makes it easy to miss something like that. Can't wait to go back and try it. Thanks for taking the time and trouble to solve this problem for me.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:58 PM   #16
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunick Fiore View Post
Why couldn't it be used on an official product when they used a different tool from the same developer to change the sprites in Duke 2...
What?

Old 12-31-2014, 04:45 AM   #17
TerminX

Quote:
What?
The guy who made the "Nukum" -> "Nukem" patch for the original DN is the same guy who made the utility Interceptor used to "retcon" Duke's sunglasses into the Duke Nukem II release that's on iOS and Steam.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:49 PM   #18
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerminX View Post
The guy who made the "Nukum" -> "Nukem" patch for the original DN is the same guy who made the utility Interceptor used to "retcon" Duke's sunglasses into the Duke Nukem II release that's on iOS and Steam.
Ah, OK. Didn't know that. That happened when I wasn't involved. I'm personally not a fan of that, I think it should have been left as is. It was "my" Duke, eh?

Old 01-01-2015, 09:20 PM   #19
twelvepaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenkel View Post
Didn't realize you had all those level maps, Frenkel. A lot of time and work went into those. Now I can see what all I've missed in the levels I've played. One question: Where is level 11? My game ends with the boss confrontation at the end of Level 10 in Episode 3.

Last edited by twelvepaws; 01-01-2015 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Add to Post
Old 01-02-2015, 08:07 AM   #20
Rigelatin

Demo.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:23 PM   #21
Frenkel

Start the game with command line argument asp (e.g. C:\duke1\dn1.exe asp) and then at the main menu press ALT + F6 to play the demo level a.k.a. level 11.
Old 01-02-2015, 06:05 PM   #22
twelvepaws

Thanks Rigelatin and Frenkel. That it was the demo level never occurred to me, probably because I never played the demo level.

Old 01-03-2015, 04:01 PM   #23
Frenkel

The demo level looks a lot like level 1 of episode 2.
Old 01-10-2015, 02:42 AM   #24
Commando Nukem

Quote:
Ah, OK. Didn't know that. That happened when I wasn't involved. I'm personally not a fan of that, I think it should have been left as is. It was "my" Duke, eh?
Hey, it's still your Duke. They didn't replace your vocals with JSJ.

In fact, was it not you who did that little edit of the intro on Youtube?
Old 01-11-2015, 02:38 PM   #25
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

I'm with Joe.
I don't think they should've added the shades to Duke in DN2. Just... not a fan.

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Old 02-04-2015, 07:12 PM   #26
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commando Nukem View Post
Hey, it's still your Duke. They didn't replace your vocals with JSJ.

In fact, was it not you who did that little edit of the intro on Youtube?
Yeah, that was me. I've met JSJ once face to face. That was at the Community Day Gearbox did surrounding the release of Duke Forevever. I got him to say "I'm back" into my cel phone, and I slapped the audio (rather crudely) into the opening sequence.

Old 07-31-2015, 05:02 AM   #27
King Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenkel View Post
Start the game with command line argument asp (e.g. C:\duke1\dn1.exe asp) and then at the main menu press ALT + F6 to play the demo level a.k.a. level 11.
How did you find out about that? Disassembly?

And since it's been brought up: I am the bastard who created the NUKUM to NUKEM patch, the editor for Duke Nukem II that Interceptor used, a little project called "ReDuke", and some other stuff. I hope Joe isn't too mad at me for this.

If you've read the original thread about the NUKUM to NUKEM patch, you'll see that I was saying something about not having finished what I wanted to release to celebrate Duke's 20th anniversary. If you were wondering: I was talking about ReDuke. Any suggestions for the 25th anniversary next year?

And if anyone has trouble finishing the original Duke trilogy, try playing the games with ReDuke. I'll let you know a secret: Start the game with a -debug parameter. This will let you scroll through the level by hitting the TAB key and then using the arrow keys to scroll. Hit TAB again to resume the game. You can also place Duke anywhere you want by placing the mouse cursor at the desired location and clicking the left mouse button. The right mouse button has a neat effect, too.
Old 08-01-2015, 04:06 PM   #28
Frenkel

Duke Nukem Re: Duke Nukum
I disassembled the executable with IDA.
Somewhere in the executable there are a bunch of bytes that are either 0 or 1, depending on whether a key on the keyboard is pressed or not. Esc is the first key in this bunch, ! or 1 is the second and F6 is the 40th (in hex). Not every key is used in the game, but I found out F6 is used.
I also found out the game does something when you start the game with the command line argument asp and you press ALT + F6 at the same time.
I used the DOSBox debugger to set a breakpoint at the start of the piece of code that checks whether F6 is pressed or not. Then I played the game and started pressing ALT + F6. Suddenly the debugger popped up. I pressed F5 to continue the execution and then I was playing the demo level.

Or something like that. It's more than 6 years ago that I discovered this cheat.
Old 08-18-2015, 02:10 PM   #29
Frenkel

BTW, I should have said "IDA Pro Freeware". It's a free version of an interactive disassembler, so everyone can try it out.

I use version 4.1 to disassemble executables. I think it handles DOS executables better than later versions, but I hate its text-based user interface, so I use version 5.0 and its graphical user interface to process the output of version 4.1.