Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Other Apogee/3D Realms Games > Max Payne
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 11-23-2011, 08:57 AM   #121
dan2091

Re: Max Payne 3 delayed again?
Cool mousepad was excellent, and the Max Payne 2's folder-esque box was sexy, too. I'm not really fond of dvd retail boxes .

So, last time Rockstar brought a Special Edition, was when GTAIV came out, does anyone remember if they first said it was gonna have a limited run or something? Cause, they're still selling it up to this day.

And regarding the SE cover, the brasilian dude ruins it for me (and somehow the chick too), they're so random.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:02 AM   #122
Kit

The new gameplay footage looks ace.

I had my doubts at first but they seem to have turned it around.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:23 AM   #123
Cleric

Short interview with some new footage sprinkled in.
Konami Gamer ID:steak_and_cheese
Old 12-04-2011, 03:07 PM   #124
evilemperorzorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleric View Post
Short interview with some new footage sprinkled in.
That's nice. I trust Rockstar that they won't fail. The level with the pool table really looks like the old Max
Old 12-15-2011, 10:42 AM   #125
Cleric

I guess we all knew that multiplayer was unavoidable... at least it sounds interesting in theory. In theory. I'll probably ignore it, although it would be cool to see some insane shootouts with bodies flying everywhere
Old 12-26-2011, 12:50 PM   #126
Morbid

Graphics look really consolish...
Old 12-29-2011, 06:31 PM   #127
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Is that actually supposed to mean something? What does "consolish" look like?

Because seriously, it doesn't make any sense. Uncharted 2 and 3 look amazing. Batman: Arkham City... which was a console title ported to PC, looks fantastic.

Max Payne 3 looks fine. Looks like GTA, only more focused and more detailed.

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Old 01-15-2012, 11:29 AM   #128
dan2091

Btw, anyone buying the Special Edition? Supposedly, today's the last chance to pre-order it. Honestly, I don't know. I do have faith in MP3, but I hope the Special Edition will still be available later, and at a cheaper price. I love buying this things, but last time I bought a LE I was really disappointed (a game I was very excited about and bought on day 1 and it ended up sucking and now the SE is very cheap at Amazon... can you guess of what game am I talking about?).

Specials Edition of Bioshock 2, GTAIV (360 version) and other games get cheaper and still easy to find years after its release, but sometimes they are truly sold out. I'm not spending $100 I guess. :s
Old 01-15-2012, 11:37 PM   #129
Mariamus

The Max Payne figurine is making me itch to preorder it. But I have no money, and I still have little faith in MP3.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:35 AM   #130
Rapture_Rising

Max Payne 3 is delayed until May.

www.joystiq.com/2012/01/17/max-payne-3-delayed

Which sucks because i was going to pre order the special edition tomorrow, i suppose i could now but i will once it becomes closer to the release date.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:30 PM   #131
8IronBob

Hmm... Well, that would be after tax season, so that might be better with a release date like this. Sure, I can wait.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:41 AM   #132
Cleric

Targeting and Weapons

It just looks better and better the more I see of it. I'm loving the attention to detail - about 45 seconds into the video, look at the guy's chest after he's shot. Just two little holes punched into the material.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:09 AM   #133
dan2091

Less than an hour for Trailer #2. Hope that it rocks some shit.

---

OMG!

When Sao Paulo is... ashes, you have my permission to die.
Last edited by dan2091; 02-16-2012 at 11:19 AM.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:58 PM   #134
dan2091

Wow, seriously. D&T Video #3 was awesome. I'm very confident of this, more than ever.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:14 PM   #135
Cleric

Cinematics and visuals
Old 03-17-2012, 08:50 AM   #136
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

I can easily say... I absolutely hate how they are doing the "graphic novel" scenes. Hate it.

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Old 03-17-2012, 05:02 PM   #137
dan2091

Yep. That's the only thing that is not convincing me. To me, MP and MP2 graphic novels were one of the best things a videogame could ever have, they had such an air of mistery and tragedy... i don't know about this one.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:26 PM   #138
Cleric

Bullet time video

Best one so far. The goon getting lit up at 2:20 is classic.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:30 PM   #139
Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_Azreal View Post
I can easily say... I absolutely hate how they are doing the "graphic novel" scenes. Hate it.
Yeah, have to agree. I was hoping they'd go for the sketchy comic strip look of the first two.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:32 PM   #140
Rapture_Rising

PC specs for anyone getting it for PC

Operating System: Windows 7 32/64 Service Pack 1, Windows Vista 32/64 Service Pack 2, Windows XP 32/64 Service Pack 3
Processor: Intel Dual Core 2.4 GHZ - i7 3930K 6 Core x 3.06 GHZ / AMD Dual Core 2.6 GHZ - FX8150 8 Core x 3.6 GHZ
RAM: 2GB - 16GB
Video Card: NVIDIA 8600 GT 512MB VRAM – NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB VRAM / Radeon HD 3400 512MB VRAM - Radeon HD 7970 3GB VRAM
Sound Card: 100% Direct X 9.0 compatible – Direct X 9.0 compatible supporting Dolby Digital Live
HDD Space: 35 GB
Old 04-30-2012, 09:01 AM   #141
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

What I'm trying to understand is the '35 GB' hard drive space required. That just doesn't make any sense to me.
The rest of the requirements also look off.
The minimum specs looks fine, gives the players a good idea of the bottom line of what's needed to play the game.

But the top end... it just looks like they picked the absolute top end hardware and listed it. That doesn't provide any solid information.
Any game could run on hardware like that. The recommended requirements need to specify what is needed to run the game, not list super, mega, badass PC that could run anything.

I mean, how do you go from a 8600 to a 680? There's a ton of generations of cards in that gap.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:14 AM   #142
Cleric

I've heard that the 35Gb of space is for some ultra high resolution texture pack.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:49 AM   #143
Kit

That would be nice, but from what I've seen in the previews it looks really nice as is.

Has GFWL or Rockstar Social club been mentioned?
Old 05-05-2012, 07:21 PM   #144
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

The STEAM version of the game will use STEAMworks for some functions. But will also use Rockstar Social Club as well.

Old 05-06-2012, 03:53 AM   #145
Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_Azreal View Post
The STEAM version of the game will use STEAMworks for some functions. But will also use Rockstar Social Club as well.
You'd think they'd have learnt from GTA 4 that having multiple accounts to play one game is going to put people off.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:54 AM   #146
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

That's like saying Ubisoft learned people don't want their "always online" DRM service. Very few publishers actually "learn" anything.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:19 AM   #147
Cleric

Launch trailer
Old 05-14-2012, 11:22 AM   #148
Kalki

IGN's Review
"Gentlemen, generations to follow will see us as the first pioneers of the internet. They will look upon our days as those of brave spirits and free ideals - where men were men, women were men and children were the FBI."

Free Speech
Old 05-15-2012, 11:26 PM   #149
Dunedain

It's sad that Remedy wasn't allowed to make the game. In fact, we probably could have had two more Max Payne games by now if they would have just been allowed to keep going after Max Payne II. And the style, atmosphere, story and feel of the game would have been true to Max Payne. Well, maybe after this Remedy will get to make the next game
Old 05-16-2012, 08:10 AM   #150
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

It's not that Remedy weren't allowed to make, they decided not to make another one. They wanted to work on something new, and by that... Alan Wake.
But even after MP3 comes out, I wouldn't expect Remedy to jump on MP4. They are still invested with Alan Wake and who knows what else they could want to try in the future.

Some people from Remedy have said they felt the story was pretty complete with the ending of Max Payne 2.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:30 PM   #151
Dunedain

Hmm, I seem to recall they were willing to work on the next one, but rockstar declined. Seems pretty stupid to buy the rights to the game, then release no sequel for 8 years...

In any case, no one else will make a Max Payne game like Remedy will, they have that unique style and atmosphere to the game and story, and hopefully they will make the next one. The Alan Wake sequel can wait.

By the way, anyone know a site that has this screen shot available in higher res than 1280x720 (preferably with small logo like this or no logo, and no 3d effect applied like rockstar seems to have done to all the wallpapers on their site, grr...)?

Last edited by Dunedain; 05-16-2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:30 AM   #152
marioman360

Old 05-28-2012, 08:40 PM   #153
Rapture_Rising

Geeze, the wait for the PC version is killing me, i dont know why there is a 2 week wait for the PC version considering that the guy i was talking to where i pre ordered my copy said that the PC version of the game came in with the normal console version, maybe they were waiting on the special editions to come in.

My local EB Games normally breaks street date on these games, but going two weeks before release they run the risk of hefty fines and publishers not working with them anymore, although my local Game store was selling copies of Ocarina of Time 3DS 3 weeks before release date.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:47 PM   #154
Rapture_Rising

God i want to smack my head against a wall, because my local EB Games where i had pre ordered the special edition, has delayed the release until June 5th because of a "distrabution" error with their online store, so because i some schmo screwed up the online store i now have to wait 5 days for it to be released in stores.

The funny thing is that the Steam version unlocks on the 1st so its going to lead to some cancelled pre orders, why wait until the 5th when i can buy it tomorrow?
Old 06-02-2012, 07:32 AM   #155
FullMetalJacket
Picked up a retail copy for PC yesterday. Fantastic game; great atmosphere, soundtrack, action, and story. Graphics look great and are extremely customizable. This isn't your usual half-assed console port.

"My father would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy; the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament."
Old 06-02-2012, 08:26 AM   #156
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Gunplay is good, visuals are good... and performance is good.
Story, so far is hard to judge. But the dialog is hit and miss, some of Max's lines don't sound right coming from him.

Old 06-02-2012, 01:28 PM   #157
Cleric

Max definitely sounds more, I don't know, cynical? Indecisive? If anything, the story is more of a device to allow Max to reflect, to critique himself as an individual. The events in the story become pretty predictable and take a back seat to Max digging into himself and searching for what he is and what he can still become, whether or not he can find peace for himself. That's what kept me interested.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:50 PM   #158
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

I finished it tonight. Took me a little over ten hours.

Honestly, it was a really good game. Even a really good Max Payne game.
It did lack the "flare" or style Sam Lake was able to intersect with his unique writing and dialog, it does a decent job of making use of Max's character. Despite a few lines and internal monologue bits that just sounded dumb... it really works. There are even a couple bits where it clicks perfectly as something Max would say/think.
Despite this the dialog and writing never really nails that noirish feel of the first two games.

The story itself is pretty good. This is an area I was rather surprised with. Despite the popular opinion I've always found Rockstar's story telling to be very subpar and unimpressive.
And while the story here isn't exactly new, it's told in a very solid and enthralling manor. It did at times remind me a lot of "Man on Fire" and even "Die Hard"... and overall, I felt it actually got better the further you dived into it. Even if it was treading familiar ground.

Visually, the game is great. Look fantastic, and it doesn't have the "clay-like" faces that filled GTA4. The characters are extremely detailed and very well animated.
And, the game runs very well. I've got it almost completely maxed out and it runs silky smooth, never had any performance drops or problems.
Which, was another surprise. Rockstar has never really been known for solid PC releases. Even GTA3 had it's share of problems at release. And after the fumbled pile that was GTA4's PC release, and the poor quality port of LA Noire... there was cause to be concerned about Max Payne 3's PC treatment. But, thankfully, those concerns are not fulfilled.

My only real complaints would be... well, firstly, checkpoints. I'm not against them. But, with I couldn't imagine playing the first Max Payne with checkpoints. And, for the most part the checkpoints seem okay... but there are times when they make you retread a bit too much ground.
Specially with Max being a bit more fragile this time around, it's very easy to be dropped in only a few bullets. And painkillers are in much shorter supply. There will be a few times were you get caught in a bit of a loop.
Running into a room and being caught with only a couple painkillers, low on ammo... and caught in a way that can make it annoying to have to redo it to find the proper way to approach it.
Also... mouse acceleration... so, that's all I should have to say there.

Also, as a personal "irk"... the lack of graphic novel scenes. I kind of "get" what they were going for with the cut-scenes this time. But, the visual effects used in them can get annoying as it's way overdone, and the complete lack of the graphic novel scenes that made Max Payne stand out is just annoying.

So, besides a few personal gripes... and my missing Sam Lake's snarky dialog and writing style, Max Payne 3 is a really good game. And a pretty good entry in the series.

Old 06-04-2012, 04:27 PM   #159
8IronBob

I'm looking into getting the game at some point. Maybe I'll do so when Steam starts holding sales on it. I just need to find out what I did with the first two games and reinstall them and actually FINISH them this time, then I'll no doubt be ready for the third.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:57 PM   #160
Rapture_Rising

The saga continues, So i went to pick up my PC SE Max Payne 3, got home, unboxed it and discovered that the manual hasn't got an activation code, just an empty white box.

Called up T2 Software tech support line, they said they dont deal with those sorts of things and suggested for me to either contact Rockstar Games support or take it back to the retailer. I took it back to the retailer and they swapped the manuals for some that has got a code on it.