Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Duke Nukem
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 07-01-2011, 02:35 PM   #1
King Duke

Duke Nukem Duke's 20th anniversary
Today we get to celebrate 20 years of Duke Nukem!

Unfortunately, I haven't quite finished what I was planning to release on this occasion. Instead, I'll just link to something I did earlier this year: a "NUKUM" to "NUKEM" patch for Version 2.0 of the original Duke Nukem trilogy.

Hope you'll have some fun with this...
Old 07-09-2011, 09:14 AM   #2
8IronBob

Re: Duke's 20th anniversary
Well, since DNF was released not too far away from the 20th anniversary, that game should have marked that occasion, but it wasn't with the fanfare that everyone expected. Sorry, just had to throw that one out there.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:38 PM   #3
crunchy superman

. . .and then Duke made his grand appearance at the party by tripping over his own feet and falling face first into the birthday cake. The few in attendance reported that they weren't so much amused by his clumsiness as they were saddened by his own ignorance of his deteriorated condition.

Film at 11.

Old 07-09-2011, 03:49 PM   #4
ZuljinRaynor

Whatever, Duke Nukem Forever was awesome.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:55 AM   #5
evilemperorzorg

Happy Birthday Duke.I know that that's not your forums anymore but i had to do it.
HAIL TO 3D REALMS BABY
Old 08-08-2011, 09:51 AM   #6
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Technically, nobody remembers the true actual 20th anniversary date. When I got hired by Gearbox, one of the first things I did was construct a timeline of events surrounding Duke Nukem. I used my own timeline I put together during the 3DR days as a starting point.

Thing is, when I came on board originally in 1992, one of my first functions was organizing the library. Problem I had was that a lot of documentation was kind of haphazard, and true release dates were unknown. In a lot of cases, I relied on the time/date stamp of the original releases that I worked with when I started working there.

For some of them it wasn't possible to pin it down to a precise date, so in those cases, I chose the first of the month as the release date. That's what happened with Duke Nukem I. My timeline has the months right, but actual days are unknown. So July 1, 1991 (which was a Monday) was "picked" to be the noted release date. But the true day in July 1991 is unknown.

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16
Old 08-10-2011, 02:39 PM   #7
evilemperorzorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Siegler View Post
Technically, nobody remembers the true actual 20th anniversary date. When I got hired by Gearbox, one of the first things I did was construct a timeline of events surrounding Duke Nukem. I used my own timeline I put together during the 3DR days as a starting point.

Thing is, when I came on board originally in 1992, one of my first functions was organizing the library. Problem I had was that a lot of documentation was kind of haphazard, and true release dates were unknown. In a lot of cases, I relied on the time/date stamp of the original releases that I worked with when I started working there.

For some of them it wasn't possible to pin it down to a precise date, so in those cases, I chose the first of the month as the release date. That's what happened with Duke Nukem I. My timeline has the months right, but actual days are unknown. So July 1, 1991 (which was a Monday) was "picked" to be the noted release date. But the true day in July 1991 is unknown.
Damn you Joe.You always have an interesting story to say