Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > General Topics > Popular Media Forum
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 08-12-2012, 08:58 AM   #1
Kit

Dredd

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqqgrUna28w

Saw the trailer for this before The Amazing Spider-man. Seems to be a similar concept to the recently released The Raid and it looks pretty good.

Clearly they're trying to emulate the grittiness of the Dark Knight, but I think this is a case where a film has clearly benefited from trying to be more grounded.
Last edited by Kit; 08-12-2012 at 09:00 AM.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:38 AM   #2
Crosma

Exclamation Re: Dredd
Ah, this reminds me of the 3DRUBB glory days.

It looks ace!
Old 08-13-2012, 04:32 AM   #3
Kalki

Re: Dredd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosma View Post
Ah, this reminds me of the 3DRUBB glory days.
Haha, yeah.

The movie looks alright. Hope there's more to the story than cops battling their way to the top of a building. Checked to see if a low budget was the reason and according to wikipedia it's $45 million. Could end up being another Doom.
"Gentlemen, generations to follow will see us as the first pioneers of the internet. They will look upon our days as those of brave spirits and free ideals - where men were men, women were men and children were the FBI."

Free Speech
Old 08-13-2012, 09:24 PM   #4
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

I think it looks awesome.
And I like the idea of Dredd trying to fight to the top of a tower completely controlled by a strong criminal element.

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Old 08-13-2012, 09:28 PM   #5
Inanimate Carbon Rod

Usually it's low budget B movies that have an entire movie in tower.

It can be done well, but the trailer was less than exciting. Coupled with the fact that it is Dredd 3D and not just Dredd - it is almost certainly a stinker.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:16 AM   #6
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Personally, I think it actually looks good. And it already looks way better then Sly's Dredd.
And I love Sly's Dredd as a guilty pleasure.

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Old 08-15-2012, 10:23 AM   #7
Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inanimate Carbon Rod View Post
Usually it's low budget B movies that have an entire movie in tower.
Yes, it does look somewhat low budget and the setting, Mega city, doesn't exactly look very mega.

Regarding Stallones Judge Dredd, I thought they got the costumes and the art direction in general right, but the rest was a mess.

I did however like that they included the ABC warrior though.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:25 PM   #8
Paroxysm

Well it is low budget so I think they've done pretty damn well. Initial reviews have been extremely positive too. I'm looking forward to it.

this is what i think of you ^&%&%^*@#^%*@#%^#@^& - dukeonly
Old 10-11-2012, 02:22 PM   #9
hellchicken
So has no one else seen this movie? Apparently this movie is not making it's money back at the box office in the USA, which I find very disappointing.

But I love it, it was so much fun sitting in the theatre and watching Dredd 3D, I may have been as joyous as I probably would have been back in the day if I hadn't been too young to see RoboCop in theatres.
If only the ending could have been a bit more spectacular (by all means, it was actually rather anticlimatic) and if the main antagonist Ma-Ma (Lena Headey, who also plays Queen Cersei Lannister in A Game of Thrones) was more fleshed out and given more screen-time the film would actually be flawless for me. And I realize there are official supplementals on the internet, but the film would have been better for it.
And I know the comparisons to RoboCop may confuse some people; it's just that everything about this film oozes of that same character, that same tone, that same vibe I get from the Paul Verhoeven films of the good old days.

Dredd 3D is violent, relentless, well written, stylish, violent, action-packed, well paced, violent, engaging, well performed and overall well made, technically and creatively.

Also, it is relentlessly violent.

And very, very fun.
Last edited by hellchicken; 10-11-2012 at 03:14 PM.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:06 PM   #10
Paroxysm

Comes out in Australia next week.

Old 10-12-2012, 03:34 PM   #11
Dan the Man

I watched it, enjoyed it, watched 'Looper' the week after and decided on reflection that 'Dredd 3D' was the better film. Just sayin'.
Old 10-21-2012, 02:46 PM   #12
Thief

Just saw it. Pretty awesome, though at times the helmet looks so dinky, other times it looks perfect. Think it has something to do with the "X" on the visor, which isn't on Stallone's.
We choose our profession in defiance of the greed of the monarchy. We will not live for the sake of taxes to fatten the nobles' pockets. We choose to live the only life available to those who would truly be free. We are Thieves.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:42 AM   #13
hellchicken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thief View Post
Just saw it. Pretty awesome, though at times the helmet looks so dinky, other times it looks perfect. Think it has something to do with the "X" on the visor, which isn't on Stallone's.
Yeah, it bugged me, too, sometimes. It kind of appears as if the "x" could obstruct his vision. Doesn't seem too practical to design a helmet like that, but oh well, not a dealbreaker.

Btw., Looper is a fantastic film, too, but it's on a completely opposite spectrum to Dredd. Apples and Oranges, IMO.

Old 11-14-2012, 06:02 AM   #14
Commando Nukem

Does make me laugh, all this talk about "the movie only taking place in a tower" like that's a bad thing. There's a huge New York Badge wielding elephant in this room.

*COUGH*

*COUGH*

Ya know what i'm saying?

That poster totally feels like the Duke 3D poster to me.

I'm looking forward to seeing this. I loves me some Urban. Even in crap (DOOM) he turns a good performance.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:34 PM   #15
Paroxysm

The movie is great so continue looking forward to it.

Old 12-26-2012, 05:54 PM   #16
Commando Nukem

Saw it, loved it.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:59 PM   #17
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Just watched it...
Fecking awesome. Such a great action film. Extremely brutal and graphically violent, but... very focused and it had some great pacing.

Karl was awesome as Dredd. He nailed the character.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:08 AM   #18
Riddlewire

I liked it.

It performed poorly in theaters. I suspect the marketing will be blamed, but I'm not sure what they could have done differently. It's a survival action story. People ought to know that genre pretty well (Die Hard, Riddick). It didn't open against any major franchises. Did the R-rating really hurt it that much? Maybe they should have put some effeminate vampires in it.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:40 PM   #19
hellchicken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddlewire View Post
I liked it.

It performed poorly in theaters. I suspect the marketing will be blamed, but I'm not sure what they could have done differently.
It could have been actually marketed (as opposed to not at all).

Quote:
It's a survival action story. People ought to know that genre pretty well (Die Hard, Riddick). It didn't open against any major franchises. Did the R-rating really hurt it that much? Maybe they should have put some effeminate vampires in it.
It opened against Liam Neeson beating up bearded ethnic folk in Taken 2.

Getting the DVD for Dredd soon, but man, I would really love to see it in theatres one more time. Was the only 3D film I ever liked.

Old 01-13-2013, 03:23 PM   #20
Riddlewire

Taken 2 opened two weeks after Dredd.

Here was Dredd's opening weekend:

1 End of Watch $13,152,683
2 House at the End of The Street $12,287,234
3 Trouble with the Curve $12,162,040
4 Finding Nemo(3D) $9,641,474 (2)
5 Resident Evil: Retribution $6,701,803 (2)
6 Dredd $6,278,491
Old 01-13-2013, 07:17 PM   #21
hellchicken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddlewire View Post
Taken 2 opened two weeks after Dredd.

Here was Dredd's opening weekend:

1 End of Watch $13,152,683
2 House at the End of The Street $12,287,234
3 Trouble with the Curve $12,162,040
4 Finding Nemo(3D) $9,641,474 (2)
5 Resident Evil: Retribution $6,701,803 (2)
6 Dredd $6,278,491
Ah, yes, I meant over where I live it opened against Taken 2. At least that's the film everyone went and saw instead of Dredd.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:26 AM   #22
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

After Sly's horrid Dredd film nobody had any trust in this one.
That's all I heard from people when I tried to talk about it at work. "The last one was terrible, why would this one be any better..."

Well, maybe because Karl Urban is fecking awesome.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:20 PM   #23
ZuljinRaynor

Stallone one rocks. It's so bad, that it is good! Like the game.

Plus, look at your avatar.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:00 PM   #24
KO Gilligan

Stallone was awesome in Dredd. Just like Mel Gibson, David Carradine and Arnold back in the day. Mad Max, Deathrace 2000, Conan the Barbarian, and Judge Dredd will always sit together on my VHS set of awesome action films. The're all laughable, especially by today's standards, but think about JAWS, most of those old movies were goofy.

Had a real bad time even playing the Dredd game. It's at it's core, it is dysfunctional.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:08 PM   #25
crunchy superman

New Dredd was awesome! Urban was solid, as expected.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:10 PM   #26
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZuljinRaynor View Post
Stallone one rocks. It's so bad, that it is good! Like the game.

Plus, look at your avatar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Gilligan View Post
Stallone was awesome in Dredd. Just like Mel Gibson, David Carradine and Arnold back in the day. Mad Max, Deathrace 2000, Conan the Barbarian, and Judge Dredd will always sit together on my VHS set of awesome action films. The're all laughable, especially by today's standards, but think about JAWS, most of those old movies were goofy.

Had a real bad time even playing the Dredd game. It's at it's core, it is dysfunctional.
Sly's Dredd was great... for all the wrong reasons.
It wasn't good because it was a great 'Dredd' film... it was great because it was so stupid and bad.

Urban's Dredd is awesome because it's Dredd.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:10 AM   #27
KO Gilligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_Azreal View Post
Sly's Dredd was great... for all the wrong reasons.
It wasn't good because it was a great 'Dredd' film... it was great because it was so stupid and bad.
Stallone did a great job with it. The ridiculousness of it all would have been more appropriate for the movie if it was a decade earlier, but it was still a great movie.

I just realized that my local RedBox has Dredd on BluRay...I haven't seen it yet. I'm going to pick it up this morning.
Last edited by KO Gilligan; 01-15-2013 at 02:14 AM.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:26 PM   #28
Kit

Watched Dredd last night. Loved it! violent, stylish, just brilliantly put together. Was nice seeing a different, more modern take on mega city one too. Just hope it made enough to warrant a sequel!
Old 01-24-2013, 12:22 AM   #29
Kalki

I'm waiting for the local dvd. It had a very short theatrical run here. Doing well on home video apparently:

http://badassdigest.com/2013/01/23/w...-a-massive-hit
"Gentlemen, generations to follow will see us as the first pioneers of the internet. They will look upon our days as those of brave spirits and free ideals - where men were men, women were men and children were the FBI."

Free Speech
Old 01-24-2013, 06:45 AM   #30
Crosma

Exclamation Re: Dredd
It's a shame that almost all of the Internet buzz has come after the theatrical run. There is a slight possibility that the franchise can be saved yet though.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:02 PM   #31
Kit

I hope so. They did an absolutely stellar job.

My main fear for any sequel is they'd make it less violent to get a lower rating - a bit like what they did with Die Hard 4 which was absolute shite.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:58 AM   #32
Kalki

I watched this last night and it was pretty good. The low budget was apparent but they made up for it with a tight script. The cast did a great job.

Free Speech