Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Other Apogee/3D Realms Games > Max Payne
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 03-25-2009, 09:14 AM   #121
blenkarnie

Re: Max Payne 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleric View Post
Exactly why I think I'll stay out of this thread for a bit. There are going to be people absolutely freaking out about R*'s decision to make a third Max Payne. Pretty soon this thread's going to be filled with tons of unwarranted criticism.

I know some of you people would like the MP series to be left alone. I know you think the third game is going to ruin the series. But the fact is that none of us know anything about the game aside from the paragraph of information announcing it. Don't start bashing this game without knowing anything about it. Give it a chance.
Yeah, give the guys a break. We don't want them reading this forum and feeling like giving up before they have even finished working on the game. Sure, it's a worry if the game engine which I love get's changed. The same thing happened when Thief changed the 'Dark Engine' and T3 looked as though the backgrounds had had all been been painted like theatre props. But don't condemn anything outright before we even get a YouTube release of the gameplay. Let's just hope that the new engine IS an improvement.

Hey Rockstar! No burning resturants or blood trail jumping Please!

I'm just really pleased that we have a Max III at all, I was worried it was going to get buried after Max II was so badly undersold.

"We're starting a new chapter of Max's life with this game," said Rockstar founder Sam Houser in a statement issued this morning. "This is Max as we've never seen him before, a few years older, more world-weary and cynical than ever."
Last edited by blenkarnie; 03-25-2009 at 11:12 AM.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:26 AM   #122
biXen
Funny how people have played two games where they killed about 500 people each and then exclaim something like this to a Max Payne 3: "the story will be unrealistic and stupid, it ended with Max Payne 2."
Old 03-25-2009, 11:38 AM   #123
Sayantan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawn_off View Post
Now with Rockstar Social Club!
Damn, I almost forgot about it.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:56 PM   #124
Walking Alone

Old 03-25-2009, 02:07 PM   #125
Cleric

^That face is familiar, where is that from?
Konami Gamer ID:steak_and_cheese
Old 03-25-2009, 02:48 PM   #126
Walking Alone

Silent Hill 3, He's Douglas Cartland.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:13 AM   #127
MaxSchmerz
Classic:
Last edited by MaxSchmerz; 03-27-2009 at 06:17 AM.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:24 AM   #128
blenkarnie

Good, but I somehow doubt that in the end Rockstar will launch a game with a too unattractive old geezer on the box if it wants to sell it to younger gamers. We shall see.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:12 PM   #129
JackpotDen

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2001/7/30/

I believe this is enough
Old 03-27-2009, 09:30 PM   #130
The Baskinator

He's got facepubes.

Normally, I love beardage. But Max Payne can go to hell.

"Friends? These are my only friends! Grown up nerds, like Gore Vidal, and even he's kissed more boys than I ever will.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:35 PM   #131
Hudson

Max Payne 3: The sequel to Max Payne 2 : The Fall of Max Payne

Oh hel yae
[INSERT SYSTEM SPECS THAT NO ONE CARES ABOUT HERE]
Old 03-27-2009, 09:36 PM   #132
The Baskinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post

Oh hel yae
Max Payne gets quintuple-crossed and must murder everything in his path to find THE TRUTH.

"Friends? These are my only friends! Grown up nerds, like Gore Vidal, and even he's kissed more boys than I ever will.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:38 PM   #133
Hudson

He'll kill the dealers, the pimps, the gangstas, the puppies, the small children, that chair in the corner.. and the HOMELESS.

Maybe he will team up with Fiddy Cent and take on the Taliban who invade San Andreas
Old 03-27-2009, 09:39 PM   #134
The Baskinator

Quote:
He'll kill the dealers, the pimps, the gangstas, the puppies, the small children, that chair in the corner.. and the HOMELESS.

Maybe he will team up with Fiddy Cent and take on the Taliban who invade San Andreas
And they will risk their lives in search of the crystal skull.

Old 03-27-2009, 09:59 PM   #135
Dopefish7590

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Baskinator View Post
As his own personal hell continues, after a brief intermission to go live in a barred in ghetto town with 50-Cent.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:02 AM   #136
alexgk

Quote:

Oh hel yae
Quote:
Max Payne gets quintuple-crossed and must murder everything in his path to find THE TRUTH.
Quote:

Quote:
Best. Game. Ever!

Or not...

I can't help to feel excited about a new Max Payne game, but all we can do is wait to see if Rockstar stays loyal to the formula...
Last edited by alexgk; 03-28-2009 at 11:04 AM.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:58 AM   #137
SpinX

but I fear it will be to much of kane and lynch combat (which sucked very bad) or my greatest fear, Gears of war combat...

I hope they take the speed of bullet time from Max payne 1, that was slower than Max payne 2...

http://www.youtube.com/user/ftbfelix
Old 03-29-2009, 10:00 AM   #138
alexgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinX View Post
I hope they take the speed of bullet time from Max payne 1, that was slower than Max payne 2...
Well, if you were on a killing spree on MP2, bullet time was definitely slower than in MP1, and I liked that gameplay touch.
The reloading animation when the color of the sand clock was dark yellow was bad ass...
Old 03-29-2009, 02:11 PM   #139
Java the Hutt

I think is great that Rockstar will release a new Max Payne game.

There are several points made in previous posts that I would like to comment on.

1) The constant complaining about the change of Max's appearance between the first and second game. Sam Lake was the model for Max in the first game because Remedy did not have the budget to hire actors. They had a bigger budget for the second game, so they hired actors. I even believe that Sam Lake said that he did not want to model for Max in the second game. This has been mentioned over and over in countless articles, so why do people keep harping on this point? Go Google it. If you have a problem with it, then go tell Sam Lake yourself. A lot of us enjoyed both games regardless of who modeled for the characters and are also tired of people whining about this matter.

2) The complaints that Rockstar will sully Max Payne's reputation in the gaming community. Rockstar paid a large amount for the Max Payne intellectual property. They would not do that and just sit on it. Of course they are going to make more Max Payne games. If you have any beef with Rockstar, then you should redirect it to Remedy. They sold Max Payne to Rockstar. Personally I have no issue with Remedy selling Max to Rockstar. They capitalized on Max at the height of his popularity and made some serious money. This allowed them to start a new game concept called Allan Wake. I really doubt they would want to make Max Payne games for the rest of their lives. On the other hand Rockstar has the opportunity to create their own Max Payne game. They do have a very popular series called GTA, and if they can make Max half as popular, then more power to them.

I am looking forward to the next chapter in the Max Payne universe. Rockstar also has done one thing that other companies have trouble with - announcing a definite release date for the game.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:17 PM   #140
blenkarnie

I agree with all you say except about the appearrance of Max. Max was beautifully drawn in the first game but was a nebulous blurred image in the second. There is no getting away from that if you know anything about art.
Old 03-29-2009, 04:39 PM   #141
Sang

Quote:
This humorous remark is pretty much what I imagined when I read the first "plot details".
Old 03-29-2009, 07:13 PM   #142
Malgon

I don't know if I'm really all that excited about another MP game. For me MP2 could've been the last one and I would have been fine with it. Since it's coming though, my biggest concern is that Rockstar won't be able to replicate the particular style that permeated throughout the MP games. That was a big part of the appeal for me, and I have my doubts about anyone else but Remedy being able to do it properly. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what Rockstar has to offer.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:26 AM   #143
ZuljinRaynor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java the Hutt View Post
They do have a very popular series called GTA, and if they can make Max half as popular, then more power to them.
Popular doesn't mean good.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:27 AM   #144
Walking Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZuljinRaynor View Post
Popular doesn't mean good.
+ 100%
I don't like GTA series.
But i must play GTA4 to test Euphoria
Old 03-31-2009, 04:50 AM   #145
Walking Alone

http://www.pcaction.de/Max-Payne-3-W...icle/view/609/
Old 03-31-2009, 05:37 AM   #146
Monkey Butler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walking Alone View Post
+ 100%
I don't like GTA series.
But i must play GTA4 to test Euphoria
"don't like" doesn't mean "isn't good"
Old 03-31-2009, 07:26 AM   #147
Walking Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Butler View Post
"don't like" doesn't mean "isn't good"
This is imho, not axiom
Old 04-13-2009, 12:35 PM   #148
Mona Payne
I really hope Mona is in the game. Honestly i don't care if she is a playable character in the game or not. I just want her to be mentioned in the story arc.

If say they take the first ending of Max Payne 2 where Mona dies hopefully they tell how Max reacted to losing another person he was starting to love and care for and maybe how that contributed to him leaving NYC and the NYPD.

If say they take the second ending where Mona Survives make it so that she was arrested and put in jail or say she was took to a hospital before they would take her to jail mona decided to escape the hospital and bail but writes Max a letter saying that they will probably never see each other again but that she cares deeply about Max but just can't go to Jail.

Then a few years later Max life continues to go down hill and decides he needs to find and get with Mona.

Just hope she is involved in some way. Mona is a really significant part of max payne imo.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:56 AM   #149
PsychoGoatee

Wow, I can admit I was sure they'd never make this game, but it's happening.

I'll certainly play it, but like any true fan I'm sure I'll complain about it.

Really, it does seem like this game will suffer without the original team (and writer), but we'll see.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:17 PM   #150
HalloweenIV

I wonder if there's going to be a MaxED 3 with Max Payne 3, or if they've used another gamming engine this time around as going by the picture at the beginnig of the thread Max looks suspiciously like the type of character model you'd find in GTA. So perhaps they've used the same engine they used to make the latest GTA titles.
Last edited by HalloweenIV; 04-17-2009 at 08:16 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:26 PM   #151
Mona Payne
Can't wait till we get more info.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:56 PM   #152
Hudson

Personally I hope Mona is dead. Max needs a new reason to be screwed, the second game really made no sense at all.

In the first he had a hellbent reason for his revenge and subsequent massacre, and in the second it was for almost no reason.. not to mention they turned my (and many other fans) favorite character into a bad guy with a dead end.

Max needs a new reason to kill a hundred million people, and unlike the second game, a good reason
Old 04-16-2009, 07:04 AM   #153
Mona Payne
Quote:
Personally I hope Mona is dead. Max needs a new reason to be screwed, the second game really made no sense at all.

In the first he had a hellbent reason for his revenge and subsequent massacre, and in the second it was for almost no reason.. not to mention they turned my (and many other fans) favorite character into a bad guy with a dead end.

Max needs a new reason to kill a hundred million people, and unlike the second game, a good reason
As I said...I want her to be involved in the game somehow. I don't need her as a playable character or anything like that. Dead or Alive I want her part of the storyline.

It's one, two, or three things.

She's either Dead or Locked up for a long time or Before she got locked up she bailed and nobody has any trace of her.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:53 AM   #154
Walking Alone

I found interesting news. GTA Rockstar Games video channel upload all trailers of MP1 and MP2.

I mean Rockstar... Max Payne 3... it is interconnected you know?
I think it will be media update soon. Waiting.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:40 AM   #155
ADM

That's not an official video channel for Rockstar, so in other words it doesn't mean anything. Just some fan uploading videos.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:59 AM   #156
Walking Alone

Wow. I don't know what. But anyway thank you for answer.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:59 AM   #157
blenkarnie

Quote:

This can be a somewhat disturbing move on behalf of the writer and developers; to turn Max from a contorted good-guy into a specific bad guy. It happened in Thief III where Garett started stealing from honest taxpayers in the street which was a big let down for me. I like my heroes to be basically decent, even if they are killing hundreds of people in the course of the game.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:41 AM   #158
dos4gw
Quote:
Originally Posted by blenkarnie View Post
This can be a somewhat disturbing move on behalf of the writer and developers; to turn Max from a contorted good-guy into a specific bad guy. It happened in Thief III where Garett started stealing from honest taxpayers in the street which was a big let down for me. I like my heroes to be basically decent, even if they are killing hundreds of people in the course of the game.
I'm pretty sure Garrett would have stolen from anyone so he could pay his rent. He's never been made out to be a robin hood-esque hero, which is actually part of his appeal. And besides, there is really no indication that these are "honest" taxpayers that he is robbing.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:15 PM   #159
blenkarnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dos4gw View Post
I'm pretty sure Garrett would have stolen from anyone so he could pay his rent. He's never been made out to be a robin hood-esque hero, which is actually part of his appeal. And besides, there is really no indication that these are "honest" taxpayers that he is robbing.
Not the way I see him. How would he know if the people of the town are honest or not? There is no such thing as an entirely honest or dishonest town. Personally I only once robbed someone in the street and that was outside the arms dealer's shop where I was short of money to buy arrows.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:34 PM   #160
Mona Payne
i reall hope we get more info soon.