Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Other Apogee/3D Realms Games > Max Payne
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 04-27-2009, 02:48 PM   #161
K100

Re: Max Payne 3
Wallpapers, avatars, and buddy icons:
http://www.rockstargames.com/maxpayne3/downloads/
Last edited by K100; 04-27-2009 at 02:54 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:50 PM   #162
Piano Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by K100 View Post
Wallpapers, avatars, and buddy icons:
http://www.rockstargames.com/maxpayne3/downloads/
Shame there's not a lot to see though... Wonder when they're going to release the first screenshots... would like to see how they render the max payne character in-game!

Old 04-27-2009, 06:00 PM   #163
K100

Yes, I can't wait !!! I'm a huge Max Payne fan and I'm really excited by the game ! I want to see screenshots !!! ^^
Old 04-27-2009, 07:16 PM   #164
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Given my involvement with the first two, I'm curious to see what they do with the third. Looks NOTHING like the first two from a character design standpoint.

They can't change it TOO much, otherwise what's the point of calling it "Max Payne 3"? You take away the original too much and it might as well be called something else.

We shall see.

It feels odd for me to be on the outside of this.

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16
Old 04-27-2009, 08:15 PM   #165
0marTheZealot

I dunno. I really loved Max Payne 1, was pretty indifferent to Max Payne 2 and I have a bad feeling about Max Payne 3.

And why the hell is Max Payne still in uniform? This man is an absolute menace to society.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:40 PM   #166
Cleric

He's not going to be in the third one. The press announcement of the game said something about Max becoming a drifter-type.
Konami Gamer ID:steak_and_cheese
Old 04-28-2009, 09:31 AM   #167
Joel

For some reason the interpretation of Max Payne for the upcoming game is reminding me of the character Michael Douglas played in Falling Down. I don't mean from the viewpoint of aesthetics, but from the perspective of a man whose brain has just snapped. While Max in the first two games was a vigilante and a loose cannon, he still had some kind of morality about him.

There was a reason for the killing: he was a man on a mission who would do anything to see if through. In the upcoming one, judging from the description of the character and the way he is drawn, they kind of seem to be portraying him in this one as a rebel without a cause: pissed off, violent and just plain reckless.

I could be totally wrong too. But at the games made so far, no matter how tragic the journey has been for him, there was always some light at the end of the tunnel. The cover art of the first two MP games were also quite classy and noir-istic. A cross between a Frank Miller graphic novel and an old fashioned detective movie. The art for this one so far just looks macabre.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:52 PM   #168
Mona Payne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Siegler View Post
Given my involvement with the first two, I'm curious to see what they do with the third. Looks NOTHING like the first two from a character design standpoint.

They can't change it TOO much, otherwise what's the point of calling it "Max Payne 3"? You take away the original too much and it might as well be called something else.

We shall see.

I'm curious about this Joe if you could answer it.

Say you guys were involved in the making of a thrid game say shortly after the 2nd one came out. Which ending do you believe Sam would have considered Canon? If you don't want to answer that then just What ending would you have considered Canon? The one where Mona lives....or the one where Mona dies?
Old 04-28-2009, 07:15 PM   #169
MegaMustaine

The one where she dies. That is the one most people saw and the one they should stick with. I'm sure what happened is they had both endings made up and had to choose which one they wanted to go with at the end of the project. Since they had both they decided to give us the extra ending to see for completing the game on the hardest difficulty.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:17 PM   #170
Hudson

Quote:

We shall see.

Just think of it as crap like the rest of us, if it somehow becomes miraculously stellar it would only be a pleasant surprise.

Personally I think it's going to be the Max Payne movie equivalent of a video game, which is to say.. not saying much.

Either it's going to be that, or GTA4 meets Max Payne. Either way I smell shit.
[INSERT SYSTEM SPECS THAT NO ONE CARES ABOUT HERE]
Old 04-28-2009, 09:41 PM   #171
K100

We have only one artwork...
Wait until first screenshots or gameplay videos before judging it.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:43 PM   #172
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Nobodies really judge it yet.

We forming opinions based on one simple fact... it's not being developed by Remedy. That's enough to make me very hesitant about it.

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Old 04-28-2009, 11:37 PM   #173
uf1234
As I was reading along, i think this game needs a graveyard scene. Max could be saying good bye to his wife and daughter and Mona. It would obviously have to be at night, in the rain during the fall with some leaves still on the trees or in the winter.

I'd also like to see that orange glow from street lights.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:36 AM   #174
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

The whole game should be at night.

But I don't think that will happen, Max has left New York... gone to a different town. There's no way he could say good bye to his wife and child.

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Old 04-29-2009, 10:07 AM   #175
Cleric

Maybe we will get the proper ending to the series - he'll return to New York at the end of the game for whatever reason and die next to his wife and child's graves. Tragic hero ftw!
Old 04-29-2009, 01:54 PM   #176
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mona Payne View Post
I'm curious about this Joe if you could answer it.

Say you guys were involved in the making of a thrid game say shortly after the 2nd one came out. Which ending do you believe Sam would have considered Canon? If you don't want to answer that then just What ending would you have considered Canon? The one where Mona lives....or the one where Mona dies?
I don't understand the confusion. The real one was the one in the game. The other one was an "alternate", aka "NOT USED".

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16
Old 04-29-2009, 02:55 PM   #177
Mona Payne
Quote:
I don't understand the confusion. The real one was the one in the game. The other one was an "alternate", aka "NOT USED".
The confusion to me is I just assumed since Dead or Alive is a game mode and it's a harder mode then the first two mode's that it wouldnt be considered an "Alternate".

So when you say the real one was in the game...I think to myself that both endings were in the game and didnt really think the Dead or Alive ending was an alternate one in that sense of the word. Yeah it was a second ending but i just thought there had to be a reason why it was put in the game. lol. I didnt think that it would be just for a reward.

Also...when it comes to other creators...Some say that they view the Alternates as Canon just as the regular one. Of course in Max Payne that would be different because well the endings contradicted each other.

So yeah it confused me.

Thanks for the answers though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaMustaine View Post
The one where she dies. That is the one most people saw and the one they should stick with. I'm sure what happened is they had both endings made up and had to choose which one they wanted to go with at the end of the project. Since they had both they decided to give us the extra ending to see for completing the game on the hardest difficulty.
Well I guess we won't find out for sure till later which one is used. I can still hold out hope for the second one. Maybe it's a good thing it's made by someone new because if it wasnt from what I gather from Joe's answers is they would have gone with the first ending. We need Mona.
Last edited by Mona Payne; 04-29-2009 at 02:57 PM.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:38 AM   #178
Walking Alone

by bstarter29

Well, I just got my Game Informer, and guess who's the cover boy?

I'll try and get screens up soon, but here are some details:

-Takes place in Sao Paulo, Brazil.
-Most of the screens are in the day with a ghetto jungle vibe (think of like RE5)
-Story is 12 years after MP2 I think. Either the game details the "missing years" of Max or not is unclear.
-Bullet-time is still there, and from what I read, the gameplay is still relatively the same. There is a cover system and more fluid animations now.

The 10 page cover story hardly reveals anything actually. Just a lot of jungle screens, and talk of the original Max Payne's.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q...3/DSCN0330.jpg
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q...3/DSCN0329.jpg
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q...3/DSCN0331.jpg
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q...3/DSCN0332.jpg
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q...3/DSCN0333.jpg
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q...3/DSCN0334.jpg
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q...3/DSCN0335.jpg
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q...3/DSCN0336.jpg
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q...3/DSCN0337.jpg
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q...3/DSCN0338.jpg
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q...3/DSCN0339.jpg
Old 06-09-2009, 12:27 PM   #179
K100

cooooooool thanks !!!
Old 06-09-2009, 01:26 PM   #180
Walking Alone

Last edited by Walking Alone; 06-09-2009 at 03:01 PM.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:31 PM   #181
K100

Personally, I like the new style of the game. MP 1 and 2 are very similar, I think it's good to see something new.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:34 PM   #182
Walking Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by k100 View Post
personally, i like the new style of the game. Mp 1 and 2 are very similar, i think it's good to see something new.
it is not game called max payne.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:38 PM   #183
K100

Why ? Because he have a beard and he is not in New York at night ?
I don't care about that... I just want a good story and good gameplay.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:23 PM   #184
JobivanHiob

W T F

this doesn't look like Max Payne at all

I'm curious how Rockstar will pull that off
Old 06-09-2009, 05:06 PM   #185
December Man

Bruce Willis from Die Hard 4 indeed.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:50 PM   #186
Theonewayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walking Alone View Post

My thoughts exactly.

That is not MaxPayne what the hell were they thinking.

I don't care if it plays similar (El matador), bullet time is not what makes MaxPayne it is the story and the setting (New York, noir felling, a man with nothing to lose), that game looks nothing like MaxPayne.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:31 PM   #187
BloodWolf806

Looks... Interesting
Old 06-09-2009, 09:49 PM   #188
Yatta

Hm, an old man in a jungle adventure. Doesn't ring Max, but I'll give it a chance I guess.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:33 PM   #189
MegaMustaine

To be honest, I think this looks great. Max definitely looks as though he is still a man with nothing to lose, and I'm sure R* will handle the story and gameplay just fine. The only thing I'm worried about, is that they are using a different voice actor this time around. R* said they wanted someone who sounds older. Other than that I'm sure this will be a great game.

Badass Max Cover

http://ve3d.ign.com/images/fullsize/...rt/Max-Payne-3
Old 06-10-2009, 01:53 AM   #190
Kev_Hectic

Arrow Re: Max Payne 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobivanHiob View Post
W T F

this doesn't look like Max Payne at all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theonewayman View Post

That is not MaxPayne what the hell were they thinking.
You know, most people (including myself) gave that same reaction to Max Payne 2 when the first magazine scans appeared on these forums, showing off a completely different Max. But people did eventually get used to the new look.

At this point I've just come to accept that Max Payne won't look the same from game to game... in some ways, he's become the video game equivalent of James Bond... Though Max does seem to change his face a lot more frequently than Bond ever did.

I'm still on the fence with the new direction they are going in though, but I'm interested in seeing more.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:41 AM   #191
Mariamus

I don't know what to think. My inner geek wants to play it right now while dancing in fields! and the same inner geek just wants to jump in the harbor with cement shoes. (what can I say, my inner geek is a schizophrenic)

i'll probably be just as disappointed in this as I was with the movie.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:59 AM   #192
Parkar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaMustaine View Post
To be honest, I think this looks great. Max definitely looks as though he is still a man with nothing to lose, and I'm sure R* will handle the story and gameplay just fine. The only thing I'm worried about, is that they are using a different voice actor this time around. R* said they wanted someone who sounds older. Other than that I'm sure this will be a great game.

Badass Max Cover

http://ve3d.ign.com/images/fullsize/...rt/Max-Payne-3
Me to. I think I may have been more alarmed if they tried to recreate Max 1/2 as I would not be able to accept anything that's not done the Remedy way or up their standards. Taking the game in a completely different direction sold me on the idea that a Max Payne 3 could really work. They could still **** it up obviously but I see no problem with an older, more exprienced Max in a completly new setting.
Old 06-10-2009, 03:58 AM   #193
K100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkar View Post
Me to. I think I may have been more alarmed if they tried to recreate Max 1/2 as I would not be able to accept anything that's not done the Remedy way or up their standards. Taking the game in a completely different direction sold me on the idea that a Max Payne 3 could really work. They could still **** it up obviously but I see no problem with an older, more exprienced Max in a completly new setting.
I agree with you !

Old 06-10-2009, 05:41 AM   #194
Jokke_r

This is both funny and sad, i find the look and setting to be hilarious in a bad way, they completely missed the point.

This game doesn't say Max Payne to me, they could slap any other name on it.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:29 AM   #195
ZaphodB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokke_r View Post
This is both funny and sad, i find the look and setting to be hilarious in a bad way, they completely missed the point.

This game doesn't say Max Payne to me, they could slap any other name on it.
Same here. They could have called it "Middle Aged Rampage" and it would have fit just as well.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:33 AM   #196
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

I can deal with Max leaving New York, he had nothing left for him there. I can also deal with Max looking like Bruce Willis from Dir Hard 4.

But, while it's not really a big thing, having the game take place in daylight. To me, that really goes against a LOT of the Max Payne vibe. It makes me wonder, how much of the film noir style are they keeping.

I'm also really worried about the story. Sam Lake is still at Remedy working on Alan Wake... and he has had nothing to do with the story for MP3. So, I'm a bit skeptical about the story of this next installment.

Also, does anyone know or has Rockstar said yet if they have the same voice actor to play Max? Changing the voice actor for Max would be absolutely horrible. You can change his appearance, that's fine... he always manages to maintain a few similar visual traits.
But his voice is iconic with the character. Change his voice... it's not Max IMO.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:59 AM   #197
Walking Alone

No James McCaffery. Other actor.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:20 AM   #198
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Okay... that's a HUGE knock against it.

I'm not instantly saying no to the game, just going to follow a lot more cautiously. Not get my hopes up.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:55 AM   #199
Cleric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walking Alone View Post
No James McCaffery. Other actor.
Seriously? That's a huge mistake.

Max Payne 2 was one of the most emotionally gripping titles I've ever played. I had to sit in front of my computer long after the credits finished just to take it all in. Max's story is one of the most well-crafted tales ever seen in video game history (IMO ). I'm just worried that this game could ruin that. It's going to have to impress the hell out of a lot of people to be accepted.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:41 AM   #200
BloodWolf806

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking alone View Post
no james mccaffery. Other actor.
....what the f*** are they thinking?