Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > General Topics > Hardware Forum
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 03-05-2011, 04:13 PM   #1
FullMetalJacket
TV turned itself off
I have a Samsung 50" plasma PN50C550G1F. I was watching it today and it suddenly turned off all by itself, and it won't turn back on. It's still plugged in and receiving power, and the batteries in the remote are still good. I also had never set the TV's sleep timer or anything like that.

I Googled the heck out of it and can't find anyone else with this problem. Geek Squad is sending somebody next Tuesday to look at it. Does anyone know what could possibly be wrong with it, or would I could do to get it working? I only just bought the TV at the end of December and this is the first problem I've ever had with it.

"My father would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy; the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament."
Old 03-05-2011, 05:07 PM   #2
NutWrench

Re: TV turned itself off
Have you tried unplugging it, wait a bit and plugging it back in?
"If by chance some day you're not feeling well and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Old 03-05-2011, 06:25 PM   #3
FullMetalJacket
Yup, tried already. Seriously no idea what could have caused this. And the TV is brand new, so I doubt the lamp had burned out--aren't they normally good for like 2 years at least? Do plasma TVs even use lamps?

"My father would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy; the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament."
Old 03-05-2011, 07:00 PM   #4
Jeff

My Panasonic G25 plasma has a power saving feature where if you have no signal for 3 minutes or so, it'll shut itself off. However, only that. I think it's built into one of the panel's technologies called Neo-PDP, which makes the panel environment and energy friendly (still uses more power than a LCD panel, but not as much as other panels). Your Samsung might have a similar energy saving feature.

I've never had it just shut off when watching something.
Last edited by Jeff; 03-05-2011 at 07:11 PM.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:11 PM   #5
NutWrench

Could be the power supply. Fortunately, even the worst manufacturers warranty should cover at least 90 days.
"If by chance some day you're not feeling well and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Old 03-05-2011, 07:32 PM   #6
Jeff

Plasma TVs are really expensive to fix, so it's a good idea to get an extended warranty. I didn't buy one for mine, but after hearing a few stories, I might check into it before July when my 1 year warranty is up.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:58 PM   #7
FullMetalJacket
Yes, it was the power supply. Samsung sent someone to look at it, but they have to wait for the necessary part to come in.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:47 PM   #8
ZuljinRaynor

Here is the problem: It's a Samsung.

We went through two different Samgsung LCDs in two years. Samsung uses cheap parts and uses lower rated capacitors on their Power Supplies than they should be using.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:31 AM   #9
Jeff

Another thing about Samsung is that for their LCD's they have three types of panels (A, S, and C series). Out of those three panels, only the S panel is made by Samsung. The C panel is Chinese, and I believe the A panel is from Australia or something.

Anyways, they had this thing called the Samsung panel lottery a few years back, where people would keep returning their TVs in hope for an S panel, which is the good one. You don't know what you're going to get, which is why they call it a lottery. You can't just ask for a Samsung panel.

This is one of the reasons I went with plasma, not just because of the lottery, but there was the issues of the 60 Hz LCDs (ghosting, juddering, clouding), which the plasma fixes to an extent. It'll fix everything, but you'll need to buy a 96 Hz panel from Panasonic or LG's 72 Hz. Samsung also makes the C8000 which is 96 Hz. I know a lot of people think it's 600 Hz, but plasma works like a CRT monitor, where the refresh rate (48, 60, 72, 96) determines how much flicker you see on the screen. Plus with 48, 72 or 96 Hz, you get 24p playback for Blu-ray.

Okay, I'm getting a little sidetracked.
Last edited by Jeff; 03-17-2011 at 02:37 AM.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:18 AM   #10
Nessus

As an aside on Samsung screens I bought their netbook thinking that if nothing else the screen would be top notch and it's the worst screen I've had in any device in my life. 15 degree's angled up or down and it's too dark or the darks are too light. Compared to my Asus the Samsung notebook is a complete and total piece of garbage in just about every way. And I was a big fan of them until this purchase. I still think their TV's look better than Sony's.

Now that I'm out of warranty if my power supply burned out on my Toshiba I think I'd order it and try to change it myself, those things look easy to repair compared to a tube TV. It's probably just a power supply, motherboard and screen inside a case. Of course sometimes they make things purposefully hard on the DIY crowd.
Last edited by Nessus; 04-06-2011 at 08:21 AM.