Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Other Apogee/3D Realms Games > Shadow Warrior Source Code
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 04-03-2005, 06:18 AM   #81
Swiss Cheeseman
Re: JFShadowWarrior is available
Quote:
Cerberus_e said:
Quote:
NotWieder3DR said:
BTW, some minor bugs or quirks you guys are encountering might very well be due to the game code that was provided in the first place. Since it was kludged together from various files with drastically different dates (and some things even different games!), it's very possible that certain gameplay elements are modified or broken because the real file was missing or from an earlier version of the game.

Both icculus and Jonothan have done a kickass job though, should be a fun year.
huh I don't understand, if you just give away the source of the latest version, which you used to compile the final game with, there shouldn't be a problem?
Thats assuming they actual have the final code. Obviosuly it was lost and they had to peice it together from various sources. Sorta like a restored film

Old 04-03-2005, 12:01 PM   #82
Another Duke Fan

Amazing, can`t stop playing and have plenty of fun, just as I used to have many years ago!! The wild and bloody action rush combined with the magic of the humor are blowing my speakers away.... These are true classics! Thank you again 3DR, JonoF, NotWieder3DR, Ken, for bringing this beauty back to life!
Old 04-03-2005, 12:40 PM   #83
Sir Lemonhead
I'm really bad at this game
Old 04-03-2005, 12:46 PM   #84
Ecmaster76

Yah its hard...

[hit 't' type 'swchan' and hit enter, should get easier ]
Old 04-03-2005, 01:01 PM   #85
Another Duke Fan

Well, the mouse movements are somewhat quirky ATM and it takes time to master them, however, I am sure, once they reach the quality of JFDuke, we`ll get the same level of control over the gameplay. For this time, I am more than glad to be able to enjoy the magic of SW again, moreover, in OpenGL & very nice sound quality!
Old 04-03-2005, 01:13 PM   #86
BloodShed

Quote:
You half the man you use to be
good port

Hail Jonof & Ken

Last.fm profile
Old 04-03-2005, 02:32 PM   #87
Water12356

Quote:
Ecmaster76 said:
Damn that was quick...

"Men trade whatever they have for sex and women trade sex for whatever they want. That may be unromantic but theres truth to it."
- Nessus
Old 04-03-2005, 02:39 PM   #88
wieder
Quote:
Cerberus_e said:
Quote:
NotWieder3DR said:
BTW, some minor bugs or quirks you guys are encountering might very well be due to the game code that was provided in the first place. Since it was kludged together from various files with drastically different dates (and some things even different games!), it's very possible that certain gameplay elements are modified or broken because the real file was missing or from an earlier version of the game.

Both icculus and Jonothan have done a kickass job though, should be a fun year.
huh I don't understand, if you just give away the source of the latest version, which you used to compile the final game with, there shouldn't be a problem?
Exactly what Swiss Cheeseman said. It's also mentioned in the readme.txt, as well as certain files that were included are marked as not from the Shadow Warrior source code.

Frank Maddin dug up as much as he could find, but in those days nobody around here intentionally kept 100% accurate source archives, especially long after the game was out and support had ended.

The code that Frank found had several files with almost the exact same content inside of them, but with different names and some slight changes. I had to make a best guess as to which one to use, and even then there isn't any guarantee that ANY of the included files were the ones they used to do the final 1.2 vesion with.

The one that is most scary and likely to cause subtle wierdness is that some files were missing entirely, so I dug into the Duke 3D source code for the similar files and used those in their place.
Old 04-03-2005, 02:55 PM   #89
SamSwashbuckler
Well anything that doesn't work can be changed, now that we've got the source. Just takes an understanding of the code and a bit of work. Thanks again 3DR!
Old 04-03-2005, 05:43 PM   #90
Besli

Wow, very great work JonoF + Ken!!
Only thing i miss now is jFBlood!
Time to start make textures and models for Shadow Warrior now!
Old 04-03-2005, 05:47 PM   #91
Parkar

Havent tried this my self(don't have blood) but it uses bits of jfduke and tries to bring back blood without using the blood source.
http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthread...&Number=810421
Old 04-03-2005, 05:52 PM   #92
Besli

Quote:
Parkar said:
Havent tried this my self(don't have blood) but it uses bits of jfduke and tries to bring back blood without using the blood source.
http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthread...&Number=810421
Uh, never saw this!
A great url that maybe will help to make the Blood port:
http://files.deathmask.net/
Old 04-03-2005, 05:57 PM   #93
Phayzon

Quote:
Besli said:
Wow, very great work JonoF + Ken!!
Only thing i miss now is jFBlood!
Time to start make textures and models for Shadow Warrior now!
Yep

Things I want:

1)SW_HRP (And Duke3d_HRP2 )
2)jfBlood
3)Blood_HRP :P
Old 04-03-2005, 06:02 PM   #94
wieder
Quote:
Besli said:
Uh, never saw this!
Is that a Cryptic Passage ISO I see in there?
Old 04-03-2005, 06:08 PM   #95
Phayzon

Yes. But Cryptic Passage is only 10 lvls and its prbably freeware now.
Old 04-03-2005, 06:13 PM   #96
Maren Gnawol

Cryptic Passage was one of the greatest addons ever created for a game.
Old 04-03-2005, 06:14 PM   #97
Sir Lemonhead
Quote:
NotWieder3DR said:
Quote:
Besli said:
Uh, never saw this!
He'll remove it if you ask i'm sure
Old 04-03-2005, 06:26 PM   #98
Ras

Not freeware, and it's understandable that Charlie would be upset since he worked on it. It's not sold any more, yes, but that doesn't make it free.
Old 04-03-2005, 06:26 PM   #99
wieder
Quote:
Sir_Lemonhead said:
It's not a big deal, just the principle of it. I don't think you *can* buy it anymore except off of auction places (which is the problem with most games as they age), but it's still a little brazen to just post it up like that..
Old 04-03-2005, 06:36 PM   #100
Sir Lemonhead
Quote:
NotWieder3DR said:
Quote:
Sir_Lemonhead said:
It's not a big deal, just the principle of it. I don't think you *can* buy it anymore except off of auction places (which is the problem with most games as they age), but it's still a little brazen to just post it up like that..
Yeah, i'm not aware of anywhere to buy it other than say ebay. I'm sure he just figured it had fallen into that abandonware grey area...
Old 04-03-2005, 06:47 PM   #101
Ras

I wonder if those listed on eBay are legit, or if he's running off his own copies. I played the Blood shareware right when it was released, but I didn't bother to get the game until many years later. As a result, I missed out on Cryptic and the Plasma Pak. I don't care that much about the latter, but Cryptic looked cool and I expect I would enjoy it as much as I did Sunstorm's Duke It Out and Caribbean.
Old 04-03-2005, 06:51 PM   #102
Sir Lemonhead
Wow..it shocks me to hear that you didn't care about the plasma pack :O :O

That was excellent and well worth owning :\
Old 04-03-2005, 06:57 PM   #103
Ras

To be honest, I know little about the Plasma Pak. I just read a review on the Adrenaline Vault, and it does sound pretty interesting. I like the idea of a shopping center level. The Duke level in a grocery store was one of my favorites, so the same would probably be true for Blood. I guess I'll reinstall the game and see how it plays on my computer, and then start tracking this stuff down if all goes well.
Old 04-03-2005, 06:58 PM   #104
Maren Gnawol

While fearing I could be digging too much into this offtopicness, the Plasma Pack was nice but I felt it kicked ass mostly for the weapon enhancements, the maps weren't as inspired and atmospheric as the CP ones.
Old 04-03-2005, 07:01 PM   #105
Sir Lemonhead
the plasma pack had more than new levels. There were new enemies(the little calebs that burst out of the broken mirrors was brilliant further ripping off of the evil dead series ) and new weapon firing modes.

It's been so long since I've actually played Blood without the plasma pack, so it's hard to think of what it adds, but it is DEFINITLY worth owning.
Old 04-03-2005, 07:13 PM   #106
Maren Gnawol

Correct, playing the original Blood without plasma weapon modes feels like crap

The new enemies weren't something memorable but nice (as everything in Blood) nonetheless.
Old 04-03-2005, 08:58 PM   #107
SamSwashbuckler
I already have Cryptic Passage, but it was only 12 megs? What a ripoff! :P

Anyway, back on topic, how's the next release coming along, Jono?
Old 04-04-2005, 01:02 AM   #108
MegaMustaine

Oh how I love blood. It is what I'm playing until the save system gets fixed in this JFSW.
Old 04-04-2005, 06:52 AM   #109
Rider

I'm really getting into Shadow Warrior again but I have found some mishaps, most of them are with the mouse freaking out at 'sudden movements' but this one was a puzzler...

Here you can see somekind of red card thingy in Level 2 of the first episode. I can't pick it up. Now I didn't play it much in the DOS Era, but I think this is one of those things you where able to pick up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 816544-omgwang.jpg (47.0 KB, 78 views)
She's pretty, not "damn-she's-making-my-noodle-dance-samba"-pretty, but still very pretty... - Micki!
Old 04-04-2005, 07:11 AM   #110
gila

on the blood offtopic.

cryptic passage was super-neat, it had huge levels and great design, i wish they would have done another addon, it was great (except a few bugs with secret counts).

plasma pak was grim on the other hand, because apart from the new enemies and new firing modes, it recycled alot of levels from the floating-around blood alpha build of feb 96! check it out. that alone makes plasma worth it.

i always wondered why companies who almost abort their titles (fckng atari or whoeven owns blood right now after series of buying again and again?) don't like alphas or betas of games being, um... distributed. i don't see how it will harm the sales, especially in the blood case, which i think noone buys now. because the lack of support or something, fans are just forced to dig through the old stuff and find little and major differences - just because they don't have anything new on that game to toy with...
Old 04-04-2005, 08:26 AM   #111
jimbob

Quote:
Rider said:
I'm really getting into Shadow Warrior again but I have found some mishaps, most of them are with the mouse freaking out at 'sudden movements' but this one was a puzzler...

Here you can see somekind of red card thingy in Level 2 of the first episode. I can't pick it up. Now I didn't play it much in the DOS Era, but I think this is one of those things you where able to pick up.
thats a heat seaker card, you can shoot heat seaker missiles with the Rocket launger if you select it twice, making th red lights go on. if you find a nuke you need to press 5 3 times to shoot it
Old 04-04-2005, 08:34 AM   #112
Rider

so THATS what a heatseeker card looks like! I don't usually look at my powerups, I just pick 'em all up

wich explains why I couldn't pick it up, I already had one of those things!
She's pretty, not "damn-she's-making-my-noodle-dance-samba"-pretty, but still very pretty... - Micki!
Old 04-04-2005, 09:32 AM   #113
Besli

Quote:
NotWieder3DR said:
Quote:
Besli said:
Uh, never saw this!
Sorry, I don't know!
It's not my site/url, I just found it and thought it could be useful because of the alpha and beta version of Blood.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:02 AM   #114
gila

would you please stop posting that deathmask links, mmkay?

i don't wanna lose that small but cool blood cult leftovers aka "community" we have there
Old 04-04-2005, 11:41 AM   #115
SamSwashbuckler
The heatseeker is my favorite weapon in SW, it's just so awesome to shoot a rocket, that doesn't even have to be too close to the target, and have it chase them around Only really works well in open areas though. For WangBangs Heavy Metal was a really good level.

I remember one of the SP levels was a big boat. If you shot one outside there and it looked onto a coolie ghost you could watch it fly around for ages chasing after it, that was sweet :P
Old 04-04-2005, 12:27 PM   #116
Blade Nightflame

Big boat level?.. The only boat levels I ever recall was the one where you had to fix some to finish the level.. Hakamiri harbor.. or something..

Old 04-04-2005, 12:59 PM   #117
SamSwashbuckler
Yep, big boat level; very cool level, and very large. You start out in a little tiny boat in an isolated area and you have to open these gigantic metal doors in order to get out to the big boat in a huge open area full of water. Have to do some stuff underwater too; very fun level. I'll post the level name/number soon.
Old 04-04-2005, 01:00 PM   #118
Blade Nightflame

Hehe, big boat level.. Sounds like my kinda level.

Old 04-04-2005, 01:25 PM   #119
gila

strangely i didn't have any HOM effects and i could see that yellow car in E1L1 on that monitor just fine.

please note the wrong monster sounding!
Old 04-04-2005, 01:26 PM   #120
SamSwashbuckler
Level 18: Floating Fortress. There may be some problems with it though. The first time I went to it, I was in the middle of typing swtrek18 again (I didn't see the level name).

Anyway, while I was typing that, some of the baddies killed me. the game totally locked up, windows seemed to be sort of ok though.....so I tried to exit it.

Escape menu didn't work, alt tab / windows key didn't work. I pressed alt F4 and I got my mouse cursor....sort of....but anyway something was really messed up because eventually everything died and I had to reboot; when I got back Windows said it recovered from a serious error, like a BSOD or something (but it never showed one; or JFSW was on top of it). The only thing I can think might have started this chain of events is dying while typing (some sort of infinite loop?).

Got back to windows, went to lev 18 again. This time it didn't destroy everything, but after playing the level for a bit it just exited, wham right to desktop, no error message or anything.

Hope these details help a bit Jono