Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Other Apogee/3D Realms Games
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 10-20-2014, 10:13 AM   #1
DirtyFexen
Earth No More
Last we heard of Earth No More was in 2012 when it appeared on the crowdfunding website Gambitious as a 3D Realms project coming soon to the site but nothing ever materialised. http://forums.duke4.net/topic/5565-3...earth-no-more/

What's happening with Earth No More?
Old 10-20-2014, 08:19 PM   #2
ScrewingUpMyRide

Re: Earth No More
I would love to see Earth No More happen, or, at the very least, see what 3DR and Recoil had in mind in a blog post or something.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:05 PM   #3
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

I honestly don't know if I want the game to happen or not.
Mostly because... we don't know a damn thing about it. How it would be, what it would be.

It basically never went anywhere.

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Old 10-20-2014, 09:47 PM   #4
ScrewingUpMyRide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_Azreal View Post
I honestly don't know if I want the game to happen or not.
Mostly because... we don't know a damn thing about it. How it would be, what it would be.

It basically never went anywhere.
It was in production for two years at Recoil (ex-Remedy developers). It was the main project Radar had in development since Human Head was busy working on Soma for Ubisoft.

Raphael Van Lierop (former 3DR creative director and Space Marine 40K head honcho) spent years on that project. They just couldn't find a publisher who didn't want to fund the game without buying the ip. Radar didn't want to give it up.

It's true not much was known about it, but back then Scott had great instincts. I would love to know more. They spent millions on it.

Quote:
We go on to hear from Samuli Syvähuoko, the founder of Recoil and one of the original founders of Remedy. He details a tale of woe about Recoil being created in 2007 as Finland’s next great triple-A developer, taking €4.5 million in investment and putting together a demo for Earth No More, a high-end, post-apocalyptic FPS. While the team was pitching, the world’s finances went pop.

“We’d already spent all of our money,” says Syvähuoko. “Nobody was looking for a new IP. Nobody was taking any risks.”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07BJjZFtSyU
Old 10-21-2014, 02:05 PM   #5
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Well, they're using Bombshell, and thats an old 3D Realms idea that stretches all the way back to before Duke Nukem 3D came out! So age of project doesn't mean a whole lot.

But I lost track of ENM myself.

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16
Old 11-07-2014, 02:36 AM   #6
Micky C

I'd also like to hear more about Earth No More.

The difference between Bombshell and Earth No More is that there are screenshots of work on ENM's development floating about, which means they must have done something with it at some point.
Bombshell on the other hand is an entirely new game for which development started recently. It merely uses an old idea, as opposed to being built off older development.
Old 11-07-2014, 03:17 AM   #7
Lunick Fiore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micky C View Post
I'd also like to hear more about Earth No More.

The difference between Bombshell and Earth No More is that there are screenshots of work on ENM's development floating about, which means they must have done something with it at some point.
Bombshell on the other hand is an entirely new game for which development started recently. It merely uses an old idea, as opposed to being built off older development.
It's not "that" recently though as it was Duke Nukem Mass Destruction.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:45 PM   #8
DirtyFexen

Samuli was the founder of Recoil Games who were developing Earth No More. Maybe something will happen with the game?
Old 11-16-2014, 03:43 PM   #9
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Interesting theory, but doesn't necessarily mean ENM. Could be something new, too.

Old 11-17-2014, 06:25 AM   #10
Lunick Fiore

New Earth No More
Old 11-17-2014, 01:26 PM   #11
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunick Fiore View Post
New Earth No More
Touche.

Old 11-18-2014, 09:47 PM   #12
DirtyFexen
At the 8 minutes 10 second mark : http://m.gameswelt.tv/3d-realms/skyp...chreiber,42810

Earth No More is not currently in production
Old 11-19-2014, 12:57 PM   #13
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

And that should be of a surprise to no one.

There is no valid reason, rumor, speculation... nothing to support or even point to Earth No More still being in development.

Also, ENM does raise a point on something in which I'm interested in. Radar Group.
Earth No More was handled by Radar ... with the recent acquisition of 3DR by SDN Invest, what does that do to Scott's "Radar Group"? If anything.

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Old 11-19-2014, 05:07 PM   #14
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Quote:

There is no valid reason, rumor, speculation... nothing to support or even point to Earth No More still being in development.
This.

Old 11-19-2014, 07:52 PM   #15
ScrewingUpMyRide

Quote:

Hmmm, 3D Realms were gearing up for a crowd-funding campaign on the Gambitious platform two years ago so it's not exactly an outrageous question given 3D Realms recent history.

Quote:
Wheels are turning behind-the-scenes, but for now there's not much to say,” - Scott Miller
Old 11-20-2014, 01:49 AM   #16
DirtyFexen
The work put into the production of the game and the development of the game itself when it ceased development it's not entirely outrageous to expect that they'd put it back into development eventually especially given some of the talented people that were behind it like Samuli Syvähuoko from Remedy.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:00 AM   #17
Rapture_Rising

Genuine question, is there any proof that this game even stated development? iirc all we have on ENM is a quick few seconds of video from someone's portfolio.

You cannot take the planned gambitious campaign as proof either, how many kickstarters have started with a few concept art pics and a in-engine mockup trailer (sometimes not even that)

I honestly cant say that i am saddened by all of this as it seems it never left the idea stage.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:39 AM   #18
DirtyFexen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture_Rising View Post
Genuine question, is there any proof that this game even stated development? iirc all we have on ENM is a quick few seconds of video from someone's portfolio.

You cannot take the planned gambitious campaign as proof either, how many kickstarters have started with a few concept art pics and a in-engine mockup trailer (sometimes not even that)

I honestly cant say that i am saddened by all of this as it seems it never left the idea stage.
The game was in development for two years. There is a bunch of stuff here including screenshots: http://forums.duke4.net/topic/5565-3...earth-no-more/

Old 11-22-2014, 12:54 PM   #19
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrewingUpMyRide View Post
Hmmm, 3D Realms were gearing up for a crowd-funding campaign on the Gambitious platform two years ago so it's not exactly an outrageous question given 3D Realms recent history.
I don't think you can hold the new 3D Realms to everything that was going on by the previous ownership like that.

I'm not saying it can't happen, but you shouldn't assume that every little bit of possible development news you find like that from a few years ago is still under active consideration.

Old 11-22-2014, 01:49 PM   #20
ScrewingUpMyRide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Siegler View Post
I don't think you can hold the new 3D Realms to everything that was going on by the previous ownership like that.
Good point.

I hope Earth No More manages to see the light of day at some point. Maybe a post-mortem down the line? That would make for an interesting read. Chris Plante did a 5-part breakdown of Recoil Games (RIP) which was fantastic. Sadly, the story is no longer live though I have a backup somewhere.

Their only released game was Rochard, a neat little platformer that had the bad luck of releasing right after the PSN breach in 2011.