Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Other Apogee/3D Realms Games > Shadow Warrior Source Code
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 05-31-2005, 12:50 PM   #241
Ecmaster76

Re: JFShadowWarrior is available
Everything seems to be working fine, thanks!

One note:
I have an Audigy 2. I have my main optical drive attached to it with the 2 pin CD-digital connector. The four pin cd-audio connector goes to my burner, but since I don't play music from it I mute that connection in the 'Surround Mixer' contol. Doing so removes a faint hiss I hear at higher volume levels.

However the CD music in the game did not work until I unmuted the cd-audio (the connector attached to a drive the cd was not in). The cd digital was unmuted the whole time. Using the play button on the front of the drive produces sound if cd-digital is enabled regardless of what the cd-audio is set to.

Therefore I believe it could be a quirk in the game. I don't consider this a bug, because it may just be weirdness from Creative's software/drivers. I am posting this mailny for people who have similar hardware to have a fix, rather than to complain.
Old 05-31-2005, 03:24 PM   #242
Another Duke Fan

Thank you so much JonoF!! It works brilliant!
Old 05-31-2005, 03:32 PM   #243
TerminX

Quote:
Ecmaster76 said:
Everything seems to be working fine, thanks!

One note:
I have an Audigy 2. I have my main optical drive attached to it with the 2 pin CD-digital connector. The four pin cd-audio connector goes to my burner, but since I don't play music from it I mute that connection in the 'Surround Mixer' contol. Doing so removes a faint hiss I hear at higher volume levels.

However the CD music in the game did not work until I unmuted the cd-audio (the connector attached to a drive the cd was not in). The cd digital was unmuted the whole time. Using the play button on the front of the drive produces sound if cd-digital is enabled regardless of what the cd-audio is set to.

Therefore I believe it could be a quirk in the game. I don't consider this a bug, because it may just be weirdness from Creative's software/drivers. I am posting this mailny for people who have similar hardware to have a fix, rather than to complain.
You do realize that computers haven't required those stupid wires from the drive to a sound card for more than half a decade, right? All of the CD audio playback is done digitally over the IDE cable.
Old 05-31-2005, 03:38 PM   #244
tpz

NOT by default in Windows 2000. Not sure about XP though.
Old 05-31-2005, 04:34 PM   #245
Ecmaster76

It works over the wires on my computer, at least for the built-in music-cd playing functions of the DVD-ROM. I guess software (like Windows Media) might use the IDE connection, but using the built in function doesn't use CPU/memory (I am pretty sure it doesn't, at least nothing significant).

Anyhow, the 'Surround Mixer' mutes the playing of the drive that actually connects using the specified connector, so the wires have to be doing something.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:03 AM   #246
MegaMustaine

Quote:
SamSwashbuckler said:
Quote:
Vivendi bought the rights to the RR series for.....300,000 dollars
HAHA 300k? What a waste :P The game/addons were great, but there's no future in the series!

That is for damn sure. I like the game, but it was full of the most gimmics of all of the build games, and was based mostly on shock value. Not to say that the game didn't have redeeming qualities, but I could see no real future for the series. I think if you looked at the sales, it would show that out of D3d, SW, RR, and Blood, RR would be the lowest by far.
Old 06-01-2005, 09:54 AM   #247
hitman71

Firstly, sky seems a bit odd in level 3. Don't recall seeing this error in other areas of the level.

Second, look 100% down and the bottom of the screen screws up. Kinda the same effect as the monitor in level 1.

Mouse aiming is loads smoother, great job, but is much faster on up and down movement than left and right movement.
I have had a crash to windows (xpsp2) on level 2, but can't really determine why, and it hasn't crashed again yet...

Last thing to say is great work. Game is totally playable now that saves are in, we can all enjoy a bit o' Lo Wang again.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:04 AM   #248
3D Master
The hall of mirror effect in the first level when operating the remote car with the key on it, is still in existence. I don't know if it's anyway possible to solve it?

I've hade 2 crashes today, both during the firing of heavy weapons, first time firing the grenade launcher in the first level, the second time when the black see-through ninja fired his super fire-pillars attack. I'm pretty certain it's a problem with the amount of sounds, and the type of sounds that's being played that caused the crash. Both times it were a lot of explosion sounds in a row.

Old 06-01-2005, 10:26 AM   #249
Parkar

Quote:
hitman71 said:
Firstly, sky seems a bit odd in level 3. Don't recall seeing this error in other areas of the level.

Second, look 100% down and the bottom of the screen screws up. Kinda the same effect as the monitor in level 1.

Mouse aiming is loads smoother, great job, but is much faster on up and down movement than left and right movement.
I have had a crash to windows (xpsp2) on level 2, but can't really determine why, and it hasn't crashed again yet...

Last thing to say is great work. Game is totally playable now that saves are in, we can all enjoy a bit o' Lo Wang again.
Both of those is known bugs since quiet some time in the duke port.

The sky is simply not meant to be seen any further up but the real perspective in polymost gives you this possibility. Just wait until someone makes true sky boxes and the problem is gone.

The hall of mirrors effect when looking to the extremes up and down has been there since the first version of polymost. Why it has not been fixed JonoF or Ken would have to answer but I asume its not just changing a clipping distance or some other easy thing. If you use the full HUD you can't see it.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:04 AM   #250
hitman71

well, small graphical glitches like these i can live with. Nice if they were fixed up, but no big deal really. I'm more concerned about crashes and mouse probs. Having saves make the crashes much easier to deal with, but the mouse prob impacts gameplay quite a bit. Duke doesn't seem plagued by this mouse prob so hopefully it can be fixed soon enough. Its still a superb port, and i always was a bigger fan of shadow over duke, so i'm thrilled i can play through again.

Playing Heavy Metal Deathmatch will just put the icing on it. One of my all time fave fragfest maps (in ANY game).
Old 06-01-2005, 12:19 PM   #251
Carger2000
Excellent work JonoF! Much appreciated
Old 06-01-2005, 01:30 PM   #252
hitman71

OK, so the mouse prob was due to using digital up and down viewing as a workaround in the first port release. Removing the digital settings and using the analogue turning and moving options fixes uneven mouse speeds while looking.

See... here
Old 06-06-2005, 01:21 PM   #253
Ecmaster76

Bug Report
I played the whole game with complete stability, until the last level...

Anyhow in order:

Save game codes:
code 00451D20
code 00448850
code 00448850
code 00448850
code 00448850
code 00448850
code 00448850

I don't know if thats just the error from the most recent saved game failure or includes the first one as well.

But the first save game failure I was in the $rock.map level (the one where you are in a cell). I had the smokebomb active in the starting sector and the game did not save. After the smoke bomb expired I was able to save successfully.

The other save game failure occured in the 'Stone Rain' level (the one where you fight Zilla). It happened at the very beggining while stuff was still exploding and the voiceover was still playing. I was able to save after the stuff stopped happening. The codes above are the contents of the 'savegame...' text after the Stone Rain failure.

Also the first time I played Stone Rain it crashed on me. The second time I save as described above and it crashed on me again after playing for a short bit. Which is twice in one level compared to none( ) in all the other levels. Maybe a coincidence. The third time it didn't crash.

I hope this helps

Edit: Also the automap is very erratic. It will not update itself as I move around. In fact it only updates when I save a game. Its kinda hard to describe. Say I am standing somewher and I can see a room. When I save, the room I can see is added to the map, but nowhere after that. If I save again, all the areas I have been through are added to what was there previously, so it builds on itself. But once again any areas visited after a save don't show up until I save again.

I am currently using the newest SW, but the Duke version previous to the most current one, so I don't know if the problem exists in the newest Duke. It doesn't in the version of Duke I am using though.

Of course I am refering to the sector outline map. I know that the textured version is still WIP.
Old 06-07-2005, 07:08 AM   #254
K T Ong

Re: Bug Report
Just to report what I believe is a bug:

At episode 1 level 1 (Seppuku Station), you need to manipulate a toy car to a certain place to get the silver key, which rests on top of the car. When I go to the screen which is supposed to show where the car is so you can see where you're manipulating it, the screen is a garbled mess. Anyone else got this problem too?
Old 06-07-2005, 07:32 AM   #255
Jokke_r

yes it's a commonly known problem, if you run the game in classic mode it'll work
Old 06-13-2005, 08:09 AM   #256
Papou008

Can you see voxel models?
I can see them in build, but not in the game.

There is a little bug on 3d models when thy are in a red light sectors, it uses different textures (download the evil ninja model to see it).

I don't know if it's possible to do that we could drive vehicle with strafe butons (and not only with turn right and left buttons that we can use with mouse).

Adding a mp3 or ogg reader could bee cool to play SW without audio CD.
Old 06-22-2005, 03:55 PM   #257
Ninja of Doom
Ahould I be able to paly the CD audio on a media player? I have the full version but i only get access to 5 midi tracks. Am I jsut not able to paly them out of the game or is somethign wrong with my disc?
Old 06-22-2005, 04:21 PM   #258
Ecmaster76

Make sure you are using the newest version of the port. It fixes the cd audio problem. Check your sw.cfg to make sure it has 'play cd = 1' in the last section.

Also try fooling around with the controls on your sound card. It helped for me.
Old 06-23-2005, 05:23 AM   #259
Ninja of Doom
Ah, I see. Thanks. It's working now.
Old 06-23-2005, 05:26 AM   #260
Blade Nightflame

Quote:
Papou008 said:
Can you see voxel models?
I can see them in build, but not in the game.

There is a little bug on 3d models when thy are in a red light sectors, it uses different textures (download the evil ninja model to see it).

I don't know if it's possible to do that we could drive vehicle with strafe butons (and not only with turn right and left buttons that we can use with mouse).

Adding a mp3 or ogg reader could bee cool to play SW without audio CD.
Voxels only work on 8bit Classic mode. Sorry.

Old 06-23-2005, 02:12 PM   #261
TerminX

Quote:
Blade Nightflame said:
Voxels only work on 8bit Classic mode.
Yes, that is currently correct.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:34 AM   #262
Kristian Joensen

What is that about to be changed ?
Old 06-24-2005, 09:08 AM   #263
Blade Nightflame

Quote:
Kristian Joensen said:
What is that about to be changed ?
Whenever you see a game get.. "OpenGL'd"... expect some models on the way.

Old 06-24-2005, 06:48 PM   #264
Kristian Joensen

Models and voxels aren't the same.
Old 06-25-2005, 05:05 AM   #265
Blade Nightflame

Quote:
Kristian Joensen said:
I know that, I know the diffrence. A lot.

Old 07-31-2005, 07:26 AM   #266
Old Sparky

Re: JFShadowWarrior is available (updated 20050531
Thanks, your version of SW work well on linux. The only problems that I found on source is:

- poor documentation (requirement; installation, compiling howto; a faq);
- sound doesn't work without a patch, and the patch doesn't resolve this bug completely.

Old 08-30-2005, 12:26 PM   #267
step2ice

Quote:
Kristian Joensen said:
I turned them on with 8 bpp but noticed no difference.
What exactly should be different with voxels?
Old 08-30-2005, 01:10 PM   #268
hitman71

voxels look like very low res models. they must be turned on in the game options "use voxels" and of course 8bpp must be set.

The highres pack includes 1 voxel replacement so far, the healthkit. "Use voxels" must be OFF to see this new model.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:59 PM   #269
Phayzon

They work in 32bpp with Swp 2.0
Old 08-30-2005, 03:23 PM   #270
hitman71

yep - you're right. I was in 32bit mode (ever since playing the port) and voxels were always shown. Then when i added the healthkit model i couldn't work out why i couldn't see it... Then i realised "use voxels" was turned on... DOH !!
Old 08-30-2005, 06:41 PM   #271
step2ice

Quote:
hitman71 said:
voxels look like very low res models. they must be turned on in the game options "use voxels" and of course 8bpp must be set.

Ok, so that means that every model in the game exists as sprite and voxel?

Besides, sprites already look pixelated why should anyone turn voxel on to make it even worse?
So far as I know voxel uses mainly CPU power which decreased the performance even further back in the old days. (Pentium 90 anyone )

So whats the point with voxel in the build engine?
Old 08-30-2005, 07:36 PM   #272
Little Conqueror

It actually looks decent with small objects. It only affected pickup items really (and gun barrels, which looked like CRAP as sprites)

"If you join the good fight, you get 72 domain names when you die." -- Wamplet
Old 08-30-2005, 10:22 PM   #273
JonoF

Quote:
yep - you're right. I was in 32bit mode (ever since playing the port) and voxels were always shown. Then when i added the healthkit model i couldn't work out why i couldn't see it... Then i realised "use voxels" was turned on... DOH !!
That's interesting. I could have sworn I had models taking priority to voxels in GL in SW, but maybe I'm mistaken. I'll check it out.

Edit: Well, turns out I hadn't considered that. If ProAsm releases an updated SWP soon you'll have the fix, otherwise when I get networking up and running in SW, it'll be in my release first.

Jonathon
Old 08-31-2005, 04:51 AM   #274
hitman71

When you say networking, do you mean Lan only ? Does your Duke port have internet play ?

(sorry, but i never really got that much into Duke apart from playing it thru when it was first out)
Old 08-31-2005, 11:21 AM   #275
8IronBob

Now, I dunno about this bug, but when I look through this monitor at the first level for the remote control car for the silver key, it comes up like a "Hall of Mirrors." This will make it real tough to drive that car, wouldn't you think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 937780-crouching.jpg (36.8 KB, 48 views)
Old 08-31-2005, 03:12 PM   #276
ProAsm

Yes we all know about that one, just switch to 8 bit to get past that one.
JF and Ken are working on it.
Old 08-31-2005, 03:54 PM   #277
TerminX

Quote:
8IronBob said:
Now, I dunno about this bug, but when I look through this monitor at the first level for the remote control car for the silver key, it comes up like a "Hall of Mirrors." This will make it real tough to drive that car, wouldn't you think?
Please don't report bugs that are specifically mentioned in the port's documentation. Thank you.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:10 AM   #278
Psykomanius

Quote:
ProAsm said:
Cool. Thanks for the little trick.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:01 PM   #279
Phayzon

Quote:
ProAsm said:
Damn... So thats how...
Old 09-26-2005, 11:17 PM   #280
Ras

Is there a way to choose which CD drive to use? I'm using the sw.exe TerminX linked in one of the Wanton Destruction threads. It looks like the value "CDDevice = -1" might be the one I want to change, but I'm not sure what to change it to to switch from my D: drive to my E: drive.

Also, is there a way to have the game NOT play a CD if one's in the drive? I tried turning off music in the setup program, but that must only apply to the shareware midi. I had a Bill Withers CD in and--while "Use Me" does make kick ass kickin' ass music--I'd like to not have to have it play during a game.