Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Duke Nukem > Duke Nukem 3D Xbox LIVE
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 11-01-2008, 04:16 PM   #1
kp1197
PC/XBLA differences
Hi all -
I noticed two differences, if my memory serves me correctly:

1. Drinking water gives you +5 HP in XBLA, not +1 HP like in the PC
2. The music for the abyss is different in XBLA. It has actual music. I remember the PC version music just being a bunch of random sound effects.

Are there any other differences between the XBLA and PC version, and what are they?
Old 11-01-2008, 04:21 PM   #2
Steve

Re: PC/XBLA differences
Quote:
Originally Posted by kp1197 View Post
Hi all -

2. The music for the abyss is different in XBLA. It has actual music. I remember the PC version music just being a bunch of random sound effects.

Are there any other differences between the XBLA and PC version, and what are they?
The PC version of the abyss does have music, not random sound effects. It's the same as the 360 version.

1. There's a difference with Duke's mighty boot: It's more powerful in the 360 version.
2. In the pc version when you pick up the "Ripper" it states that you picked up the "chain cannon". 360 version states "Ripper"
Old 11-01-2008, 04:24 PM   #3
kp1197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
The PC version of the abyss does have music, not random sound effects. It's the same as the 360 version.

1. There's a difference with Duke's mighty boot: It's more powerful in the 360 version.
2. In the pc version when you pick up the "Ripper" it states that you picked up the "chain cannon". 360 version states "Ripper"
Yes. The ripper thing is true. Maybe it was my sound card that made the music in abyss sound like a bunch of random crap.
Old 11-01-2008, 04:27 PM   #4
Steve

Quote:
Yes. The ripper thing is true. Maybe it was my sound card that made the music in abyss sound like a bunch of random crap.
Must have been your sound card indeed

Another:
When you use duke's mighty boot it no longer states "mighty foot engaged" in the 360 version. Although most people already know that
Old 11-01-2008, 04:27 PM   #5
TerminX

A bunch of the quotes are different in the XBLA version, not just the chaingun pickup. They've mostly been changed for consistency with the other quotes... the message for picking up an atomic health was changed to reflect how much health it's worth (like the other health items), et cetera.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:49 PM   #6
alexgk

1.- No "Mighty Boot Engaged" message shown in the 360 version when you kick...
Old 11-02-2008, 01:24 PM   #7
ZuljinRaynor

Steve said that Alex. D:
Old 11-02-2008, 01:35 PM   #8
alexgk

I'd swear I read all posts before writng that
Old 12-01-2008, 01:40 PM   #9
doomsdayman

you can rewind :P
Old 12-01-2008, 02:00 PM   #10
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Quote:
Hi all -

No on 2. We didn't change any of the game music at all.

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16
Old 12-01-2008, 04:55 PM   #11
MusicallyInspired

Does the 360 version have the ability to quick kick AND select the foot as a weapon like the PC?
Old 12-01-2008, 05:37 PM   #12
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicallyInspired View Post
Does the 360 version have the ability to quick kick AND select the foot as a weapon like the PC?
You mean have two feet at once? No, that was taken out of the PC version at the end too, as I recall.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:05 PM   #13
Zom-B

Was it? I seem to be able to do it, just select the foot as a weapon and use the ` key for the other foot.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:01 PM   #14
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zom-B View Post
Was it? I seem to be able to do it, just select the foot as a weapon and use the ` key for the other foot.
You're using V1.3D. That's why you can do that.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:44 PM   #15
Daedolon
Drinking from fountains giving five health makes more sense, since if you're playing on a hard difficulty level and need some health, you'd always drink your health back to 100. With getting only one HP it's quite tedious.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:38 AM   #16
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

The power of the mighty foot was increased in the Duke3D version too. Kicking causes more damage now than it used to be.

Old 12-07-2008, 01:51 PM   #17
MusicallyInspired

I know you can't kick with both feet at the same time anymore but is there a seperate button from the weapon shoot button for a quick kick while you have a weapon in hand?

Also it was brought to my attention that the soundtrack on the 360 isn't exactly the same. It's the same MIDIs but it doesn't play the right instruments for some songs because of the EMIDI format. For instance, the Roland SC-55 GS soundtrack I had made a while back I took down because it was playing some incorrect instrument because there are multiple channels for the same instrument in some Duke MIDIs for the different sound outputs (GUS, Roland GS, FM Synth, etc). So what plays in-game on the 360 version is the same thing you get when you play the MIDIs in Windows Media Player which is incorrect. It's a minor thing, but worth nothing, I think.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:53 PM   #18
ZuljinRaynor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicallyInspired View Post
I know you can't kick with both feet at the same time anymore but is there a seperate button from the weapon shoot button for a quick kick while you have a weapon in hand?
It's the TILDE key in the PC version.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:27 PM   #19
Phayzon

Left Trigger in the arcade version
Old 12-24-2008, 09:20 AM   #20
ilovefoxes
Some chances seems to come from like CON files. Couldn't release it for PC?
Old 12-26-2008, 07:31 PM   #21
snake289

Heres a difference you use a Controller instead of mainly a Keyboard and Mouse =-P

Xfire:snake289
Xbox Live GT:snake2895
PSN GT:Uhh bought a new PC instead?
Old 12-27-2008, 02:52 PM   #22
Steve

Ooo Re: PC/XBLA differences
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovefoxes View Post
Some chances seems to come from like CON files. Couldn't release it for PC?
If you can read, you can edit that stuff for yourself
Old 12-27-2008, 03:34 PM   #23
ilovefoxes
It's possible, but you probably won't get --every-- change by 100%. So, I am saying of a official release of 3DRealms for a 1.6 version. =P
Old 01-13-2010, 04:06 PM   #24
PredatorFL

to be honest I prefer the controls on the console version, I never thought I would say that lol.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:02 PM   #25
ZuljinRaynor

Switching guns is so fun on the 360.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:59 PM   #26
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZuljinRaynor View Post
Switching guns is so fun on the 360.
It's even COOLER when you pick up pipebombs!
Old 06-26-2010, 03:40 AM   #27
Subliminal Surgeon

In the xbla version, you can't access any cheat codes -_- I wish you could. No clipping was always fun to use to explore parts of the maps with.
Old 07-11-2010, 04:03 PM   #28
Agent Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subliminal Surgeon View Post
In the xbla version, you can't access any cheat codes -_- I wish you could. No clipping was always fun to use to explore parts of the maps with.
Indeed, though I'm assuming there was no difference in the maps [between PC & XBLA Versions] so nothing would be new.

We all remember this?:

Last edited by Agent Zach; 07-12-2010 at 02:08 AM.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:17 AM   #29
The Dukenator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Zach View Post
Indeed, though I'm assuming there was no difference in the maps [between PC & XBLA Versions] so nothing would be new.

We all remember this?:
One change below:

Quote:
Critical Mass - E4M9:
Special Xbox 360 Cooperative Note:

When we were developing the Xbox LIVE Arcade version of Duke 3D, one of the things we looked at in detail was co-operative play. More specifically, whether or not the original level construction would leave you stuck with no way out. We spent a lot of time looking for this, and found only one place where this was possible. It was in Critical Mass with the spiral stairs shown here. During the normal single player path, going up the spiral staircase would cause them (and the room at the top) to collapse, leaving you with no way to get back. This is a non issue in single player, but in Co-Op play, we discovered a problem.

In Co-Op, if you got past the collapsing stairs, and then died, you would get taken back to the start of the level. The problem with that is that now the stairs are already collapsed, and you were stuck - there was no way to get past the stairs in Co-Op.

We examined the map data, and discovered that in Dukematch play, this map had special map data so that when the stairs were down, there was a way around. In Dukematch, there is a switch on the wall that was not there in single player or Co-Op originally which would open up a teleport and let you bypass the collapsed stairs. The decision was made to alter the original map data for this instance. We changed the map so that when you played Co-Op, this teleport was also available to you. It is NOT available in single player, and this is the only instance in the entire game when we went back and changed existing map structure for the Xbox LIVE Arcade version. Otherwise you'd get stuck.
Last edited by The Dukenator; 07-12-2010 at 01:24 AM.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:55 AM   #30
SleazyCowboy

Well i will say i absolutely love the replay feature. That was a fantastic feature they added. Now when i get murdered on the Queen before i get to her, i can just rewind