Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Other Apogee/3D Realms Games
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 08-05-2005, 05:24 PM   #1
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

A piece of ROTT history
Was looking through some pictures today and found this. Can't remember if I've put it online before or not. I'm sure someone will tell me.

It was taken on January 22, 1994.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 917932-kristrecord2.jpg (88.3 KB, 369 views)

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16
Old 08-05-2005, 05:34 PM   #2
laffer

Re: A piece of ROTT history
The makings of a high budget game

Hehe, but you do look menacing though
Old 08-05-2005, 05:35 PM   #3

Now that is cool! I always loved how ROTT used real images and people in game because the level of detail was greater than other games of its era.
Old 08-05-2005, 06:04 PM   #4
laffer

Ye, the graphics were kinda cool, but I think they should've been more varied. I felt they used the same enemies too much, with one or two extra introduced in each episode.
But still, it's a very fun game. They did a lot with the levels considering the 90 degree walls thing.
And also, I love the feel of the game.. it's not taking itself serious at all
Old 08-05-2005, 08:33 PM   #5
Nacho

I still find ROTT better looking then the early tru 3D games. (Quake, Half Life, etc.)
Old 08-05-2005, 08:41 PM   #6
laffer

They look a lot better in screenshots at least.
And I've always thought that Duke 3D looks a lot better than Quake. It's much more colorful and nice, and the enemies in Quake are horribly chunky.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:03 PM   #7

Quote:
laffer said:
They look a lot better in screenshots at least.
And I've always thought that Duke 3D looks a lot better than Quake. It's much more colorful and nice, and the enemies in Quake are horribly chunky.
That era of 3d was one I can't understand. I know it was needed to progress into full 3d but its hard for me to understand how anyone can see the graphics in quake 1 as superior to older FPS that were sprite based.

I remember laughing at how ugly the virtua games were..
Old 08-05-2005, 10:00 PM   #8
jbailey

Great pic Joe! You guys must have had a lot of fun when
you were making rott!

http://www.riseofthetriad.dk/DL_GlROTT.htm

jbailey
Old 08-05-2005, 10:08 PM   #9
Dr.Dude

Heh, that's awesome.

I've always wanted to see one of the original photos of any of the 3dr-ROTT bosses. Those were easily some of the best FPS bosses ever.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:46 PM   #10
Towelie2k4

Classic. I love how you're holding a couple of staplers.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:49 PM   #11
laffer

I'm pretty sure making that game must've been at least as fun as is to play it
I hope they keep that tradition, it really shines though that they love making games.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:49 PM   #12
pjohnsonjr

That's awesome! I think I've seen a few other pictures, one being Tom Hall and the other picture being William. I like these pictures from scenes and stuff from older games, kinda cool to look back on that time. Romero has a few from the early days of id and through the Doom years, including the chainsaw Tom borrowed and never gave back .

Would you happen to have more from ROTT Joe?
Old 08-05-2005, 10:56 PM   #13
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Quote:
pjohnsonjr said:
That's awesome! I think I've seen a few other pictures, one being Tom Hall and the other picture being William. I like these pictures from scenes and stuff from older games, kinda cool to look back on that time. Romero has a few from the early days of id and through the Doom years, including the chainsaw Tom borrowed and never gave back .

Would you happen to have more from ROTT Joe?
I have all the videotapes of all the characters (including the ones that weren't used) being digitized. IT's about 15 VHS tapes full of footage. One day about 3 years ago I looked through all of them (in hi speed scan, mind you). I found all the recordsing except for one character. Me.

Old 08-05-2005, 10:58 PM   #14
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Quote:
Towelie2k4 said:
There were seveal shots made where I had to bend the staplers down, as if I was moing the chair's "control arms" to steer the thign.

Once I stapled myself - we neglected to empty the actual staples from the staplers.

Old 08-05-2005, 10:58 PM   #15
laffer

That's just typical. Any chance you'll reprise your role as a boss in any game? Perhaps an easter egg or something. That'd be cool.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:02 PM   #16
pjohnsonjr

Quote:
Joe3DR said:
Quote:
Towelie2k4 said:
There were seveal shots made where I had to bend the staplers down, as if I was moing the chair's "control arms" to steer the thign.

Once I stapled myself - we neglected to empty the actual staples from the staplers.
Should of had that as a secret weapon, the staple shot .

For the video tapes. That had to of been cool, was someone taking footage of you when you were in character?
Old 08-06-2005, 12:53 AM   #17
Ras

I remember a waitress from the old May China did a voice for the game. Was she digitized as well?
Old 08-06-2005, 10:40 AM   #18
Ryanthelurkster

Quote:
laffer said:
That's just typical. Any chance you'll reprise your role as a boss in any game? Perhaps an easter egg or something. That'd be cool.
Maybe he's the Boss of DNF

Go here for the greatest TC ever made!!! http://www.premiumtc.de.vu/
Old 08-06-2005, 08:25 PM   #19
Nacho

Quote:
Joe3DR* said:videotapes of all the characters (including the ones that weren't used) being digitized. IT's about 15 VHS tapes full of footage. One day about 3 years ago I looked through all of them (in hi speed scan, mind you). I found all the recordsing except for one character. Me.
Joe, you should convert them onto DVD for safety reasons and maybe convince George to release them. Pointless to most people but it would be great for some people who are interested to see how it was done.
Old 08-06-2005, 08:43 PM   #20
Ryanthelurkster

that would be cool!

Go here for the greatest TC ever made!!! http://www.premiumtc.de.vu/
Old 08-07-2005, 02:58 AM   #21
Towelie2k4

The vids would make a very nice extra on the DNF Collectors Edition, if there's going to be one. I'd definitely spend the extra money on it. Hell, if this footage was on a DVD by itself I'd buy it!
Old 08-07-2005, 07:51 AM   #22
Viciarg

Quote:
Joe3DR said:
Was looking through some pictures today and found this.
I'll give it two or three days until it has it's own thread on the Meddling Kids
Old 08-07-2005, 03:11 PM   #23
Frenkel

I came across this site and it says Rise and Tide is a working title for Rise of the Triad.
Old 08-07-2005, 04:50 PM   #24
Cerberus_e

Quote:
Joe3DR said:
Was looking through some pictures today and found this. Can't remember if I've put it online before or not. I'm sure someone will tell me.
I've seen this in the joe siegler looks funny thread, in the archives
Old 08-07-2005, 05:01 PM   #25

Quote:
Frenkel said:
I came across this site and it says Rise and Tide is a working title for Rise of the Triad.
Wasn't it also supposed to have been wolfenstein 2? Or at least the engine? I remember something about that reading the apogee faq.
Old 08-07-2005, 08:10 PM   #26
Nacho

Yes it was supposed to be a Wolfenstein 2.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:08 PM   #27
shiranui

Quote:
Joe3DR said:

It was taken on January 22, 1994.
Damn, that brings back memories!

<font color="red"> B'loooooooooooooooood! </font>
Old 08-09-2005, 10:06 AM   #28
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Quote:
For the video tapes. That had to of been cool, was someone taking footage of you when you were in character?
Well, when all of us were digitized like that, it wasn't the same time we recorded our lines, it wasn't like it was "in character" in the classic sense of the word.

Getting us in the game was a two part procedure. We were all digitized in the same spot on the same day - was one long day. The voices were recorded seperately (can't remember when in relation to the video digitizing now, though).

I can't remember why we videotaped this, I don't think these tapes were the source of the input into the game, although I could be wrong on that. I'll have to ask someone.

Quote:
Ras said:
I remember a waitress from the old May China did a voice for the game. Was she digitized as well?
No.

Quote:
Towelie2k4 said:
The vids would make a very nice extra on the DNF Collectors Edition, if there's going to be one. I'd definitely spend the extra money on it. Hell, if this footage was on a DVD by itself I'd buy it!
It's honestly not that interesting. REALLY. You watch one, and then that's it. It's really boring shit. Just people standing there with their arms out in a various collection of poses. After a few minutes it gets really REALLY REALLY boring to watch.

It might seem fascinating, and you think you'd want to watch all of it, but after watching a few minutes, it gets old. It's kind of interesting to see when each new person steps up, but after that, you won't want to watch it.

Plus there's about 15 video tapes, each with about 2 hours of recording on it. A assload of material, that's for sure.

Quote:
Frenkel said:
For someone that knows so much of our history, I'm surprised you were suckered in by that.

Rise & Tide is the name of one of the levels in the game. We used that, because in a game preview before the release, one reviewer called it "Rise & Tide" as a mistake. We thought it was so amusing, we immortalized it as a level name.

This is in the FAQ, I believe.

Last edited by Joe Siegler; 08-15-2006 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Post Merge
Old 08-09-2005, 10:32 AM   #29
Frenkel

I knew about the level named Rise and Tide, but I didn't know about title mistake. I searched for "Rise and Tide" not for "Rise & Tide". I searched again now and I found this:
Quote:
As a piece of historical note, the level "Rise & Tide" was actually named after a magazine review of Rise of the Triad at the time that mistakenly referred to the game as "Rise & Tide".
It's not in the Rise of the Triad FAQ .
Old 08-09-2005, 10:46 AM   #30
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

I was referring to the Apogee FAQ. When I say just "the FAQ", that's the one I mean.

Old 08-09-2005, 08:33 PM   #31
pjohnsonjr

Yeah I could just see how those videotapes played out by the end...

Joe falls asleep on the throne and one of the stapler's comes down and abruptly wakes him up after a pain shoots through his hand, at which time Joe starts cursing the idea of leaving staples in the staplers.

Tom is passed out somewhere sprawled out on a table, talking in his sleep about potential game design ideas.

William fainting off in a chair by a door wearing his costume getup, looking like a security guard nodding off on the job.

this is just my theory...
Old 08-23-2005, 08:44 AM   #32
ZuljinRaynor

Quote:
Joe3DR said:
Quote:
Towelie2k4 said:
It's honestly not that interesting. REALLY. You watch one, and then that's it. It's really boring shit. Just people standing there with their arms out in a various collection of poses. After a few minutes it gets really REALLY REALLY boring to watch.

It might seem fascinating, and you think you'd want to watch all of it, but after watching a few minutes, it gets old. It's kind of interesting to see when each new person steps up, but after that, you won't want to watch it.

Plus there's about 15 video tapes, each with about 2 hours of recording on it. A assload of material, that's for sure.
The making of RotT. Some people would want it. I mean, if that's boring, then the Spiderman 2 Bloopers (on the DVD) are gold.
I personally would like to see it, even if it is boring. I always thought ROTT looked better than Doom.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:22 AM   #33
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

You have to believe me when I tell you. I love boring documentaries on things. I am the lone person left here who seems to care about these kinds of things.

If it wasn't for me, I doubt any of that stuff would even exist.

I tried watching them once. Figured since these folks were all my friends, and in one case, one of them is dead now, I wanted to watch what we did back then. After a short while it's INCREDIBLY TEDIOUSLY BORING.

You might think you'd want to watch all of it, but I guarantee you, you would NOT be able to do it. It's just raw still cam footage. As I said above, the only interesting bits are when someone new came up onto the the capture platform.

It's genuinely not that interesting, and I say that as a fan of this stuff, not as someone who was involved.

Old 08-25-2005, 10:30 AM   #34
pjohnsonjr

Understood,

However, what if you took clips from like the first few seconds of the start of one person's shoot and after so many seconds, use some visual editing tricks to start morphing the screen background to black and the character to it's pixelated representation from ROTT.

Now on the side create a small clip of ROTT gameplay with that character in it... It will come in use in a second.

From the black background and ROTT character representation, move and scale the ROTT version to the location of the character in the gameplay clip's first frame and scaled to the correct height.

While it might be over-flashy for stuff most people don't give a damn about, but if it were to be done that way, I'd only forsee maybe a few hours spent in some editing software. While it's a plausible alternative to hours of same stuff it would come down to a decision of if someone really wanted to do that. (There'd have to be more to the full thing than just this as well, but that is a story for another topic of conversation).

But that's it for my thoughts from right field.
Old 08-25-2005, 02:04 PM   #35
Frenkel

I hope Joe has more important stuff to do than that .
Old 08-25-2005, 02:56 PM   #36
pjohnsonjr

I'd hope so too, but then again who said it had to be him?
Old 08-28-2005, 11:02 AM   #37
RugerMK1
It'd most likely HAVE to be Joe. Since he's stated he's basically the only one left who wishes to archive or view the old tapes.
Old 08-28-2005, 04:22 PM   #38
pjohnsonjr

Joe could allow for a secondary group to do it with strict supervision over the group by Joe. Though probably feasible, it could be done. Who knows...
Old 09-02-2005, 09:26 AM   #39
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Quote:
Frenkel said:
I hope Joe has more important stuff to do than that .
Well.............

I should try and at least get some screen grabs off the tapes, but doing something like this is very low on the priority list.

I also wouldn't want to let the tapes out of my hands. As much as it would make it easier to get the stuff done, I just can't take the risk on what might happen to them if I let 'em outside of our HQ.

Old 09-02-2005, 10:43 AM   #40
Nacho

Screen grabs would be nice.

Question, was there any blooper type material on those tapes?