Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Other Apogee/3D Realms Games > Max Payne
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 06-06-2012, 01:05 PM   #161
flying scotsman
Re: Max Payne 3 delayed again?
It depends wether GTA V will hit the shelves this year or not,otherwise i have my candidate for game of the year,yes Ladies and Gentlemen it's Max Payne 3
Old 06-06-2012, 03:45 PM   #162
Maddieman

The delay was worth it. Rockstar have delivered a next-gen game that lives up to the name Max Payne.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:32 PM   #163
ScrewingUpMyRide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddieman View Post
The delay was worth it. Rockstar have delivered a next-gen game that lives up to the name Max Payne.
Completely agree. The game kicks ass! Just started my Hardcore playthrough, and man is the combat satisfying. Only thing I miss is the Remedy creativity, the little touches, but aside from that the game's killer!
Old 06-06-2012, 07:18 PM   #164
Ruger

I liked it. Difficulty was a bit ludicrous on normal, especially near the end. Not having quicksave and the trademark "Rockstar-checkpoints-are-too-far-apart" led to some rage inducing replays of the same section over and over. I'm definitely switching to easy for subsequent replays.

Writing was good, but noticeably different from the Sam Lake style. Having replayed the first 2 games recently, I have to say that one thing that this series has always kinda struggled with is the contrast between the self-loathing over-medicated joe average that Max saw himself as, and the gameplay need to have ever more elaborate and spectacular shootouts, where in Max is clearly an unstoppable killing machine with not inconsiderable skills. Max never seems to acknowledge this incredible faculty he has for killing a bunch of people. Kinda like Niko in GTA4 having that disconnect between his personality in gameplay vs the plot.

The second Max Payne game probably did the best in terms of having the levels driven by the plot, while Max Payne 3 felt more like a return to first game in some respects, with the plot seemingly driven by what environments they want to stage big shootouts in.

Gameplay wise, I like that they went back to the bullettime conventions of the first game, and ditched the "Max moves at superhuman speed while the badguys move in slow motion" version of bulletime that the second game had. I sorta missed having molotov cocktails to set my enemy on fire with. Not sure why that got taken out.

Brazil was fine as setting, but I must admit the New Jersey segments left me wanting more of that old school snowbound Max Payne landscape.
"It's like a bad relationship where your girlfriend keeps telling you it'll get better, and sure things are fine for a while, but before you know it there she is again pawning your stuff for meth and trying to suffocate you with a pillow as you sleep." - Hudson
Last edited by Ruger; 06-06-2012 at 07:22 PM.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:06 PM   #165
thelastdisciple
I have to say that Rockstar has definitely trimmed away a lot from the first games, obviously it's expected especially to meet modern standards that along with a different developer but I'm not sure that I've really let that sink in yet, yeah the fact that you only have 3 weapon slots is more realistic but i miss having huge pockets and "guns, lots of guns", also i find the levels and environments, where you can go...etc. massively scaled down like this game almost feels even more linear and closed off than the others, you can't open lockers and cabinets, search drawers for painkillers and ammo.. stuff like that and what the hell... where's all the bathrooms full with (mostly pointless so that's probably why it was removed) interactions with the environment like turning on sinks, showers, flushing toilets... or my favorite in the raunchy hotel levels the vibrating beds! i miss stuff like that! but i also do realize they cut all that out to keep you focused on the task at hand and to keep you moving forward and not to detract from the fluid pacing.

(although the golden gun pieces and "clues" if you were so interested and inclined did at times have your keeping your eyes peeled but even then they weren't that much out of the way and pretty easy to just stumble upon rather than to go searching for them.)

I miss unlimited shootdodge, they went and gave it a stamina meter... argh sometimes i really think trying to be realistic in this medium sucks man.... i just want to play an unrealistic game where the laws of the real world don't apply..... (hey that kinda sounds like the Matrix! :P ). I also found some of the levels like once you get to the docks or even some of the favela areas they really ended up hindering any use of the shootdodge mechanic, wasn't too fond of that.

They also need to focus less on making games into interactive movies, that's what it's starting to feel like most of the time... too much scripted stuff and cut scenes.

Oh sorry since we want to "keep the game moving so that you never experience a dull beat" we're going to completely remove your gameplay privileges when you want to do something as simple and "time-consuming" as climbing a ******* ladder on your own... i mean didn't anyone else notice this?

This game isn't entirely on rails but it feels pretty close at times i have to say. Hmph... /end rant

I'm still loving the game despite all of this... i just.... ugh ..... nostalgia... those first two games were completely solid experiences for me and I'm just having a hard time trying to separate them from the new game, it's probably just modern gaming trends in general ******* things up like it usually does.... i dunno i bet if the first games where made today i probably wouldn't like them at all.

c'est la vie.
Last edited by thelastdisciple; 06-07-2012 at 07:18 PM.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:07 AM   #166
Cleric

The cheaters pool!

Pretty clever way to deal with the situation.
Konami Gamer ID:steak_and_cheese
Old 07-10-2012, 10:19 AM   #167
flying scotsman
Time well spent,very good game,solid on every field,great experience.Now im hoping for the Max Payne 4 Btw. Ending for Max Payne 3 was interesting enough.....
Also have no interest in Multiplayer,in fact,if games were all about multiplayer only,i'd never play them
Last edited by flying scotsman; 07-10-2012 at 10:23 AM.