Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Other Apogee/3D Realms Games > Max Payne
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 04-08-2011, 07:16 PM   #41
ZuljinRaynor

Re: Max Payne 3 delayed again?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldozer View Post
They did promote the game by saying it was a "spiritual sequel" to system shock.
Yes, but then they dropped that even though no gamers picked up on that.

But "spiritual" doesn't mean "direct."

See Dragon Age: Origins. It was billed as a Balder's Gate spiritual successor. And that's what it was, instead of Balder's Gate 3.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:04 PM   #42
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Quote:
Well, if by previous titles you're refering to GTA IV, I could agree. The old GTAs of the III era were very fun, and enjoyable though. I havent played GTA IV either, I've heard it's boring too. What's important, is that Rockstar does know how to make a good story in a game, almost as good as Remedy.
I'm talking about their entire catalog except three games. Out of Rockstar's catalog I like GTA3, Vice City and Manhunt.
Everything else... is either boring, dull, annoying, pathetic... flawed...
And I strongly disagree with Rockstar being good at telling a story. They are nowhere near Remedy's story telling abilities...

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Old 04-10-2011, 11:34 AM   #43
thelastdisciple

Thought I'd share this, might be good for a laugh?

Was pretty easy to to do, yes that's Jeff Bridges lol
---------------

Did i read James McCaffrey was reprising the voice again? is that true?

Old 04-11-2011, 02:45 AM   #44
dan2091

Yes, he's reprising the voice. Also, Max is being modelled after him as well, this time, I find this to be great.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:26 AM   #45
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

I... don't.
I mean, it's fantastic that they got him back. When the game was first announced and they said James Mccaffrey wouldn't be back... that was instant fail.
So, now, bringing him back is awesome.

But, modeling Max after him visually... ehhh. So, this makes the third different person Max has been modeled after. Why not just take Max from the second game... and make him older?

Either way, no Remedy, no 3DR, no Sam Lake story.... meh. But, we'll see...

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Old 04-11-2011, 09:25 AM   #46
Kit

Pff... Bring back the permanent Sam Lake scowl.

At the very least it should be available to use like the PS1 octo camo in MGS 4. XD
Old 04-12-2011, 08:50 AM   #47
MegaMustaine

If they are modeling Max after McCaffrey it might have something to do with the game using the L.A. Noire facial animation system. I almost guarantee they are using it for the game. On an ironic note, Remedy says they can do facial animation better.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/680...animation-tech
Old 04-12-2011, 01:14 PM   #48
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

What's ironic about that? Remedy make strong, story driven games... and they are aiming to develop a very solid facial animation system for their next game.

Old 04-12-2011, 06:57 PM   #49
ZuljinRaynor

Assuming it's good.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:21 PM   #50
dan2091

Come on! It would've been nice if Gibbs was hired back, but if they have decided to use the voice actor as Max's model, who is a real life actor as well, then it's cool.

Quote:
la noire seems like a pretty story-driven game, it may convince you azreal that rockstar is as qualified as remedy to tell a story in a game.
Yes, some games turn out to be terrible, despite looking good on trailer, like Alone in the Dark. So yeah. Yeah.. well, That's a Team Bondi developed game, anyway. Rockstar is publishing it, only. So there's chance that Rockstar put zero input on L.A. Noire story, I don't know really. That doesn't mean that the Max Payne 3 story has to suck, anyway. I hope it works out.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:44 PM   #51
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Quote:
la noire seems like a pretty story-driven game, it may convince you azreal that rockstar is as qualified as remedy to tell a story in a game.
Except LA Noire is not being made by Rockstar. It's being developed by Team Bondi.
Rockstar are publishing. So, Team Bondi gets credit for LA Noure in my eyes, not Rockstar.

---------- Post added at 09:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan2091 View Post
Come on! It would've been nice if Gibbs was hired back, but if they have decided to use the voice actor as Max's model, who is a real life actor as well, then it's cool.
Timothy Gibbs is a "real" actor as well. And Timothy looked great as Max, I'd prefer that they maintain some continuity instead of jumping to yet another different "face" for Max.

Last edited by Damien_Azreal; 04-12-2011 at 08:51 PM.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:56 PM   #52
dan2091

Yeah, he's an actor, too. See, I'm against changing actors when a series is going on, too. I wish Michael Keaton along with the first two Batman movies' staff had came back in the 90's to do Batman 3, with a better script than Batman Returns (and Forever :s)... But, oh time awarded us with better Batman movies. Still, I like Keaton the most.

Anyway, they've chosen this guy to fully portray Payne and I don't oppose the situation. Yes, they're changing lots of things, the main model actor being one of them. So what? I'll ony bash Rockstar Games if this decision isn't well implemented, cause the way I see it, this is not a bad decision at all.

And just like Batman, I feel Sammy Lake is the best Payne model, an icon I'd say. And that said, there's no reason to not get different actors to do the role. Of course, if he was back as Payne and the writer, it would be an awwesome choice.

---

How awesome is, too, that Payne is using hawaiian shirts, like Sam in the very first MP, in this come back ?
Last edited by dan2091; 04-12-2011 at 11:01 PM.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:18 AM   #53
K100

10 news screenshots:
http://www.rockstargames.com/maxpayne3/
Old 04-25-2011, 07:17 PM   #54
thelastdisciple
There's quite the preview in Edge magazine as well, i don't want to link to them here but there are scans out there.

I also left a couple meaty comments on the latest Rockstar Games posting about Max Payne 3.

http://www.rockstargames.com/newswir...ts-update.html

Old 04-26-2011, 09:05 AM   #55
Cleric

I've checked out the article, and honestly, it sounds promising. I don't know if it's been mentioned here before, but they are using Euphoria in the game, so Max (and other characters) will anticipate the landing from shoot dodges and try to catch himself, etc. We're also going to find out why Max had to leave New York, through animated comic scenes and Max's narration. The article also says that the noir style is still apparent and that it works in the new location.

You guys can continue talking about how Max is being butchered...I'll be staying optimistic and (hopefully) enjoying the game when it comes out
Konami Gamer ID:steak_and_cheese
Old 04-30-2011, 07:20 PM   #56
Mariamus

The new screens look good, but if they just removed the *shudders* cliché baldness and the new scenery, I'd gladly give it a chance.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:33 PM   #57
Inanimate Carbon Rod

If anything since Rockstar is involved the game will be longer than max payne 2.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:12 PM   #58
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Length doesn't equal quality.

Old 05-05-2011, 01:37 PM   #59
Inanimate Carbon Rod

Satisfaction suffers if on my first play through I beat the game in less time than it takes to a watch Lord of the Rings movie.

I bought MP2 when it was a $50 game at release. Given MP2's short length I felt as though I paid $30-$40 to much.
Last edited by Inanimate Carbon Rod; 05-05-2011 at 01:41 PM.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:59 PM   #60
thelastdisciple
You haven't played a short game until you've played The Force Unleashed 2.. :P

MP2 WAS like a lengthy LoTR movie in comparison to that rip off of a game.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:45 AM   #61
K100

Old 05-10-2011, 10:29 AM   #62
FullMetalJacket
Check out this screenshot, though: http://media.pcgamer.com/files/2011/...ire-alley1.jpg

So at least he will still have his hair and the leather jacket for a portion of the game.

"My father would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy; the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament."
Old 05-10-2011, 05:23 PM   #63
Dunedain

It's stupid to have Max be older in the game, it should take place shortly after Max Payne II, and he should still have has his hair. Plus, there's just no substitute for New York City, certainly not some third world cesspool. Some place like France might be interesting, if another city must be shown.

But at the very least Max should still be young, jumping so far ahead is crazy. Many fans want more Max Payne games, beyond this one (and hopefully made by Remedy), jumping so far ahead in time limits future story options. They should simply adjust the story and art to make Max look the same age as in Max Payne II, that would solve that problem.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:38 AM   #64
SpinX

still not convinced by the look of the game...

I really hoped they would stay in New York and show the dark, snowy, rainy, coorupt atmosphere as was intended by the first games...

I also expect them to rape the soundtrack...

http://www.youtube.com/user/ftbfelix
Old 05-11-2011, 06:10 AM   #65
Piano Man
What I would love to see would be the tools to create maps and characters like the other 2 Max Payne games... and then use the engine to re-create the beauty of the original Max Payne game...

I would ******* droooooool over that possibility...

Old 05-11-2011, 07:53 AM   #66
thelastdisciple
Hopefully they do release mod tools this time around, maybe the community can then fix what might potentially be wrong about the game and release a proper version.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:59 PM   #67
SpinX

it almot seems max payne 2 had higher textures and resolutions then thsese screenshots of the 2011 game...

Old 05-13-2011, 07:35 AM   #68
Piano Man
Are you nuts??? Seriously???

The graphics in the Max Payne 3 game look detailed to HELL... compared to the 2nd Max Payne game...

Old 05-19-2011, 03:41 PM   #69
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

A lot of the textures in the environment do look rather low-res and blurry. Texture work and detail is something MP2 did fantastic with.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:59 AM   #70
MegaMustaine

I think I know why they switched actors to portray Max. I believe that R* is using the LA Noire facial animation tech in this game. It would make sense for them to implement it in MP3 and all of their future games if they can afford to pay the actors. The tech itself is highly dependent on actors and with them not wanting to switch voice actors for Max, it makes sense that McCaffery will be who Max is modeled after.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:16 PM   #71
8IronBob

That Max Payne above looks a lot like Niko Bellic. Was that done by the same artist, perhaps? Now that Max Payne's a Rockstar/Take Two game, that's got me curious.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:20 PM   #72
SpinX

The fact that we haven't seen a trailer yet doesn't spell well for the current gameplay... no hyping at all... so we're looking for a holiday 2012 release, I think...

Old 08-05-2011, 07:16 PM   #73
dan2091

Read somewhere this game could be released may 2012, just like RDR and LA Nore did.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:53 PM   #74
cmtthws92
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan2091 View Post
Read somewhere this game could be released may 2012, just like RDR and LA Nore did.
Or it could be released "When It's Done"
Old 08-10-2011, 05:55 PM   #75
dan2091

True. I hope they announce something official soon. I want news on this game.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:23 AM   #76
K100

Old 08-29-2011, 11:47 AM   #77
Rapture_Rising

Hooray... maybe Rockstar are busy changing this game so we dont have to play as a fat bald man.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:25 PM   #78
Yatta

That, or the game takes place during different times in Max's life.

Like Breaking Bad.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:11 PM   #79
dan2091

I'm up for it. Really. It looks interesting and I'm buying it. I don't even care for fat payne, he's not that fat either . I just hope they fix the hair bug.

And give us some news. Oh, my. I need news about this game.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:59 AM   #80
marioman360

Those screenshots don't look too bad.

However, that magazine article that said you don't control bullet-time still has me extremely skeptical about this.