Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Duke Nukem
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 03-02-2009, 01:16 PM   #41
NY00123
Re: Yet another netplay guider (YANG)
oak man: Yep, it requires to forward the relevant port numbers (see Settings -> Multiplayer and networking -> Networking, in YANG).

Timiditas: Apparently, it looks like the Dukester X website is not working as expected. The actual program can't retrieve lists, possibly due to Lycos' bankruptcy.

Shumika:
Now there may not be any nat free mode (I've removed it after figuring out it doesn't really do something useful, probably), but try one of these:
* I'm not sure, but I think that if you forward your UDP port, the game should work even if your mate doesn't forward it.
* If your mate has forwarded it, then has it been done to the correct local IP?
Old 03-13-2009, 11:50 AM   #42
Airjoe12
Awesome job, way better than DukesterX. Uploading maps, easily use multiple ports, no bothering with internal/external IPs, wonderful!

One nice feature might be a toggle "ready" button for players (that actually does something, unlike Dukester's). What would also be really neat if possible would be a global chat. That is, a chat when you're not even in a room.

Really digg this, looking forward to kicking some ass online.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:15 PM   #43
HellFire

Yeah ,a global chat would be a really nice addition to this program. Also, it needs to show the ping of the players when inside a room.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:03 PM   #44
Shumika

Needs an option to bann unwanted persons, the kick is not enought because they can come back again...
Old 03-17-2009, 07:56 PM   #45
William Gee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shumika View Post
Needs an option to bann unwanted persons, the kick is not enought because they can come back again...
Yeah It really needs this. But YANG is awesome, and now everyone has moved from DukesterX over to YANG.

One of the things that bugs me is the way it orders maps. In lower case and then again in upper case, cant they all just go together in alphabetical order?
Old 03-17-2009, 08:36 PM   #46
The Commander

The only thing that is anoying me about it is that sometimes someone will drop out of the room and you won't know about it because it still says they are in the room.

Duke Nukem Red Alert SVN

Ask Me Anything!
Old 03-20-2009, 07:14 AM   #47
crawley
Hello,

I'm trying to run a dukematch with some of my friends via yang, but we are not able to start the game properly.

So I have got some questions, perhaps someone of you can give me some hints...

1. Does it matter if we are running eduke32 on different systems (Linux/Windows)?

2. Is it necessary that we all use the same version of eduke? I have installed a deb-package from the site of ny00123. I think the source code is modified, so the Win-binary from 2008-12-15 is different even it is the same day's snapshot...

3. Do all players have got the same duke3d.grp-file?

Thanks in advance,
Greetings from Germany
crawley
Last edited by crawley; 03-20-2009 at 07:17 AM.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:57 AM   #48
The Commander

Yes you all need the same version of eduke32.exe (does not matter if its Windows or Linux as long as they are the same version, it will let you know if you are not using the same versions) and you all need the same version of Duke Nukem 3D (duke3d.grp file) be it Atomic or 1.3.

Duke Nukem Red Alert SVN

Ask Me Anything!
Old 03-20-2009, 11:26 PM   #49
crawley
Hmmm,

so I am afraid it will be impossible to play against a Win-user via eduke32 if I am using the deb-Package of ny00123. I will ask him via PM, too.

Thank you!

edit: BTW do different versions of the HRP have a negative effect on gameplay, too?

crawley
Last edited by crawley; 03-21-2009 at 01:12 AM.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:26 AM   #50
NY00123
To crawley and anybody else whom it may concern,
the Linux packages from my website may not be up to date all the time.
Notice that the latest version of the snapshot available (from eduke32.com) is 20090313. You may compile it from source and then use it with other users.

You following may help a bit for the compilation of EDuke32:
http://wiki.eduke32.com/wiki/Building_EDuke32_on_Linux
Last edited by NY00123; 03-21-2009 at 08:30 AM.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:19 AM   #51
Parkar

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawley View Post
Hmmm,

so I am afraid it will be impossible to play against a Win-user via eduke32 if I am using the deb-Package of ny00123. I will ask him via PM, too.

Thank you!

edit: BTW do different versions of the HRP have a negative effect on gameplay, too?

crawley
HRP version shouldn't make any diference. You can even play a version running in classic vs one using the HRP. It has 0 effect on the actual gameplay. This ofcourse does not include using mods like sd_duke or dukeplus.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:57 AM   #52
The Commander

People using the HRP in online games of Duke is some what anoying because it drasticly increases the loading/waiting for player time at the start and should be avoided if possible.

Duke Nukem Red Alert SVN

Ask Me Anything!
Old 03-21-2009, 11:46 AM   #53
crawley
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY00123 View Post
the Linux packages from my website may not be up to date all the time.
Yes, but as far as I played, it worked pretty well for me, so I thought it is not necessary to compile it myself. I am just wondering if a Win-user can play with me if he uses the snapshot of 2008-12-15?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY00123 View Post
You following may help a bit for the compilation of EDuke32:
http://wiki.eduke32.com/wiki/Building_EDuke32_on_Linux
Thank you
crawley
Old 03-21-2009, 05:33 PM   #54
crawley
Cool Re: Yet another netplay guider (YANG)
OK, after my first few hours with playing Duke against some old friends (Bankroll - my favourite - small and deadly, Hollywood Holocaust), it is obvious that our main problem is connection-related. The cable between Germany and Belgium seems to be broken. I still don't know if there is any problem between eduke on Win or on Linux. The Linux-users (all settled in Germany) were alright. :-)

I built eduke32 from the current source and it worked out fine.

crawley
Old 03-25-2009, 04:46 PM   #55
crawley
Another question...
Ist peer2peer limited for 2 players (as said in the name)? We did not get it working...

crawley
Last edited by crawley; 03-25-2009 at 04:49 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:07 PM   #56
William Gee

I always use p2p with more than 2 player, had 6 players under p2p once.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:33 AM   #57
NY00123
It may be limited in JFSW; Not sure about SWP.
Last edited by NY00123; 03-26-2009 at 12:42 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:54 PM   #58
soulmate

I just had the idea of using YANG next time my friends and me are going to duke on LAN...
but this brought up some question:

1. does it work over lan ?

2. if not over lan, then we'll use it over the internet..but is there a way to password protect our room?

3. how can I switch freindly fire on/off for co-op ?

thx in advance =)
Old 03-30-2009, 03:30 PM   #59
William Gee

1: Don't know
2: You can stop advertising your room and also make it only 2 player.
3: When in game Go to options Turn friendly fire of.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:33 PM   #60
The Commander

1. Yes, but you have to join manually (the boxes at the bottom) by entering the hosts INTERNAL IP adress, not external.

Duke Nukem Red Alert SVN

Ask Me Anything!
Old 03-31-2009, 09:34 AM   #61
soulmate

thx guys
Old 04-04-2009, 08:29 PM   #62
hightreason

Only just got round to trying this out properly, is says that my port is not forwarded, but it is.
When i started it up again it says it cant get a list of servers because there are too many connections to my address and then crashes.

I know about port forwarding and stuff, and thats all set up right on my network server (i dont like routers so i use server instead)

Any ideas?
Ever get the feeling you are being ignored?
Old 04-05-2009, 12:53 AM   #63
NY00123
hightreason,

In case you've got a non-static local IP, check that the ports are forwarded to the correct IP. I know what I'm talking about from experience
Furthermore, as mentioned within YANG, you need to forward the server port as TCP, and the game port as UDP.
If for any reason that doesn't work - well, then I don't know. The best I can tell is to try different port numbers.
Regarding the message you've got (excluding the crash) - This is basically what should happen when the master server detects a certain amount of connections from the same IP (e.g. more than 8). Why does it happen? It's quite rare, there may be a few 'lost' connections which haven't got disconnected for some reason - or too fast trials to refresh the server list, etc.
Finally, the crash - I've heard of that before. Maybe when I find some time I fix that, I don't know, heh.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:04 PM   #64
hightreason

Hmm, i tried a different port but it still doesnt work yet, i'll keep trying.
I haven't had that error again and i had a graphics card failure shortly afterwards (which isnt because of YANG obviously, it's just because the card was rubbish and old) which might have somehow caused the crash (because the card also screwed with the sound card when it was starting to die, who knows what else it might have done)
If all else fails i shall blame it on my ISP, because they arent too good.

I'm sure that i will probably get it going in the end, it looks like a good program anyway, i especially like the DOSBOX support option.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:51 PM   #65
Poda

After getting this to work, I realize this is a nice program. We should keep a checklist of things to do. Here are some suggestions I have:

1. Add a centralized chat lobby so people can talk.

2. Make game list column headings removable, reorderable, and sortable.

3. Remove support for Rancidmeat and JFDuke (may give the false impression that it's ok to play those online).

4. Uncouple the skill setting with the monster setting. Some people like to list a skill setting as a subliminal message. So, would be cool to have a separate monster setting, then the skill settings. Also, there are actually 5 skill settings. The easiest is unnamed in the game. I guess we could call it "Too Easy".

5. I've noticed times where it shows people in games for a bit after they've left. So, might have to make it disconnect them faster.

6. Make it show everyone's IP by their name when you highlight a game lobby. Good for scouting.

7. I almost forgot (thanks shark). A new name!? Here are some: +TEN, DEBS+36, BB, Respawn, Caust.

That's all I can think of for now. Great work so far.
Last edited by Poda; 04-05-2009 at 01:58 PM.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:02 PM   #66
Micky C

just have a few questions about compatibility

1. Is it ok if someone uses the HRP and others don't, and does it affect frame rates?
2. If I use DukePlus enhancer and others don't.
3. Can I join an xDuke game if I have eduke32.

4. What's the deal with joining a room after the game is started? To you enter the game instantly or what?

Thx in advance and YANG seems awesome. There always seems to be at least one room going whenever I check (unfortunately for me the majority of them are xDuke)
Old 04-18-2009, 08:11 PM   #67
William Gee

1 Yes it affects
2 Everyone needs to be using the same stuff or the game wont work.
3 You can only play a Xduke game with xduke, and you can only play a Eduke32 game with Eduke32, though both ports can be in your folder. I play both Xduke games and Eduke32 games because I have both ports set up.
4 You can't join a game after its started.
5 Do you have Xduke? If not, get it. If you do, pitty it doesnt work.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:16 PM   #68
Micky C

Thanks for the help, I'll get xDuke. Perhaps joining games after they've started is a feature that could be added to the next version of YANG, if it's possible.

Um, can someone provide a link to xDuke?
Last edited by Micky C; 04-18-2009 at 09:33 PM.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:32 PM   #69
The Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micky C View Post
Thanks for the help, I'll get xDuke. Perhaps joining games after they've started is a feature that could be added to the next version of YANG, if it's possible.
Impossible, Thats a Duke related issue and has nothing to do with YANG.

Duke Nukem Red Alert SVN

Ask Me Anything!
Old 04-18-2009, 11:36 PM   #70
Dopefish7590

Yeah, all the ports so far detect the other players on game launch, and not during gameplay. YANG isn't a port, but a way to host and join games for a port.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:51 AM   #71
TerminX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micky C View Post

Um, can someone provide a link to xDuke?
I frown on people linking to xDuke on these forums because the "author" chooses to steal peoples code, paste his name all over it, and break the law by ignoring the licensing terms the Duke Nukem 3D source was released under. By refusing to follow the terms of the GPL, he pretty much chooses to shit all over everyone who can actually program and who release things for free as open source. It's a good thing he's so irrelevant.
Old 04-19-2009, 03:38 PM   #72
HellFire

TerminX, i understand why youre pissed off with xduke author, if he stealed code from you and didnt give the propper credits then its very bad, but i dont see the problem in dont releasing the source code ??? yeah its illegal or something, but put in mind that xDuke is designed for multiplayer, if he releases the source code, there would be a lot of hackers/cheaters around. Look what happened with ZDaemon some years ago, fortunately they had the great idea to dont publish the source code anymore, and i think theyre right. Unfortunately, theres an K key hack (coop vision for dm) and aimbot for xDuke. I dont know how they did that without the source (maybe they used the xDuke 19.6 source code as a base since the author of xDuke only releases the source of old versions). Well anyway ill allert of somethign ( i dont know if you care though) The nickname of the author of the aimbot hack for xDuke is "Tsug", i noticed that someone with the same nickname was asking in the Eduke32 topic on how to compile it, it can be just coincidence... but i think he is the same person and hes creating an aimbot hack for eduke32.
Old 04-19-2009, 05:54 PM   #73
TerminX

I don't like the "author" because he's a retard. He signed up for these forums and posted links to his site which had the full version of duke3d.grp on it at the time and got banned after only 4 or so posts, decided he had been banned because I was "jealous of his work" then went to Wikipedia and started a bunch of edit wars trying to remove all references to EDuke32 from the page on Duke3D, then made a bunch of crazy posts on some forums about how I'm some evil, malicious person, blah blah blah.

He was even digging through tons of pages of Google results for "TerminX" and finding old forum flamewars and shit from when I was 15 or so (almost 10 years ago) and trying to use them to make me look bad. It was pretty funny. He pulled that crap for almost a year. I'm pretty sure there's something wrong with him.

The funny thing is, he has this site: http://vision.gel.ulaval.ca/~klein/ which actually makes him look like a pretty intelligent individual, barring the fact that it was made in Microsoft Word. Unfortunately, a cute little page full of personal achievements doesn't seem to mean shit, as this guy has shown time and time again that he's a complete moron.

Oh, and if anyone comes up with an aimbot for EDuke32, I'd be perfectly happy to come up with some kind of basic anti-cheat system.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:18 PM   #74
The Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerminX View Post
Oh, and if anyone comes up with an aimbot for EDuke32, I'd be perfectly happy to come up with some kind of basic anti-cheat system.
Bring back the good old CD Check, hell why your at it put in some DRM protection.

Duke Nukem Red Alert SVN

Ask Me Anything!
Old 04-19-2009, 06:24 PM   #75
moggimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Commander View Post
Bring back the good old CD Check, hell why your at it put in some DRM protection.
No thank you.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:40 PM   #76
hightreason

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerminX View Post
I don't like the "author" because he's a retard.

Hmm, really? Well, i'll never use xDuke again, there's also a guy called Bero who didn't make his Duke 3D source code readily available, i did obtain it in the end, but not from him, he had long dissapeared, i hate people who do that - thoug it might have been an accident in his case, because he did at least credit everyone.

And about the anticheat for EDuke32, awesome, because i hate people who cheat, i will be among the first to inform you if i see any aimbots for it. I'm definitely fed up with that kind of thing, been on halo all day and had aimbotters and hackers in my damn server.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:22 AM   #77
Micky C

Why are there so many rooms with xDuke anyway? I've always used eduke32 and it comes with the HRP installer.

So why do people use xDuke in the first place? does it have any advantages over eduke32?
Old 04-21-2009, 04:42 AM   #78
William Gee

DukesterX didn't have very good Eduke32 support, so everyone used xduke, when YANG came, most people stuck with xduke because they always used it, though people are now moving over to eduke32 cause YANG has good eduke32 support.

No there is no advantage that I know of to use xduke, other than most people have it.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:26 AM   #79
NY00123
Well, actually, there was some hacked version of Dukester X with Duke3d_w32 replaced with EDuke32. Same was done with xDuke, although most people may use the original Dukester X release, using xDuke as the "Duke3d_w32" port.
I believe it's the networking code where, up to several months ago, EDuke32 lacked.
This is no longer the case, since someone has incorporated the networking code from Duke3d_w32.
Another possible reason is that xDuke seemed more classic (e.g. similarity to DOS Duke, level of compatibility with old demo files). A few people just prefer DOS Duke for that, though.
Last edited by NY00123; 04-21-2009 at 06:07 AM.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:10 AM   #80
Timiditas
No Re: Yet another netplay guider (YANG)
Thats right. Most people just use it. When I open a eDuke32 room, nobody joins it. So I installed xduke as well. I'm getting rid of it now, however.