Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Other Apogee/3D Realms Games > Max Payne
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 12-17-2010, 05:10 PM   #1
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Max Payne 3 delayed again?
http://www.computerandvideogames.com....php?id=280887

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16
Old 12-18-2010, 07:08 AM   #2
Mariamus

Re: Max Payne 3 delayed again?
Haha, they can't even botch up a game on schedule!
Old 12-18-2010, 10:59 AM   #3
Nacho

Maybe they're giving it a total overhaul?
Old 12-18-2010, 11:12 AM   #4
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho View Post
One can only hope. A complete revamp is about the only thing that would get my interest in this one up.

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Old 12-19-2010, 11:56 PM   #5
nebiatsu
Hear hear.
I was thinking the same thing.
Major overhaul.
Can only be a good thing though, no matter what is delaying it.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:22 AM   #6
Rapture_Rising

Quote:
i hope so... i dont want to play as a fat bald guy.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:17 PM   #7
Nacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture_Rising View Post
i hope so... i dont want to play as a fat bald guy.
Exactly. I can see how Max would let himself go after everything he went through but that was too much, in my opinion.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:02 PM   #8
robotman5

hope it gets released.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:36 PM   #9
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Quote:
Exactly. I can see how Max would let himself go after everything he went through but that was too much, in my opinion.
I'm just... this game shouldn't happen at all.
At the end of Max Payne 2 Max had brought everything full circle. He was at peace, he was finally okay with the death of his wife...

Bringing him back now seems almost insulting in a way.

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Old 12-22-2010, 02:42 PM   #10
Mariamus

Goofy Re: Max Payne 3 delayed again?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_Azreal View Post
Bringing him back now seems almost insulting in a way.
I just want a game with more Vinnie!
Old 12-22-2010, 04:19 PM   #11
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Poor, poor Vinnie.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:06 PM   #12
ryche

Maybe they'll ditch the title and char of Max Payne (3) for that game and call it Fat Dude Down South.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:50 PM   #13
YicklePigeon

To me, this isn't and will never be Max Payne 3. Sure those new to the series will pick it up, maybe even like it, but give them the first two to play and the first thing that will be uttered is "this isn't Max Payne!" (them having played Max Payne 3 first once its eventually released).

I still have the thought to order a book from Amazon about detective film noir and send it to Rockstar with the following note attached: "HINT!". Just an idea.

Regards,

Yickle!
Old 01-12-2011, 10:13 PM   #14
Oveneise

Yeah, I was pretty pissed and heartbroken when I saw that Max Payne 3 looked like a trashy GTA than it did a film noir game. Honestly, I don't care if it ever gets released. In the state that its in right now, its an affront to the Max Payne name.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:48 PM   #15
fast-1

Vinnie was in 1 and 2.

Don't click if you not played Max Payne 2.
Spoiler:

Last edited by fast-1; 01-14-2011 at 08:51 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:39 AM   #16
Altered Reality

I really hope it's getting remade because 2K realized people want Max Payne, not a fat bald hobo.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:08 AM   #17
dan2091

Now that Remedy is done with Alan Wake, T2 should aproach Remedy and ask nicely to develope Max Payne 3. I believe, they might be secretly working on AW 2, though.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:26 PM   #18
nebiatsu
New info:

http://www.shacknews.com/laryn.x?story=67444

MP3 may not make it in the 2012 fiscal year !
:O

Hope they are totally re-doing it, in real MP style, and not hanging it out to dry.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:10 PM   #19
Dunedain

Remedy should be making this game, they created and wrote everything from the beginning of Max Payne, no on else knows it like them, no one else will do it right.

The story should happen shortly after the events of Max Payne II, while Max is still young, and it should definitely take place in the irreplaceable New York City in that unique gritty Max Payne noir style graphic novel story telling method, which is so great.

And also they should make sure the same people from the first 2 games do all the voices for any character that also appears in Max Payne III, and I hope there are several.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:03 PM   #20
Darkman 4
I'm hoping they completely remake the game as well. It looks more like a generic TPS based on the Brazil levels from Modern Warfare 2 than a real Max Payne game.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:12 AM   #21
K100

Old 03-31-2011, 02:10 PM   #22
dan2091

could the guy from the 2nd screenshot actually be Max in a flasback? Also, when I saw Max's with the hawaiian t-shirt I was like: "yeah! like in the very first game".

But still, be ashamed of your baldness, Payne, dam*it!
Old 04-01-2011, 01:09 PM   #23
Mariamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldozer View Post
I enjoyed playing the GTAs of the era more than the Max Payne games but thats just my opinion.
GTFO!
Old 04-03-2011, 12:03 PM   #24
marioman360

More Max.
1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8
Old 04-03-2011, 08:50 PM   #25
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

I still consider this a slap in the face to the ending of Max Payne 2.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:46 AM   #26
dan2091

Quote:
Originally Posted by marioman360 View Post
More Max.
1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8
How Awesome is that!!! Not only is James McCaffrey returning to do the voice acting, but is also modeling for Max Payne himself. Great!

marioman, I had trouble entering through the links provided so I'd relink the scans http://gamingeverything.com/?p=2964.

Gotta say, in the third scan, Max/James looks a lot like Charlie Sheen. :s
Old 04-04-2011, 06:08 AM   #27
Piano Man
Is there a 9th page to this??? The text on the 8th page seems to finish mid-sentence...

Old 04-04-2011, 10:26 AM   #28
MegaMustaine

Quote:
I still consider this a slap in the face to the ending of Max Payne 2.
How can you say this and seem to be really positive about Prey 2? Max Payne 3 is taking the mechanics and formula of Max Payne and moving it to a different setting. It looks to be Max Payne set in Brazil. Prey 2 seems to have nothing in common with Prey. Prey 2 doesn't share any of the mechanics from the original Prey and even drops the main character yet you have a much more positive outlook for the game when compared to MP3. Why?
Old 04-04-2011, 12:20 PM   #29
nebiatsu
OMG.
So, they changed the experience of 'bullet time whenever YOU need it' to 'bullet time QT events'.
Wow.
What a step in the 'right' direction!
And you can carry 3 guns at once?!
Wow, how generous!

Freakin console game now.
Last edited by nebiatsu; 04-04-2011 at 12:33 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:29 PM   #30
ZuljinRaynor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaMustaine View Post
How can you say this and seem to be really positive about Prey 2? Max Payne 3 is taking the mechanics and formula of Max Payne and moving it to a different setting. It looks to be Max Payne set in Brazil. Prey 2 seems to have nothing in common with Prey. Prey 2 doesn't share any of the mechanics from the original Prey and even drops the main character yet you have a much more positive outlook for the game when compared to MP3. Why?
Cause Rockstar sucks?
Old 04-04-2011, 08:33 PM   #31
Duke's New Chainsaw

Quote:
While they're not using the character from Prey, they are also not raping him.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:39 PM   #32
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Quote:
Well, I do agree with Zulie... Rockstar sucks.
But, continuing Max's story after him being at peace at the end of the second game.... making him an alcoholic and painkiller addict... it's a kick in the nuts to the ending of the second game.

Also, PREY 2 is being made by Human Head... the same guys that made the first game.
Max Payne 3 is being made by the studio that ported the first two games to the consoles. That poorly ported them to the consoles.
So... lets see... Remedy not developing... 3DRealms not producing.... Sam Lake not writing the story, yeah... fail.
So, it's easier to be excited about PREY 2 because the universe is so open and huge and has a ton of possibilities. Max Payne is pretty set, changing that so drastically as they've done (regen health, a cover system, three weapon limit, Max is no longer a cop, left NYC for Brazil... large portions of the game take place in the day...)... it's extremely difficult to swallow just because Rockstar say it's awesome.

Specially since they hold zero credit with me.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:23 AM   #33
dan2091

Also, R* Toronto is involved, the guys that ported GTA IV to the PC.

By the way, DA, I thought I read there was no ren health, maybe I'm wrong.

-----

Up to now, the game sounds good to me. I still hate them for having Max's head shaved (hate that trend) and for not waiting Remedy to do the third one, it sure would have been different.

But by the comments of the enviroments and the attention to the detail, it sounds good. Also, this picture gives me hope that they'll give us an explanation to Max's situation. Probably he's an alcoholic not because of his wife or Mona, but maybe because of some problems he had afterwards, who knows??? I don't .
Last edited by dan2091; 04-05-2011 at 09:32 AM.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:39 AM   #34
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

The last article I read didn't touch on health. But, the original announcement did say the game would use regen health.
As for the picture you list, the game will go from past to present constantly throughout the campaign. Detailing Max's life over the past eight years....
Which, I think it a horrible move. There's no need or reason to jump around chronologically. And given Rockstar's "story telling" skills.... I'm not sure they can even pull it off.

As for Remedy, latest rumors have them gearing up for Alan Wake 2. God I hope it's true...

Old 04-06-2011, 02:07 AM   #35
dan2091

Okay.. I haven't played RDR by the way, and still support Rockstar vision of the series. People's problem should not be based on putting this game in contrast with some other Rockstar Game. It should be because of the changes to the formula Rockstar has proposed. But hey! As mean as this changes are, people shouldn't rule out the game!

Jumping from back to present repeatedly, mm? Abrupt time-switching? That doesn't sound good to me, unless they're fooking masters at story-telling and know what they're doing. And I hope they know what they're doing, because besides that quote from the article, it sounds this could be the best thing to apply at a non-linear story when you want to focus on character development.

Sure, Max Payne and Max Payne 2 used this but only at the beginning of each game. So you're like wtf, what is that guy doing in the top of the building, only way to find out? Play through 8 hours to the end, and then you're like uhhh, alright I got it.

So, what's wrong with using this technique the way Rockstar claims they're doing it? This sounds more attractive than a linear-written game. Seriously, starting as a full-haired Max Payne, chronologically continuing it's story: there's no mistery in that! Non-linear? Show me some twisted twist, f*ck yeah! Revealing an aspect of the character from flashbacks that will make people switch their perception of the protragonits... and there you got the Noir everyone thing that is missing. There are many ways to achieve freaking Noooiiiir... And judging by the elapsing time of the story, which might or might not be 8 years, this could be a more elegant way to show it off.

As for this being a slap to the character.. Say, for example, a random guy is happy with his wife after having trouble marrying her, but now he comfronts job/marital/health problems? It's the same with Max: his psychological problem may not be because of his lost ones, but because of something else. The Comedian in Watchmen was depressed because of the secret he found out. Seeing how Max has used conspiracy as a theme in previous games, there's chance he's crazy nuts because of something he knows but tries to forget? Are we getting way too far from what the original Max Payne character is? Not much, the way I see it. The setting and secondary characters may be differents but they surround Max, Max himself doesn't need to be different. At least not from what's been seen so far. This could complement Max's character arc, nevertheless.

Max 1/2 story-arc may be over, but putting the character in a different situation has nothing wrong with it. Well, at least if he doesn't have that many drastical changes (some looses a hand, or a leg; but oh Rockstar, why did Max had to loose his hair?)

There are many ways to live up this title but at the same time there are many to make it fail as well. In a world where being negative is the most common thing to do, I prefer to hope this game will be enjoyable at best, and have a descent story.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:22 AM   #36
ZuljinRaynor

Red Dead Redemption is overrated.

It's the boring GTA4 formula in the Wild West. That keeps it interesting for a few hours, and then, back the the same snoozefest that GTA4 was.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:13 PM   #37
JobivanHiob

RDR overrated?! Its ******* awesome! And yes its GTA in the wild west! But that's what I wanted! It's beautiful!
Old 04-06-2011, 04:20 PM   #38
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldozer View Post
You didnt play Red Dead Redemption, did you?
No, I haven't. And I find it extremely difficult to get myself interested in playing it considering how lackluster R*'s previous titles have been.

And going by people telling me it's awesome... that's what got me to buy GTA4. Which ended in boring tedium and disappointment.
I'll be damned if I'm making that same mistake again.

BUT... how about that Max Payne....

Old 04-06-2011, 07:56 PM   #39
ZuljinRaynor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JobivanHiob View Post
RDR overrated?! Its ******* awesome!
Still is overrated.

Glad I bought it used. I hate buying used, but I hate giving Rockstar my money.

GTA4's formula is boring. Because you can jump around missions, it also makes the pacing bleh. If it was Mafia's story progression, I may have enjoyed it more. However, it was just GTA4 in the washed out west. I played it on PS3.

Quote:
And going by people telling me it's awesome... that's what got me to buy GTA4. Which ended in boring tedium and disappointment.
I'll be damned if I'm making that same mistake again.
Happened to me too, except I made the mistake twice.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:53 PM   #40
Kit

The new ‘flash back moments’ look like they’ve been shoehorned in to appease fans who weren’t happy with the look.

Kind of feel the same about this as I do about Prey 2, it may turn out to be an ok action game, but CHANGE THE TITLE!

You don’t need to drag a good series name through the dirt to promote your game. I don’t remember Bioshock calling itself System Shock 3 to gain extra exposure.

You know this is the decision of some twat marketing guy who has never played a game in his life.