Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Duke Nukem > Duke Nukem Forever
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 04-19-2010, 04:28 PM   #41
alex d
Re: how would you like DNF being revealed?
Given how unlikely it looks to happen any time soon, I'd say the end of MS's press conference at the start of E3 would be the best place for such a hypothetical unvieling. They have a record of ending their E3 conferences with the unlikeliest of announcements over the last few years.

I mean, two years ago, the chances of DNF being released was compared to the chance of Final Fantasy or Metal Gear Solid coming out on the 360. That annalogy lasted long. They topped 2008's FF13 announcement with 2009's MGS:Rising announcement. How can they top that this year? It's not like there's a Gears or Halo waiting to be announced. Hypothetically speaking, that would be the most impactful time to announce DNF's release
Old 04-19-2010, 05:31 PM   #42
KaiserSoze

While I doubt DNF will appear at E3 and 3dr's stance is pretty clear on the issue(re: attending E3s), it would absolutely be the most talked about/hyped/exciting announcement at the show, bar none.

Thinking about it more, if there really is hope DNF is being worked on/finished up.....E3 *SHOULD* be the venue that Duke Nukem comes back to with a
vengeance. He needs to remind everyone who the "original" alien ass kicker is.
Last edited by KaiserSoze; 04-19-2010 at 05:34 PM.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:28 PM   #43
Duke's New Chainsaw

Remember... there is a trailer waiting to be shown.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:16 AM   #44
pjVgt

21GB uncompressed beta to download for free on 3d realms site
Old 04-20-2010, 05:30 AM   #45
JobivanHiob

DNC is right...now just the situation must be the right one.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:19 AM   #46
SpinX

I can't see E3 being the situation they are waiting for... they need to grab attention before E3 (teaser + official confirmation of game existence) and then blow everybody away with a remake of the 2001 trailer with the current build

http://www.youtube.com/user/ftbfelix
Old 04-20-2010, 12:33 PM   #47
fast-1

They need to promote there product, so who's first.
Last edited by fast-1; 04-20-2010 at 02:38 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:36 PM   #48
chaosomega

I cant see any of this happening.. So many years ahead of time.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:34 PM   #49
joey007

I strongly doubt it being announced at e3, i just don't think they'll be ready..
Old 04-20-2010, 10:37 PM   #50
Zero71
No. I want a 30 Second ad. Duke shooting an alien with a devastator gun and a girl right behind him, then some Cheesy "lets Rock" or "Come Get some" to signify....... Lets rock this game hardcore because its out bitches. No warning nothing Just BAM!! On the shelves.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:42 PM   #51
Duke's New Chainsaw

I'm pretty sure they'll want to show it off. Not drop it on the shelves like a red-headed step child.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:12 AM   #52
Zero71
yea but think of it like this, your at the store. and you didnt know that duke nukem forever was out right? u pick it up and immediately purchase the fuggin game. because they only make so many copies and the store only has so many to sell, you gotta be the one to buy it before someone else does, IMO it would boost sales.. a bunch.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:51 AM   #53
alex d
Artificially limitting supplies wouldn't boost sales, neither would releasing it without any marketing campeign. Sure, hardcore fans would orgasm and grab the game the moment they saw it, but those same hardcore fans would know before they reached a store. Games that "just" hit the shelves without any sort of pre-release press, advertising and build up generally don't sell too well because the average consumer doesn't know it's a big new release and would pass it over.

In this electronic day and age, it would also be impossible for the game to hit the stores before anyone knew about it. Games arrive days before they're released, so shop employees would know and spread the word that it's out and that's just the end of the chain, so to speak. As soon as it goes through the ratings boards like ESRB it would be "found out" as they tend to publish all their ratings quite promptly, a number of games have been accidently "announced" by such ratings being found. From then on, there's a lot of steps between going gold and hitting the shelves, which means many people will know about it long before release day.

In my opinion, the game would need a good 4 to 6 months of pre-release build up to get the average gamer's interest rolling again.
Old 04-24-2010, 12:22 PM   #54
prophecy holder

Actually 3DR doesn't have to do any marketing at all. It's infamous for being the long delayed game that almost drove a company into bankruptcy.

It's kinda like how the L4D2 boycott gave all the marketing L4D2 needed leaving the $25 million marketing stunt to be practically useless.
"Ever since I was a little boy, dressing up has always been...my greatest joy. But when It's time to be discreet, there is one thing you just can't beat and that's a strapless backless classical little black dress"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e4BCOrLmJ0
Old 04-24-2010, 02:37 PM   #55
Xgthug

They should sell the first 5 copies on e-bay. That would be interesting.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:14 PM   #56
bazboyz

Get the TAPS guys in (Ghost Hunters) .Having an abandoned software development building getting strange noises coming from rooms ,shadowy shapes on the wall the guys run out screaming and when they do the reveal the say this is what caused all the trouble and produced DNF and then say it be in stores on x date
Old 04-25-2010, 01:08 AM   #57
hightreason

OK, I've got one, all these cheap leaflets get posted for some free music festival thing featuring such bands as: (Insert some no name cover bands here)

Loads of people would turn up - mostly for the drugs and boze I expect - and when they get there there is a massive stage with a big curtain on it, which opens to reveal a big screen playing the DNF trailer that flashes subliminal messages and a release date with some band (Can't think who they could get, because the music I listen to came out before 1969 - with the exception of VGM) playing live infront of it. Now that would be one hell of a way to reveal a game.

As for the 21Gb beta download - that'd make me laugh, because it wouldn't be free for most people, if I downloaded something like that the ISP would go nuts and empty my bank account for the "Additional Service Charges"
Ever get the feeling you are being ignored?
Old 04-25-2010, 06:29 AM   #58
KO Gilligan

Throw it up on Steam without any news release warning.

Games are dissected and evaluated to death before they're even released, I think a surprise release would go completely viral and all the nay sayers would be caught off-point. Just because every release has pre-order mayhem doesn't make it the best marketing strategy, especially for games that are highly anticipated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightreason View Post
As for the 21Gb beta download - that'd make me laugh, because it wouldn't be free for most people, if I downloaded something like that the ISP would go nuts and empty my bank account for the "Additional Service Charges"
Demo as a blu-ray disk in PC Gamer
Last edited by KO Gilligan; 04-25-2010 at 06:32 AM.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:55 AM   #59
Tekkaman_Zack
Knock knock!
Who's there?
Not DNF.
Not DNF who?
NOT DNF, YOU LONG-EARED BASTARD! :3

Old 04-25-2010, 04:09 PM   #60
MegaMustaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Gilligan View Post
Throw it up on Steam without any news release warning.

Games are dissected and evaluated to death before they're even released, I think a surprise release would go completely viral and all the nay sayers would be caught off-point. Just because every release has pre-order mayhem doesn't make it the best marketing strategy, especially for games that are highly anticipated.
You know what is a bad marketing strategy? No marketing at all.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:26 PM   #61
KO Gilligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaMustaine View Post
You know what is a bad marketing strategy? No marketing at all.
Let's go to E3 months ahead of time.... Let's release exclusive insider content too... Let's get reviewers to rate it based on "previews", then let's unleash it everywhere so that all distribution points compete on the price over the first 3 weeks...

Oh, that's right, that's what they tried to do already - how'd that work out for them? Does that ALWAYS work out best for games that DO get released?

If you think DNF won't get market exposure and shelf space (Serious Sam comes to mind), your wrong. Sure, a Superbowl ad never hurts, but to what end? I'm just saying go ahead and let it go viral, then advertise it a couple days later with some big venue.

You have to realize that armchair developers are chomping at the bit to exclaim how outdated and crappy it is, why give them a head start by doing the usual pre-release (and now way too familiar with this title) shenanigans? It's not always the best way - I'm quite certain of that.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:02 PM   #62
wayskobfssae

1. Purchase an L.A. sports stadium.
2. Bioengineer a really huge one-eyed freak and unleash it in said stadium during a sporting event.
3. Send in guy dressed as Duke armed with big guns, who then kills really huge one-eyed freak.
4. On the jumbotron, an ad comes on and the classic "Dah dah dat!!! Dah dah dat!!" starts playing.

......when dreaming about the impossible....... dream big.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:19 AM   #63
Alexander

OK, if... Just IF George is planning to go to E3 (again, just theory),
I would do it like this:

Get a stand for DNF but keep it covered behind a curtain or something (top secret).
If there is a guest list, 3DR should be named "unknown" or something like that. Keep it silent! Keep it secret!
Ok, back at the stand...
The only thing visible to the audience is a large LCD display, or a huge monitor wich shows a countdown (let's say to 6pm or so) and the words:
"MELTDOWN IN:" nothing more.

Since the Hall is pretty big (at least I think it is), I would fuel the peoples curiosity with 15 or 20 absolutely HOT chicks
in Atomic bikinis and thongs, just walking arround, teasing the audience, but don't give away specific info about the product.

Additional to that, I would play an hourly countdown status over the speaker system. Imagine a woman with the most erotic voice you can find in L.A., that should do the job!
When the countdown is over, a huge atomic explosion is palyed followed by the newest version of the grabbag theme. Curtains go up
(better if they would just burn off, but that's to dangerous) and DNF is revealed by George, Scott and special guest John Saint John.

OK, it might not be everybodys taste of cource, but what ever happens,
don't take the babes away!!! PLEASE!
Old 04-28-2010, 05:50 AM   #64
JobivanHiob

freaking awesome idea alex!

Best idea I ever heared!
Old 04-28-2010, 12:20 PM   #65
Attila

This is a WIN but the words: "MELTDOWN IN" would give it away.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:36 PM   #66
Duke's New Chainsaw

More than the scantly clad women with nuclear symbols covering their naughty bits?
Old 04-28-2010, 01:23 PM   #67
Rösti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila View Post
This is a WIN but the words: "MELTDOWN IN" would give it away.
How about it says "STEVE".
Old 04-28-2010, 03:00 PM   #68
Alexander

Quote:
Originally Posted by JobivanHiob View Post
freaking awesome idea alex!

Best idea I ever heared!
Thanks man! Glad you like it .
Old 05-08-2010, 07:40 AM   #69
TBZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rösti View Post
Old 05-08-2010, 10:08 AM   #70
alexgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rösti View Post
E3 wouldn't be able to hold so much awesomeness
Old 05-08-2010, 12:12 PM   #71
AndrewOfHell
A TV add of Duke Nukem pipebombing all previous games ever made, only to stare at the camera and snarl:

"You ain't a man til you play this".

^^
Old 06-11-2010, 04:29 PM   #72
KO Gilligan

Bumping a Jobi thread in celebration
Old 06-11-2010, 04:46 PM   #73
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Celebration of what?
A settlement? Anyone with half a brain knew they lawsuit would settle, it was in the best interest of both companies. Doesn't mean either side won... and we still know nothing.

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Old 06-11-2010, 04:49 PM   #74
KO Gilligan

good point I agree - I think I'd like DNF to be reveled by George himself in one of Jobi's threads

Thanks for the idea :thumbsup:
Old 06-11-2010, 04:50 PM   #75
WoodenSword

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_Azreal View Post
Celebration of what?
A settlement? Anyone with half a brain knew they lawsuit would settle, it was in the best interest of both companies. Doesn't mean either side won... and we still know nothing.
yes but there are THREE good things:

1) No more legal problems for speaking about DNF
2) Duke IP still in 3DR hands as for the time that we speak (manhattan project release for e.g)
3) Negotiations could take for years, but this didn't
Old 06-11-2010, 04:54 PM   #76
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Gilligan View Post
good point I agree - I think I'd like DNF to be reveled by George himself in one of Jobi's threads

Thanks for the idea :thumbsup:
If any kind of "reveal" is done... it will be done on the front page of the website... and have it's own thread.

Not sure what "idea'" you got there, but way to many of you guys see things you want to see in posts in this section of the forum.

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Old 06-11-2010, 04:54 PM   #77
WarThrash

Quote:
Celebration of what?
I was going to post this exact comment but after all of the waiting for this settlement I've decided to be a little more optimistic. I hoped it would happen for a very long time after all
Old 06-11-2010, 04:58 PM   #78
KO Gilligan

Quote:
way to many of you guys see things you want to see in posts in this section of the forum.
I'm a realist - find a single post that proves otherwise. What we see is the positives in the news, and we share optimism.

How about you?

In my world, we're not upset when others are happy.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:01 PM   #79
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Oh I'm excited. I'm a huge Duke fan, it was my main reason for joining this forum. And for a LONG time after 3DR closed I had "I believe in Duke" in my sig.

And while I hope that one day we do get to play DNF, and I constantly hope for new, amazing news to surface.... it doesn't do any good to get overly excited over every little bit of news or info relating to Duke.
I get excited and interested, but really... after this long of waiting for Duke... I've learned not to get really, REALLY, excited about stuff. Stay calm, grounded... and wait and see.

For me... with DNF... it's always been When It's Done... and wait and see.

Old 06-11-2010, 05:05 PM   #80
dukeonly

Quote:
Oh I'm excited. I'm a huge Duke fan, it was my main reason for joining this forum. And for a LONG time after 3DR closed I had "I believe in Duke" in my sig.

And while I hope that one day we do get to play DNF, and I constantly hope for new, amazing news to surface.... it doesn't do any good to get overly excited over every little bit of news or info relating to Duke.
I get excited and interested, but really... after this long of waiting for Duke... I've learned not to get really, REALLY, excited about stuff. Stay calm, grounded... and wait and see.

For me... with DNF... it's always been When It's Done... and wait and see.
i'm just happy to know they might still be making games