Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Duke Nukem
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 09-04-2008, 03:49 PM   #1
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Duke Nukem 3D Walkthrough
Something I've wanted to do for ages now I'm finally getting around to doing. It's a walkthrough for Duke Nukem 3D. We have a few of these on our website (Shadow Warrior, Max Payne 1, and an aborted attempt at Max Payne 2). But never one for Duke3D.

The primary reason is grabbing the screenshots was a pita on the old DOS version. DOSBox was an option, but I never really looked into that for some reason or another. Now that we finished the Duke3D port for the 360, I thought about using that version to grab screenshots, mostly because the development kit tools make it braindead easy to get screenshots. The game is the same as the original, so all the art and level design is the same, so I set out to finally make an official walkthrough for the game.

Take a look, and tell me what you think of it. As the walkthrough is 100% my work, I have to admit to being curious to see what people think of it.

http://www.3drealms.com/duke3d/walkthrough/index.html

I'm not ready to post it as news on the front page of the 3DR site, so I would prefer folks not spread this to other sites until I have completed the work. Thanks.

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16
Last edited by Joe Siegler; 09-23-2008 at 09:54 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:53 PM   #2
Yatta

Re: Duke Nukem 3D Walkthrough
Awesome stuff. Many people shall be pleased.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:27 PM   #3
XTHX2

Very cool Joe! It looks awesome. Even though I finished the game millions of times, I still enjoyed reading it. Oh and, there's a typo at Death Row's 4th Secret. ("cell")
Last edited by XTHX2; 09-05-2008 at 03:56 AM.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:42 PM   #4
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTHX2 View Post
Very cool Joe! It looks awesome. Even though I finished the game millions of times, I still enjoyed reading it. Oh and, there's a type at Death Row's 4th Secret. ("cell")
No irony in having a typo when pointing out a typo, eh?

Old 09-05-2008, 03:56 AM   #5
XTHX2

Argh damnit
Old 09-05-2008, 08:09 AM   #6
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

111 pageviews and only two comments? That bad, eh?

Old 09-05-2008, 09:18 AM   #7
stumppy84

Thumbs up Re: Duke Nukem 3D Walkthrough
Good one Joe! It would be cool if you could throw some stories or some never seen development stuff in.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:22 AM   #8
XTHX2

I think it is perfect the way it is now. It's a great thing to have secrets in a seperate place... Really
Old 09-05-2008, 09:34 AM   #9
ZaphodB

Ill be taking a look at it later next week for sure. I don't think I ever found everything (although I have spent hours on some levels searching).
Old 09-05-2008, 09:37 AM   #10
Jinroh

Awesome!

Learned a lot of secrets I had forgotten about and I got Duke3D back in '96! o_O

Thanks Joe this is awesome!
Old 09-05-2008, 10:02 AM   #11
Player Lin
Cool! A Walkthrough with secrets list... ****ing awesome!
Sadly, it died temporary due to I used my all of times on RealLife(TM) and playing Games! XD
*Player Lin escaped from the hell of making website.*
Old 09-05-2008, 10:46 AM   #12
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumppy84 View Post
Good one Joe! It would be cool if you could throw some stories or some never seen development stuff in.
That's not really the point here - its supposed to be a walkthrough, not a "tell all" about the game, and not really a behind the scenes thing, either.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:51 AM   #13
XTHX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Siegler View Post
That's not really the point here - its supposed to be a walkthrough, not a "tell all" about the game, and not really a behind the scenes thing, either.
Isn't the general purpose of walkthroughs are to help people pass where they got stuck? That's a bit unnecessary for him to ask it anyway
Old 09-05-2008, 11:06 AM   #14
JobivanHiob

Quote:
Will write intro later... Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Curabitur aliquam, pede ac tempus cursus, elit sapien eleifend tellus, nec accumsan tellus ipsum quis pede. Maecenas faucibus. Donec id nulla. Duis sed est. Nam malesuada cursus diam. In cursus, lectus et condimentum semper, velit eros imperdiet felis, sit amet fringilla neque justo a erat. Duis consequat nisi id massa. Quisque eget nibh. Nullam lacinia diam eu velit. Vestibulum dignissim lectus quis risus. Ut felis. Vestibulum ante ipsum primis in faucibus orci luctus et ultrices posuere cubilia Curae; Suspendisse potenti. Ut ullamcorper mauris nec pede.

Sed nisi sem, tincidunt id, dapibus in, dapibus facilisis, mi. Mauris sed nunc. Sed ultricies. Nunc quis arcu. Vestibulum ut massa. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Duis vel tortor. Nulla rutrum ante. Morbi quis ligula. Aenean dapibus. Curabitur accumsan. Fusce eget lorem. Morbi bibendum vulputate nisl. Duis nisl sapien, iaculis at, suscipit quis, semper et, est. Integer sem. Phasellus tincidunt elit sit amet mi. Curabitur sit amet sapien. Duis bibendum velit in enim. Integer sed arcu ut orci pharetra rutrum.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:25 PM   #15
Mr.Fibbles

Its Latin. . . I don't want to translate.

He is using a filler (lorem ipsum. . ) to take up space until he writes an intro.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:30 PM   #16
crunchy superman

Nice work, Joe - I'm enjoying the read.

One thing: on secret #2 in Death Row, don't you have to hit "use" on the altar to open up the wall?

Old 09-05-2008, 04:26 PM   #17
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy superman View Post
One thing: on secret #2 in Death Row, don't you have to hit "use" on the altar to open up the wall?
Yup. Forgot that. Actually, now that I think about it, I do recall thinking I had to write it, but forgot to actually do so. Added - thanks.

Old 09-05-2008, 04:35 PM   #18
XTHX2

I don't want to be the bugger of you but uh, you typed incubator wrong And then, you put Spaceport at the top of the page for the link of incubator walkthrough. Just saying
Old 09-05-2008, 04:36 PM   #19
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Quote:
I don't want to be the bugger of you but uh, you typed incubator wrong And then, you put Spaceport at the top of the page for the link of incubator walkthrough. Just saying
Did you miss the big yellow text that says "Work in progress"?

Seriously, I wouldn't comment on the "current" level, you're always likely to be looking at an incomplete thing, as I am generally still working on that one.

Last edited by Joe Siegler; 09-05-2008 at 04:39 PM.
Old 09-05-2008, 04:45 PM   #20
XTHX2

Quote:
Did you miss the big yellow text that says "Work in progress"?

Seriously, I wouldn't comment on the "current" level, you're always likely to be looking at an incomplete thing, as I am generally still working on that one.
I guess I missed that again Anyway, just wanted to say in case you may forget
Old 09-06-2008, 01:25 PM   #21
Shielder
A very minor thing really, but in Death Row - Secret #2, where you've written "First you need to shoot out the stained glass window on the left. Once you've done that, it will turn the room red...", in the PC version at least (not sure about other versions though), pressing "use" on the altar instead turns the room red.

Apart from that, this is a great walkthrough so far.
Last edited by Shielder; 09-06-2008 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Written too quickly, missed out vital bits.
Old 09-06-2008, 02:36 PM   #22
Superczar

Heh, I never did do that Time To Kill walkthrough you asked me to do many years ago...
Old 09-06-2008, 05:01 PM   #23
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

I like them Joe, very nice work. And with the XBL release close, should come in very handy for those out there not that familiar with the game.

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Old 09-07-2008, 10:26 AM   #24
themaniacboy

1 word: Awesome
Old 09-07-2008, 04:16 PM   #25
hightreason

It's great.
It was always Duke 64 i needed the walkthru's for though, I still dunno how to get into that place at the end of the street in level 1 (with the big doors that have black mesh over them).
Wait, i'm going off topic...
Anyhow, yeah, it's good.
Ever get the feeling you are being ignored?
Old 09-07-2008, 04:26 PM   #26
hightreason

i did forget to point out (though you may have thought of it already) is it would be cool if the Previous/next links were at the bottom of the pages as well.
Ever get the feeling you are being ignored?
Old 09-09-2008, 04:46 PM   #27
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Making some progress. I've got 7 of the 11 levels for Episode 2 done now. Hoping to be totally done with Episode 2 on Thursday, and start in in Episode 3 Friday.

Old 09-11-2008, 04:42 PM   #28
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Finished Episode 2!

Old 09-11-2008, 04:44 PM   #29
ZaphodB

Yay!!!!
Old 09-11-2008, 04:46 PM   #30
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Some of those levels were real pain to get all the secrets. Especially if you did not have a jetpack. Yes, I'm looking at you Lunar Reactor!

Dark Side was rough too, as there was one I thought I needed a jetpack for (turns out I didn't). I had to go back TWO levels to get a jetpack, and play my way back again. That really sucked. (The one I'm talking about was the one where you jump off the train)

Old 09-11-2008, 05:01 PM   #31
Ironside

Your getting into the areas where I need help.
Old 09-12-2008, 06:40 AM   #32
Chip

As an added bonus, are you going to add in all the "random texts" that are around the place?

Like "Bite me" found above one of the toilets in Lunar reactor or "You should not be here yet!" found at the very end of Raw meat (which needs DNclip for) and the many others....
Old 09-12-2008, 08:43 AM   #33
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
As an added bonus, are you going to add in all the "random texts" that are around the place?

Like "Bite me" found above one of the toilets in Lunar reactor or "You should not be here yet!" found at the very end of Raw meat (which needs DNclip for) and the many others....
No, I am not. There are way too many of those, and this project is taking long enough as it is. The odd thing like that is in there, but I'm not planning on covering every single thing, nor how to get every object and item in the game.

It's a walkthrough. I tell you how to finish the level, how to get all the secrets. That's what they're for.

Edit: There's no DNCLIP in here anyway, so you couldn't get to the one you're talking about anyway.

Last edited by Joe Siegler; 09-17-2008 at 12:32 PM.
Old 09-13-2008, 02:32 AM   #34
Micki!

Very Cool walkhrough... It's very user friendly with all the screenshots, too...
I never managed to find all secrets in Duke3D... Perhaps, i should folow this walkthrough once it's done to finally get it all...
Old 09-16-2008, 01:38 PM   #35
XTHX2

I see you've started to the 3rd Episode already Joe! Good luck for the rest, not much left!
Old 09-17-2008, 12:28 PM   #36
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Quote:
I see you've started to the 3rd Episode already Joe! Good luck for the rest, not much left!
http://www.3drealms.com/duke3d/walkthrough/e3m6.html

I just got done with Tier Drops. What a pain in the ass that was. There's no obvious "path" through the level, so I had to spend time figuring out what the level designer was trying to do. I couldn't figure it out, so I had to actually call Levelord on the phone. Fortunately he remembered.

Short of it is it was supposed to be a DM only map that got plopped into single player as a secret level, so there is no obvious way through the level except the 10 second path.

As for "not much left", my goal when I started this was to have it finished before Arcade comes out which is next Wednesday. That means I have to be done with it by close of business on Tuesday. We'll see if I can still make it.

Last edited by Joe Siegler; 09-17-2008 at 12:33 PM.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:24 PM   #37
Theminimonk

Quote:
http://www.3drealms.com/duke3d/walkthrough/e3m6.html

I just got done with Tier Drops. What a pain in the ass that was. There's no obvious "path" through the level, so I had to spend time figuring out what the level designer was trying to do. I couldn't figure it out, so I had to actually call Levelord on the phone. Fortunately he remembered.

Short of it is it was supposed to be a DM only map that got plopped into single player as a secret level, so there is no obvious way through the level except the 10 second path.

As for "not much left", my goal when I started this was to have it finished before Arcade comes out which is next Wednesday. That means I have to be done with it by close of business on Tuesday. We'll see if I can still make it.
We have faith in you Joe :P . Great walkthrough so far
Old 09-17-2008, 01:56 PM   #38
JustLikeMusic

Cool stuff.

Still cant believe you guys are just getting around to this.

I needed this about a decade ago, but nice work dude~
Old 09-17-2008, 03:21 PM   #39
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustLikeMusic View Post
Cool stuff.

Still cant believe you guys are just getting around to this.

I needed this about a decade ago, but nice work dude~
The main reason I never did one is it is a pain to get all the screenshots. With the old game, I'd be saving all over the place. The replay system has been in use QUITE a lot during my work on this project.

The devkit 360 in my office lets me take screenshots from my main computer, and keeps 'em there.

Old 09-17-2008, 04:16 PM   #40
alexgk

Nice work (in progress), Joe