Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Other Apogee/3D Realms Games > Max Payne
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 03-20-2010, 08:22 AM   #521
someguy2435

Re: Max Payne 3
Regardless of how shitty it looks, I'll probably play it (especially if there's a demo) and if I like that I'll probably buy it.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:28 AM   #522
Mariamus

I'll probably play the demo as well. If only to crush my last hopes of a decent game completely.
Old 03-20-2010, 12:14 PM   #523
Kalki

Oh it could still be a decent game. Not a Max Payne game but a decent game, sure.
"Gentlemen, generations to follow will see us as the first pioneers of the internet. They will look upon our days as those of brave spirits and free ideals - where men were men, women were men and children were the FBI."

Free Speech
Old 03-20-2010, 12:20 PM   #524
Cleric

It's called Max Payne. Max Payne is the lead character. It's a Max Payne game whether people like it or not, albeit changed from the first two
Konami Gamer ID:steak_and_cheese
Old 03-20-2010, 11:55 PM   #525
Kalki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleric View Post
It's called Max Payne. Max Payne is the lead character. It's a Max Payne game whether people like it or not, albeit changed from the first two
There are parameters other than the title and a vague semblance of the lead character, that go into defining a game. We'll just have to see.
"Gentlemen, generations to follow will see us as the first pioneers of the internet. They will look upon our days as those of brave spirits and free ideals - where men were men, women were men and children were the FBI."

Free Speech
Old 03-21-2010, 09:45 AM   #526
Cleric

True. The devs are really pushing the fact that they've kept the whole "noir" aspect of the series intact, along with keeping the graphic novel story presentation (which I will personally be VERY upset with if it's not there), but without anything other than a handful of screenshots to go by so far...
Old 05-09-2010, 08:15 AM   #527
Unbeholder

It's coming... its COMING, its here, get away, get awayyyy.

The fLEsH OF FalEN AnGEls

Max Payne definitely looks more like Bruce Willis from Die Hard 4
Old 05-09-2010, 05:27 PM   #528
Commando Nukem

Quote:
It's called Max Payne.
Yeah, so? If I call dog crap chocolate pudding does that make it so?

Quote:
Max Payne is the lead character.
If he looks, sounds and feels nothing like Max Payne, then no, he's Max Payne in name only.

Quote:
It's a Max Payne game whether people like it or not
Ever hear of Highlander 2 : The Quickening? Me neither. Ergo, people can ignore shitty sequels, and it matters more when we do it than the developers because we're the ones with the green-bills.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:29 PM   #529
Cleric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commando Nukem View Post
Yeah, so? If I call dog crap chocolate pudding does that make it so?
That's stretching it quite a bit, I think.

Quote:
If he looks, sounds and feels nothing like Max Payne, then no, he's Max Payne in name only.
People can change. He's a lot older now. It fits the context of the story. Still want the leather jacket? Play the first two.

Quote:
Ever hear of Highlander 2 : The Quickening? Me neither. Ergo, people can ignore shitty sequels, and it matters more when we do it than the developers because we're the ones with the green-bills.
Then go ahead and ignore it. Nobody's jamming the game down your throat, just like nobody's forcing you to come in here and judge it.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:07 PM   #530
Commando Nukem

Quote:
That's stretching it quite a bit, I think.
No, thats exactly how it is. The metaphor fits perfectly. You even go on to admit that. If hes a fat bald guy that sounds nothing like Max Payne and acts almost nothing like him. Hes not Max Payne. You're hell bent on excusing change.

It's basically like saying Duke Nukem sporting a mohawk, piercings, a flannel shirt, and baggy gangster shorts, sporting the voice of Miley Cyrus and quoting shakespeare, whilst fighting in the Netherlands against mutant jack rabbits is still Duke Nukem because it says "Duke Nukem" on the package.

Theres a difference between "Times change" and "we're using 'Max Payne' as name recognition for a completely revised franchise."

Duke Nukem changed when he went from 2D to 3D, but he was still Duke Nukem. He still had the same general appearance, the same general attitude, the same goal. The volume and resolution were kicked up, thats all. What they're doing here is the totally wrong thing to do. They took everything about Max Payne that was awesome, picked it up, put it in a trash can, and started right the Hell over.

Quote:
People can change. He's a lot older now. It fits the context of the story. Still want the leather jacket? Play the first two.
I guess anyone who invests love, time, and money into the first two and would like to see the same themes continued can just go "**** off" right? Please.

Quote:
Then go ahead and ignore it. Nobody's jamming the game down your throat, just like nobody's forcing you to come in here and judge it.
...and Nobody is forcing these guys to screw it all up, either. As long as they're willing to screw it up, im willing to rant and rave about it. I love Max Payne. I dont want to see it screwed up, and yes, it looks absolutely crappy what they're doing to it. I will be a humongous ass about it for the rest of my life, and be damn happy to do so.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:20 PM   #531
MegaMustaine

I know I have said this a million times, but wait until we get a better look. We have seen maybe 10 screens if that, and have very little info on the game. You have no idea whether it will be faithful to the series or not Commando. We have seen much more of DNF than we have seen of this game and that is saying something.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:22 PM   #532
Cleric

Honestly, I don't know why I'm continuing this conversation, because both of our arguments are pure speculation. But oh well...welcome to the intarnetz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commando Nukem View Post
No, thats exactly how it is. The metaphor fits perfectly. You even go on to admit that. If hes a fat bald guy that sounds nothing like Max Payne and acts almost nothing like him. Hes not Max Payne. You're hell bent on excusing change.
Hell bent on excusing change? I'm just trying to be optimistic instead of being afraid of change. And how do you know how he's going to "act" in the game? I'm not saying that I know the answer to that, but come on. There's all that speculation again.

Quote:
It's basically like saying Duke Nukem sporting a mohawk, piercings, a flannel shirt, and baggy gangster shorts, sporting the voice of Miley Cyrus and quoting shakespeare, whilst fighting in the Netherlands against mutant jack rabbits is still Duke Nukem because it says "Duke Nukem" on the package.
Alright, now THAT'S taking it a bit too far .

Quote:
Theres a difference between "Times change" and "we're using 'Max Payne' as name recognition for a completely revised franchise."
Who said anything about a franchise? From what I've heard, this is the last Max Payne game.

Quote:
Duke Nukem changed when he went from 2D to 3D, but he was still Duke Nukem. He still had the same general appearance, the same general attitude, the same goal. The volume and resolution were kicked up, thats all. What they're doing here is the totally wrong thing to do. They took everything about Max Payne that was awesome, picked it up, put it in a trash can, and started right the Hell over.
Again, you're assuming things that nobody knows. You can tell that this has absolutely nothing in common with the first two games by looking at six screenshots and a few interviews?

And let me ask you this - if YOU were making Max Payne 3 (don't try using the "if I had my way it wouldn't be made" argument, because, face it - it's happening), would you think his appearance and attitude would be the same nearly a decade after the events of the first two? Would it make sense for it to all stay the same? You'd have to be pretty cold blooded to not be f*cked up after going through all of that.

Quote:
I guess anyone who invests love, time, and money into the first two and would like to see the same themes continued can just go "**** off" right? Please.
First of all, I still play the first two games, and I adore them. Second, how do you know what themes the story will follow? You're immediately crying foul because, visually, the game looks different, and bullet time is being tweaked.

Quote:
...and Nobody is forcing these guys to screw it all up, either. As long as they're willing to screw it up, im willing to rant and rave about it. I love Max Payne. I dont want to see it screwed up, and yes, it looks absolutely crappy what they're doing to it. I will be a humongous ass about it for the rest of my life, and be damn happy to do so.
Then by all means, carry on. If it sucks, you can say "I told you so", and vice-versa.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:57 AM   #533
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaMustaine View Post
I know I have said this a million times, but wait until we get a better look. We have seen maybe 10 screens if that, and have very little info on the game. You have no idea whether it will be faithful to the series or not Commando. We have seen much more of DNF than we have seen of this game and that is saying something.
Exactly.
With the information we have now (next to none) and the media we've seen (about five screens that show... nothing) it's hard to really form a solid opinion on the game.

And with Rockstar and Take 2 not giving out any info at all... that doesn't help.

Cleric, some people are against the changes for these exact reasons. We've seen no gameplay... heard nothing solid on story, haven't heard what Max sounds like now... we have nothing to go by other than what has been said.
And with two games already down, it's a very odd choice to come in and change everything.
People were fans of the Max Payne games because of how the first two looked, played and felt... Max Payne 3 looks to be changing all of that. So yeah, people are going to hell bent against it. Fine. Let them.

Because until some gameplay footage and more solid information surfaces... there's no way you can convince someone any different.

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Old 05-13-2010, 10:58 PM   #534
MegaMustaine

I actually think the game has gone into hibernation because the devs are taking the criticism to heart and are changing things up a bit.
Old 05-14-2010, 12:14 AM   #535
Cleric

Understood, DA. It just kind of stinks that we're hearing the two extremes of the argument (me being one ) while we really don't know what's in store for the game. I'm not shunning it because I love the MP series and hope this new one can stay faithful. If I get let down, than so be it.
Old 05-16-2010, 03:51 AM   #536
Mariamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaMustaine View Post
I actually think the game has gone into hibernation because the devs are taking the criticism to heart and are changing things up a bit.
I bloody hope so.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:54 PM   #537
MegaMustaine

I think there were a few people around here who thought the game might have been scrapped. Just to confirm that it hasn't been, Red Dead Redemption comes with a card that says "Max Payne 3, coming soon."
Old 05-20-2010, 01:20 PM   #538
nebiatsu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariamus View Post
I bloody hope so.
And that makes 3.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:38 PM   #539
dan2091

^^Yeah, MegaMustaine, I saw the Max Payne ads in some unboxing videos... Nice to see they're really targeting at releasing Max Payne soon.

While I don't hate the 'way' they're going with Max Payne, I have to admit that I'd have loved to see more of the young lad in New York, and see Mona coming back.. Fighting back the mob and the corrupted government.

I'm not brasilian but, about the jungle settings... please, knock it off. Brasil and Latin America is not a jungle, damn industralization and construction of urban cities has grown just too much to say we live in a fooking place full of trees. Nothing wrong with that, but I find it totally nonsense that kind of stereotype.

Also, I'm not sure about this being the last game. See how they emphasized on Max's 'lost years'? There's something going on there.

One way or another, I really hope they change back some things and make Max younger, with hair and more in shape... And I so much want to remind everyone that Max Payne withouth his glorious jacket is simply not Max Payne. Anyway, I have yet to see how it turns out, cause I really hope they do it right.
Last edited by dan2091; 05-20-2010 at 07:40 PM.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:01 AM   #540
MegaMustaine

I'm all for whatever change they make, but after playing Alan Wake I'm a little disappointed that Remedy will not be developing the third installment. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure R* will do an amazing job but it will be hard for them to capture the Remedy feel. By the way because I'm going to spam the hell out this forum promoting Alan Wake, if you like MP go buy Alan Wake immediately!!!!
Last edited by MegaMustaine; 05-21-2010 at 12:10 PM.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:29 AM   #541
dan2091

Haha.. I support that! Now that they've released Alan Wake, they may go back and do Alan Wake 2, depending on numbers. Otherwise, I'd like to see Remedy Entertainment being 'hired back' for another Max Payne installment.

Sure, I don't want them (R* Vancouver) to scrap what they've done up to now, but I wouldn't mind Remedy coming back and do a fourth Max Payne after this.

I hope TV Shows are back on the Max Payne world and probably evolve that concept in some manner; this is what I'm most afraid of, tvshows not coming back... All I care of is details!! features! come on!

I've yet to play Alan Wake, but I've been doing a Max Payne 1 & 2 marathon for the sake of it, and I'll do it again once a definite Max Payne 3 release date is announced.
Old 05-30-2010, 02:07 PM   #542
fast-1

They should change Max Payne, cause it don't look like him.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:01 PM   #543
K100

May Payne 3 Delayed Again
http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/64170
Old 06-08-2010, 03:33 PM   #544
nebiatsu
Quote:
Originally Posted by K100 View Post
Why the ?

This can only be good news.
Maybe they listened to the outcry, and are changing it.

Last edited by nebiatsu; 06-08-2010 at 04:25 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-08-2010, 04:07 PM   #545
K100

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebiatsu View Post
Why the ?
Because I want to play this game...
Last edited by K100; 06-08-2010 at 04:11 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:42 PM   #546
PsychoGoatee

I wonder if Max Payne's legendary leopard shirt will be featured in this game as a DLC item.

Perhaps his hair will be a DLC item?

'ho boy, this game. On one hand, it's interesting that they're apparently not trying to emulate the old games. On the other hand...
Old 06-08-2010, 05:39 PM   #547
dan2091

^Hair as a DLC FTW!!
Old 06-08-2010, 05:49 PM   #548
nebiatsu
I dont think they would go so far as the hair as dlc.

But DEFINITELY the leather jacket would be $5
Old 06-08-2010, 06:53 PM   #549
marioman360

With that extra year they can put Max back in New York and give him hair again.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:39 PM   #550
BuddhaMaster
I made this a while ago

I love MP - MP2 is if not the BEST videogame made ever, The only game I will never ever delete from harddisk.
But the first MP3 screenshots I thought are ridiculous,
this image explains everything I was thinking about it
Old 06-10-2010, 03:06 AM   #551
Xgthug

Who here thinks that Max Payne looks like Tom Cruise from Tropic Thunder?

Old 06-12-2010, 12:43 PM   #552
marioman360

More like Bruce Willis in Die Hard 4.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:58 AM   #553
Hudson

Um, no. Totally Tom Cruise from Tropic Thunder.
[INSERT SYSTEM SPECS THAT NO ONE CARES ABOUT HERE]
Old 06-13-2010, 02:02 PM   #554
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by K100 View Post
Not surprised at all. Kind of waiting for them to delay it.

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided