Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Other Apogee/3D Realms Games > Shadow Warrior Source Code
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 02-16-2009, 11:40 AM   #1
darkportrait

Dopefish help!?
i played all the build engine games! and now i am going to take my shot at editing them! so here is my question.

for shadow warrior there are things i want to edit and i am not sure how to they are:

for shadow warrior the 3dr logo at the beginning the lo wang animation after that and then shadow warrior logo! i am not sure of the location of these files i opened up the .art files and found the stuff for the menu but nothing else could some one direct me into the right direction.

secondly how would i change the ninja stars into a handgun i have the textures but how would i do this programming/engine and graphic ways?

btw i have some programming knowledge and some knowledge of the build engines as i have tried to experiment with it 4 years ago, and recently it is a great engine but once i can edit everything i can i can make a great game!
Old 02-17-2009, 07:27 AM   #2
darkportrait

Re: help!?
ok ppl who dont wanna read or dont understand!

i wanna edit the 3dr logo,lo wangs intro animation, and the main logo (the one thats behind the menu)

and i dont know how could some one help me
Old 02-17-2009, 09:50 AM   #3
HellFire

Im not sure but i think they are in the animation files (.anm) not in the .art.
I think theres a utility that allows you to create new .anm, but im not sure if it works with SW. Search in rtcm, you may find... http://archive.dukertcm.com/

About the shuriken replacement i think its not possible, SW ports dont offer much editing possibilities.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:53 AM   #4
darkportrait

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellFire View Post
Im not sure but i think they are in the animation files (.anm) not in the .art.
I think theres a utility that allows you to create new .anm, but im not sure if it works with SW. Search in rtcm, you may find... http://archive.dukertcm.com/

About the shuriken replacement i think its not possible, SW ports dont offer much editing possibilities.
oh well thxs for the info becuase i am willing to rewrite some of the code but is there a .grp explorer becuase i really hate manually extracting random things from the .grp files with kextract

K well i found the shadow wariior animation which i wanted but now i dont know were the 3dr logo i?
Last edited by darkportrait; 02-17-2009 at 11:10 AM.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:59 PM   #5
Phayzon

I remember someone on these forums made a program called GRPView or GRP Viewer or something, but I dont remember who or where to find it anymore. I suggest Google
Old 02-17-2009, 08:35 PM   #6
hightreason

http://freewebs.com/hctreason/fileview.tar.gz
I assume you are in windows, read the readme, the files have to be in C:\Program Files\FileView and you have to open the registry file to make it work.
After a restart, right click the .grp and press fileview.
It works with other files as well.
Ever get the feeling you are being ignored?
Old 02-18-2009, 07:38 AM   #7
darkportrait

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightreason View Post
http://freewebs.com/hctreason/fileview.tar.gz
I assume you are in windows, read the readme, the files have to be in C:\Program Files\FileView and you have to open the registry file to make it work.
After a restart, right click the .grp and press fileview.
It works with other files as well.
finally thxs just what i was looking for!! ill have to go turn on my windows box and try it out, too bad wine aint so good for editing/using the build engine
Old 02-18-2009, 05:58 PM   #8
Mr.Fibbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phayzon View Post
I remember someone on these forums made a program called GRPView or GRP Viewer or something, but I dont remember who or where to find it anymore. I suggest Google
Roma Loom (to a thread with the link)
Old 02-19-2009, 07:25 AM   #9
darkportrait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Fibbles View Post
Roma Loom (to a thread with the link)
LINK IS DOWN? HERE IS A MIRROR http://dukerepository.com/index.php?getFile=1649

k well ppl that solved one problem now how whould i go about editing the shurikens/darts into a 9mm handgun i know graphic wise but i want it to shoot bullets not stars, who could help me with that? programming wise or any other way how??
Last edited by darkportrait; 02-19-2009 at 07:44 AM.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:14 AM   #10
hightreason

this isnt tomething i've tried, and it's hardcoded, so you'd need the source code and you'd need to tamper with that, therefore you'd end up with a completely different .exe file (well, it would be different in some respects)
Old 02-19-2009, 10:28 AM   #11
darkportrait

Quote:
this isnt tomething i've tried, and it's hardcoded, so you'd need the source code and you'd need to tamper with that, therefore you'd end up with a completely different .exe file (well, it would be different in some respects)
i know its hardcoded i was just wondering if there was an easier way....

anyways could you or someone help me change the programming in it becuase i am really busy recently and i would appreciate it, i could put you in the creds or somthing..... its easy to do apperantly but im busy.... i tried but there was no effect its located in weapons.c and weapons.h if any programmers wanna help feel free
Old 02-19-2009, 11:15 AM   #12
hightreason

what port are you using? or is it the original source code?
I might take a quick look, but im not promising anything as i'm working on mods of my own right now.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:06 PM   #13
darkportrait

Quote:
what port are you using? or is it the original source code?
I might take a quick look, but im not promising anything as i'm working on mods of my own right now.
I am using the original source for it!
P.S oh btw cool site even though its on freewebs ;P i reccomend hostrator free 10gigs storage free php, ftp access and whole crapload of stuff www.hostrator.com
Last edited by darkportrait; 02-21-2009 at 01:09 PM.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:41 PM   #14
Nimoy

You cant, and if I were you, I'd stop now. As your gross misuse of the English language is representative of you, I'd never play your mod ever because you probably lack the skills to release anything decent, if at all.

Shadow Warrior is one of the hardest ones to modify.
The feeling is definitely there. It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits. We dont just want to survive, we want to succeed. - President of the USA, "They Live"
Old 02-21-2009, 11:02 AM   #15
darkportrait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimoy View Post
You cant, and if I were you, I'd stop now. As your gross misuse of the English language is representative of you, I'd never play your mod ever because you probably lack the skills to release anything decent, if at all.

Shadow Warrior is one of the hardest ones to modify.
geez maybie if you cant make it happen doesnt mean it aint possible! for second i am a graphics artist and media developer not a programmer so i am in need of help not listning to idiots rant on about nothing, third of all my grammer is bad i know doesnt mean people have to god damn insult it, lemme just say this what if i was spanish (which im not) and didnt know english that much would you still insult me?
and last of all my skills are really good i have gotten a video game published for sakes!!!, and i dont care if you don't play it at all or any of your ignorant friends either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy-vercetti View Post
Why so hostile, you dont know his modding skills at all.
thxs
Last edited by darkportrait; 02-21-2009 at 11:09 AM.
Old 02-21-2009, 02:58 PM   #16
Nimoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkportrait View Post
geez maybie if you cant make it happen doesnt mean it aint possible! for second i am a graphics artist and media developer not a programmer so i am in need of help not listning to idiots rant on about nothing, third of all my grammer is bad i know doesnt mean people have to god damn insult it, lemme just say this what if i was spanish (which im not) and didnt know english that much would you still insult me?
and last of all my skills are really good i have gotten a video game published for sakes!!!, and i dont care if you don't play it at all or any of your ignorant friends either.

thxs
I'd still rag on ye if you were Spanish, because English is a second language in ol' Spain.

Also, your skills obviously ARENT that good, since you're asking for help on something that is nigh on impossible to mod. Go play any other Shadow Warrior mod, and it just replaces graphics. Learn to mod something a little easier, like Duke.
The feeling is definitely there. It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits. We dont just want to survive, we want to succeed. - President of the USA, "They Live"
Old 02-21-2009, 09:24 PM   #17
darkportrait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimoy View Post
I'd still rag on ye if you were Spanish, because English is a second language in ol' Spain.

Also, your skills obviously ARENT that good, since you're asking for help on something that is nigh on impossible to mod. Go play any other Shadow Warrior mod, and it just replaces graphics. Learn to mod something a little easier, like Duke.
if i were to mod duke were would the chalenge be?? and i said my programming is NOT the best! thats why im asking people who can program to help me my main thing is with graphics, and then if all else fails i will mod duke3d
Old 02-21-2009, 11:09 PM   #18
Nimoy

There are no programmers, only one guy is working on a source port. Modding Shadow Warrior is beyond a challenge, its an unneccesary chore.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:56 AM   #19
darkportrait

Quote:
Sore by trying to mod SW without success?
lol i think he is!
Old 02-22-2009, 01:26 PM   #20
hitman71

Although Nimoy is rather too vigorous in his posting, he is mostly right. He can't mod a game if he's not a coder and doesn't know HOW to mod SWarrior in the first place apart from a simple gfx replacement mod. I guess models ingame can be replaced, but the only real modding would be from the original source code.

DarkPortrait, theres very few active coders here for SWarrior. Those that are active are coding the SWarrior ports and addon tools and are likely not interested in a impossible task like you are thinking of doing. If they were interested in modding SW to that level, then they'd be doing it already.

So, whats the game you have published and what other graphics or games have you modded ?
Old 02-22-2009, 01:42 PM   #21
Nimoy

Quote:
Sore by trying to mod SW without success?
Not at all. I know very well what can and cannot be done in the game, and its the very reason I never attempted.
Old 02-22-2009, 01:47 PM   #22
darkportrait

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman71 View Post
Although Nimoy is rather too vigorous in his posting, he is mostly right. He can't mod a game if he's not a coder and doesn't know HOW to mod SWarrior in the first place apart from a simple gfx replacement mod. I guess models ingame can be replaced, but the only real modding would be from the original source code.

DarkPortrait, theres very few active coders here for SWarrior. Those that are active are coding the SWarrior ports and addon tools and are likely not interested in a impossible task like you are thinking of doing. If they were interested in modding SW to that level, then they'd be doing it already.

So, whats the game you have published and what other graphics or games have you modded ?
i understand were both of you are coming from and i do know it is possible and hard but i am willing to take up the challenge and even if it does take quite a while i will finish it i have the graphics all ready and just need to replace one weapon so far and thats pretty much all i need to do right now.

well you see we will be modding the source code but one of my team members is left us for a while so im kinda looking for a new person to help with my mod.

im a 3d/2d artist and havent really modded many games while i know how, and the game we got published was a 2 in one game which one game used torque and the other was made with another engine i cant remember but one game was a fps shooter and the other was a platformer game, they were sold only in winnipeg at a local store that published it (it was small time) and they never got around to making a webstite for it but they games are being remade and might be republished big time some time when we are done! we made around $2000 all together which was ok for us as we are indie game developers so yeahh...

we have like 5 projects being worked on and loosing our main programmer is kinda really bad so thats why i was looking here!

if anyone is experienced with atari2600 dissassembly or development pm me we are looking for a replacement becuase our game will be published when done on atariage!

Or has a mac os x lemme know so u can help us!

hope that awnsers your question and i realize that this is going to be a hard and long task but it will be done some time or another! like i said with lots of projects some are going to delayed.

(sorry for the long posts when i start typing its like i cant stop!)
Last edited by darkportrait; 02-22-2009 at 01:54 PM.