Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Duke Nukem > Duke Nukem 3D Xbox LIVE
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 09-25-2008, 04:56 PM   #1
George Broussard

Free code for the game - here!
RRX3M-MY7XY-TCH7T-7RGM7-22WV?

Replace the ? with the correct letter or digit, in the marketplace screen where you can redeem the code, for a free copy of Duke Nukem 3D on XBLA.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:03 PM   #2
Logan XII

Re: Free code for the game - here!
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Broussard View Post
RRX3M-MY7XY-TCH7T-7RGM7-22WV?

Replace the ? with the correct letter or digit, in the marketplace screen where you can redeem the code, for a free copy of Duke Nukem 3D on XBLA.
Gunna get my mate to try that! lol
Old 09-25-2008, 05:04 PM   #3
MusicallyInspired

Crap. If I had an XBox this would totally be mine.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:05 PM   #4
ZuljinRaynor

How long will this be avaible for cause I have no ETA on when my 360 will work.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:36 PM   #5
Yatta

Well, I tried A-Z and 0-9 and it said everything I tried was invalid. Someone else must've already registered it.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:49 PM   #6
Stevey Boy

HA too bad I already bought it
Old 09-25-2008, 06:31 PM   #7
axion

The code was also on George's Twitter, so someone probably grabbed it pretty quick.
http://pexticle.labrute.fr
Old 09-25-2008, 06:32 PM   #8
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZuljinRaynor View Post
How long will this be avaible for cause I have no ETA on when my 360 will work.
It works once - whoever is the first to plug it in will get it.

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16
Old 09-25-2008, 06:33 PM   #9
Steve

Holy crap... what a cool thing to do!
Old 09-25-2008, 07:46 PM   #10
Weses

Haha great idea.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:20 PM   #11
Crazy Cholo

Sorry Guys but im the one that got it. lol but its worth it
Old 09-25-2008, 08:29 PM   #12
Ironside

This is proof that 3DR is by far the most awesome!
Old 09-25-2008, 10:25 PM   #13
shiranui

Now go make a Disc-based retail version so us poor saps stuck behind the censorship curtain can have a go too.
Old 09-26-2008, 07:14 AM   #14
Klaus Kinski

Not gonna happen, dude. We're stuck behind the soccer-mom-curtain. Our deaths remain painful in Duke3d.
Old 09-26-2008, 07:19 AM   #15
Micki!

Haha, a spontanous give-away
Congrats Crazy Cholo for getting it though
Old 09-28-2008, 04:43 PM   #16
GambitMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiranui View Post
Now go make a Disc-based retail version so us poor saps stuck behind the censorship curtain can have a go too.
word.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:06 AM   #17
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiranui View Post
I doubt that will make any difference. It's the GAME that was banned, not the delivery medium.

Old 09-30-2008, 02:56 AM   #18
Klaus Kinski

But you could IMPORT the game.
However, it's wishful thinking at best as it makes absolutely no sense to release the XBLA version on any physical medium.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:00 AM   #19
Talos

I wonder if such a gift code would make it possible to get it here in germany. I would love to be a test subject concerning this matter :P George, you hear me? *cough*
Old 09-30-2008, 09:44 AM   #20
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talos View Post
I wonder if such a gift code would make it possible to get it here in germany. I would love to be a test subject concerning this matter :P George, you hear me? *cough*
That would not matter. It would be blocked. I know what you guys are trying to do, but I'm telling you - the block is enforced by Microsoft at the request of the German government. You can't get around that, unfortunately.

Old 09-30-2008, 04:13 PM   #21
Klaus Kinski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Siegler View Post
I know what you guys are trying to do, but I'm telling you - the block is enforced by Microsoft at the request of the German government.
I don't think the government requested dick, they just fine you for breaking the laws, taking assloads of money.
MS sure don't want to pay that. I wouldn't release it here either. The problem is not the legal status of he game, it can be sold, it's the lack of age verification on XBLA. That's all.
Concerning the problem in germany at least.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:29 PM   #22
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

It was submitted, and the three countries listed banned the game, so it's not being sold there. It is not the passive thing you suggest, dude.

Old 09-30-2008, 05:29 PM   #23
Klaus Kinski

I'm not suggesting anything. I'm confronted with the so called youth protection in my country since the early nineties, I followed closely the more or less recent changes (I think it was April 2004) of the laws concerning it. Believe me when I say that Duke Nukem 3D is in fact not banned from being sold, but it is restricted from being advertised and sold in public places. It is indexed here in germany, which is very different from being banned. If it was resubmitted for rating, it could get away with an USK rating, which would allow public advertising and selling pretty much at any place that can guarantee the verification of the buyer's age. Maybe MS resubmitted it and was denied the rating by the USK (we don't have real rating standards here, you can compare german rating boards to the MPAA, their ratings are very "individual"), that is indeed possible, but since a resubmission is costly, I doubt they even tried. I guess they considered, after looking at the costs and possible gains, that it wasn't worth it. I can't blame them for that. I can't comment on the other countries but I do know the youth protection laws of my country very ell. I've been bending them since I was 12.
EDIT: Here's a crude Babelfish translation of a website offering excerpts from the report on the decision to put he game on the index.
You can sell Duke3D legally in germany. I can buy it legally. You just have heavy restrictions concerning the sale, restrictions the XBLA service doesn't meet. It already starts with the ban on advertising. When does advertising start? I remember a time where gaming mags in germany didn't even print the names of indexed games, only describing them or using similar sounding names. All in fear of getting fined or having the concerning issue of their magazine indexed as well.
Last edited by Klaus Kinski; 09-30-2008 at 05:44 PM.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:28 AM   #24
Talos

Klaus Kinski is right. I said the same thing in the "banned in..." thread. Duke 3D is on the index which is nowhere near the same thing as being banned. The problem lies within the 360 not having an age verification system. The same thing applies to the PS3, Wii and online distribution platforms such as Steam as well.

All 18+ could very well legally buy Duke 3D XBLA but since there's no way to determine the age, we can't Oh well we can always play the PC version and then there will be DNF at some point which we can import (or maybe it even get's a rating - who knows...) =)
Old 10-01-2008, 07:54 AM   #25
Klaus Kinski

To make all that long drivel I posted very short: Putting a game on the index is the german equivalent of the ESRB's Adults Only rating. The only difference is that this is done by a government agency instead of the german ratings board USK.
The very same applies to movies here as well.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:18 AM   #26
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talos View Post
Klaus Kinski is right. I said the same thing in the "banned in..." thread. Duke 3D is on the index which is nowhere near the same thing as being banned.
You're arguing semantics. The bottom line is the same whether you want to call it banned or indexed, or whatever the term. Conditions and laws in Germany are preventing the sale of the game.

"Banned" is a lot easier term to deal with - because people understand that. Most people don't understand the intricacies (sp?) of the German "indexing system" (does that have an official name?)

Old 10-01-2008, 10:36 AM   #27
Klaus Kinski

That is completely right. It is a lot easier to understand. It's just that quite a lot of german gamers, and some do read these forums as well, need to be educated about their censorship laws IMO. This is not something the average german is informed about. See it as a personal crusade.
And no, there is no offcial name for that Process. The listing is simply called "Index", adding to it is "indexing" and the authority doing that itself has the totally unrelated name of "BPjM" ("Bundesanstalt fuer jugendgfaehrdende Medien" or "Federal Institute for Youth Endangering Media"). The same authority is also responsible for actual banning of Media. Only very few games are actually banned, Wolfenstein 3D being among them with usual suspects like Mortal Kombat 2 (no other part except the SEGA version of 1, though) and Manhunt.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:07 AM   #28
Talos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus Kinski View Post
... Only very few games are actually banned, Wolfenstein 3D being among them with usual suspects like Mortal Kombat 2 (no other part except the SEGA version of 1, though) and Manhunt.
Dead Rising and Condemned are also banned and so are these games: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verbote...darstellung.29 All these games (really just a few!) are banned because they offend against §131 of our penal laws. Note that Duke doesn't offend against these laws and isn't "banned". It's on the index which just means you're not allowed to advertise or sell it open to public. Note that you can still buy it from behind the counter! Indexed games are still available for everyone 18+! Thats the big difference between a game thats on the index and a game that's been banned. You can't buy Manhunt or Dead Rising here in germany even if you're 18+. If you still can get it somewhere here you're commiting a crime if you buy it; the shop selling it is in deep sh*t as well of course You could always import such a banned game but that's considered a crime as well.

What I'm trying to say: It's not really semantics you see, if a game is on the index you can still sell it. The problem, once again isn't actually our law but rather MS because they haven't implemented an age verification system. If there was a way to check that you're 18+ within XBL you could've access to games that are placed on the index, such as Duke 3D or games that haven't even been rated by our rating board such as Gears of War, respectivley it's downloadable content. But I understand that in this case it's practically a "ban".

@Klaus: I totally know what you're talking about when you say it's a "personal crusade". I tried to talk about this theme for years with my dad (I'm 25 now) and he wouldn't want to understand the difference between a ban and a game that's been placed on the index. The problem was: He was afraid of some police men standing in front of our door some day because I bought and still buy games like Quake 4 or Resurrection of Evil (D3 Addon)... Although such a thing would've never happened as these games aren't banned and it's totally legal to buy them as a guy 18+ ...

No need to actually discuss this any further although it's a pretty interesting theme - then again this is the wrong thread *cough* sorry *cough*