Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Other Apogee/3D Realms Games > Dopefish.com Forum
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 09-25-2006, 11:22 AM   #1
ibeam_tech

Exclamation GNU DopeFish
about (2 || 3) month ago i downloaded Novell SuSE Linux 10.1, it had a mario cloned game where TUX must save his girlfriend. anyway, in one of it's User Levels i saw dopefish in the texture of walls.
you guys please go and check it out and tell me if that was really dopefish because i uninstalled SuSE and installed MSWINVista and dont have hard disk space for reinstalling it

// DopeFish Rocks!
Old 09-25-2006, 12:54 PM   #2
Dreams

Re: GNU DopeFish
Old 10-01-2006, 11:07 AM   #3
NutWrench

Yes. That was Dopefish.

He's not GNU/Open source, though. He belongs to ID software. He can appear in cameos but he can't be used as an actual game character without ID's permission.
"If by chance some day you're not feeling well and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Old 10-01-2006, 11:18 AM   #4
ibeam_tech

Dopefish Re: GNU DopeFish
yes i know it isnt open source, i just wanted to be sure that is dopefish!
Old 10-01-2006, 01:06 PM   #5
Odin

You're talking about SuperTux, and it was indeed a dopefish tile.
Old 01-28-2007, 01:58 AM   #6
Fragger00
http://forums.3drealms.com/vb/showthread.php?t=15352
Old 01-30-2007, 09:48 AM   #7
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutWrench View Post
He's not GNU/Open source, though. He belongs to ID software. He can appear in cameos but he can't be used as an actual game character without ID's permission.
Just to clarify, we have written legal permission to use Dopefish as a cameo. Nobody else does, although I can't imagine they'd go after Tom Hall and John Romero over it.

Legally nobody else besides Apogee/3DR & id have permission to use the character, though.

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16
Old 02-06-2007, 05:51 AM   #8
Kalki

Um... Doomed Space Marine lawsuit?
"Gentlemen, generations to follow will see us as the first pioneers of the internet. They will look upon our days as those of brave spirits and free ideals - where men were men, women were men and children were the FBI."

Free Speech
Old 02-06-2007, 06:48 AM   #9
Kristian Joensen

Ehh, what are you talking about ?
Old 02-06-2007, 12:28 PM   #10
Kalki

http://forums.3drealms.com/vb/showthread.php?t=22185

Just wondering where the whole parody laws thing fits in here. How much weight does written legal permission really hold?
"Gentlemen, generations to follow will see us as the first pioneers of the internet. They will look upon our days as those of brave spirits and free ideals - where men were men, women were men and children were the FBI."

Free Speech
Old 02-06-2007, 01:13 PM   #11
Kristian Joensen

Well lets put it this way:

1)If you HAVE got a written permission then you CAN use the character within the terms of that agreement.
2)If you don't have such a permission you may or may not be able to use the character depending on the individual circumstances.

In the US system there is a thing called fair use some uses of the Dopefish may fall under that. But there is an other area of law that is interesting in the case of the Dopefish that is the matter of parodies and the like.

Such things are a matter of how the court system ways copyright law versus the 1st amendment right of free expression. I think it is likely that the many appearances of the Dopefish in many games mostly fall under that category.

Edit:

It is also important to note that the copyright of the actual dopefish art and the issue of the trademark on the character are two very different things, since trademark law and copyright are two very different bodies of law.
Last edited by Kristian Joensen; 02-06-2007 at 01:20 PM.
Old 02-18-2007, 12:58 AM   #12
Odin

It's the age-old question of "who gives a shit?"

It's not saying "hey we made this dopefish character we're so awesome", it's saying "hey look a dopefish". This issue would either, in the case of Doomed Space Marine, be thrown out of court, or in the case of the APOGEE cheat code in Jazz Jackrabbit, be totally taken out of context and the author would be curb stomped. It'll probably be the former because they're not charging for this game and really, who gives a shit?