Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Duke Nukem > Duke Nukem Forever
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 05-15-2009, 02:33 AM   #41
Kane

Re: Take Two Sues 3D Realms :O
BUT! T2 paid for rights to publish, thats all. From this point of view, its just a business risk IMO. But its hard to say, we have no idea whats in the publishing contract...
Old 05-15-2009, 02:34 AM   #42
Tualmasok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiminator View Post
12 years. they could have released 4 games in that time, each one a generation better then the last. They would be swimming in cash, the fans would be happy, the publisher would be happy and the last game would probably be as good as what you see now. Instead everybody is pissed off. Because of some strange perfection bullshit....
Once again: *APPLAUSE*
Old 05-15-2009, 02:36 AM   #43
MAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by peoplessi View Post
Oh shit you have no comprehension skills at all 12million was paid to get the publishing rights. That money wasn't for DNF development at all.
It doesn't matter. They paid 3DRealms money, right? Having already paid for the publishing rights, but not getting the product you have been promised to publish is a problem and a court suit would be in favor of Take2. Because that's the only way Take2 can show that they are serious about DNF and want the game done/published.

How do you take someone seriously when their sig is the machine stats? -Tea Monster
Old 05-15-2009, 02:36 AM   #44
Tualmasok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane View Post
BUT! T2 paid for rights to publish, thats all. From this point of view, its just a business risk IMO. But its hard to say, we have no idea whats in the publishing contract...
I don't think Take 2 would waste the amount of money that comes with litigation if they didn't have a legal leg to stand on.

Bring it on I say, let's get this shit into the open and find out who to blame!

Remember! There is no TRUTH! Only FACTS!
Old 05-15-2009, 02:37 AM   #45
Pansa
in the context of that lawsuit, i'd REALY like to know more about the deal godgames made with 3drealms concerning the rights, what money changed hands back than,
Old 05-15-2009, 02:58 AM   #46
hightreason

OMG, it gets worse and worse, this is not good at all.
Ever get the feeling you are being ignored?
Old 05-15-2009, 03:03 AM   #47
Tualmasok

"Take Two needs to STFU imo."

Bahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!
Old 05-15-2009, 03:10 AM   #48
MasterEvilAce
TT bought a company that owned the rights....
TT never funded 3DR, afaik
3DR had every intention of delivering..
It's "not their fault" they couldn't complete it (ran out of money)...

Sounds like a risky investment TT made, but I don't think they really deserve anything. Legally though, I don't know.

TT just needs to pay 3DR to finish the game, they're likely to make more money, it will be over sooner. But we know TT is only about the $$$ and not the morality
Old 05-15-2009, 03:10 AM   #49
Ironside

Take 2 is going for the kill. I hope they finish DNF and release it so we can play it. Fingers crossed. I know if Duke stays with GB we will never see it and it will be the end of Duke. But if T2 gets it there will be a big chance that we will get to play it.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:15 AM   #50
Thriller

ScottMi11er made some comments on shack. Or, comments.. He pretty much said they cant talk yet, but will, soon.

So, yeah, weŽre at "soon" again.

Quote:
>>> Anyone in this thread bashing Take 2 doesn't understand what the hell happened.

And I suppose you do?
Atleast it sounds like the mather is complicated. Seems like thats a positive thing right now.

"I thought everyone i Sweden looked like Duke Nukem...." - GreedyFly 2001
Old 05-15-2009, 03:23 AM   #51
Delicieuxz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thriller View Post
ScottMi11er made some comments on shack. Or, comments.. He pretty much said they cant talk yet, but will, soon.

Can you post a link to his comment?
Anticipating: GTA V, The Banner Saga, Wasteland 2, Assassin's Creed III, Overgrowth, Star Wars: 1313, Double Fine Adventure, Grim Dawn, Guild Wars 2, Doom 4, MechWarrior Online, Hawken, Far Cry 3, Dishonored, Xenonauts, Baldur's Gate EE
Old 05-15-2009, 03:27 AM   #52
Needle

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotaku
According to the complaint, "Apogee repeatedly assured Take-Two and the video-gaming community that it was diligently working toward competing development of the PC Version of the Duke Nukem Forever."
See guys? They're doing this for US!

I whish there was a way where both of them would loose and yet we'd still get to play DNF somehow.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:28 AM   #53
Llama Gibbz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicieuxz View Post
http://www.shacknews.com/laryn.x?id=19924013
Old 05-15-2009, 03:29 AM   #54
peoplessi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicieuxz View Post
http://www.shacknews.com/laryn.x?id=...nchor_19924013

This here.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:38 AM   #55
Thewho

Can't say I'm surprised. 3DRealms had an obligation to at least get the game out the door.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:51 AM   #56
IceColdDuke
Wow that sucks...
Old 05-15-2009, 04:02 AM   #57
peoplessi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironside View Post
Take 2 is going for the kill. I hope they finish DNF and release it so we can play it. Fingers crossed. I know if Duke stays with GB we will never see it and it will be the end of Duke. But if T2 gets it there will be a big chance that we will get to play it.
Times of despair truly shows the colors of people. If this turns the otherway around, I hope we don't see you posting here anymore
Old 05-15-2009, 04:11 AM   #58
Ironside

Quote:
Times of despair truly shows the colors of people. If this turns the otherway around, I hope we don't see you posting here anymore
I just think that it was wrong for 3dr to take so long and not have a product yet. This lawsuit is the only thing that makes sense atm.
Old 05-15-2009, 04:18 AM   #59
vcxzet

Quote:
Take 2 needs to STFU
what it says
Old 05-15-2009, 04:19 AM   #60
X-Vector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tualmasok View Post
"Take Two needs to STFU imo."

Bahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!
You forgot "We'd find a new publisher so easily it isn't even funny".

http://www.shacknews.com/laryn.x?id=7653819
Old 05-15-2009, 04:20 AM   #61
crunchy superman

Quote:

Explanation coming "when it's done"

Old 05-15-2009, 04:26 AM   #62
Ras

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Vector View Post
I think he's still right about that. If T2 would shop the publishing rights around, somebody would decide the rewards outweigh the risks. At least, if George can really show something that is 60+% finished.
Old 05-15-2009, 04:29 AM   #63
Ironside

Quote:

http://www.shacknews.com/laryn.x?id=7653819
6 year old link, real juicy info mate, juicy.
Old 05-15-2009, 04:31 AM   #64
sirlemonhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironside View Post
6 year old link, real juicy info mate, juicy.
I think you missed his point
Old 05-15-2009, 04:40 AM   #65
Lethe

Stop being the blind fanboys guys. Take 2 is not a charity organization. What they're doing is completely understandable.
Old 05-15-2009, 04:45 AM   #66
Thriller

Guys, Take2 is hardly suing 3DR becuase the selffunded game is "late" or anything like that. They woudnt have a case, at all. To try would only cost them money.
If its scrapped, then maybe.

There seems to be some deals made however that are not public yet.

Quote:
Stop being the blind fanboys guys. Take 2 is not a charity organization. What they're doing is completely understandable.
I would really like it if you could tell us what exactly they are doing, and why. Because we are all wondering, and you obviously have some inside info. How else would you "understand" it? Or are you, infact, just trolling?

Last edited by Thriller; 05-15-2009 at 04:47 AM.
Old 05-15-2009, 04:55 AM   #67
Tang Lung

I wish to announce that I am suing Take Two, for being big giant poopy heads. I will proceed asap, with my newely aquired lawer..Mr Jack Thompson. Wish me luck.

MOON PRINCESS POWER!
Old 05-15-2009, 05:01 AM   #68
Kristian Joensen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tualmasok View Post
Why all the backlash against Take 2?

3D Realms is the party that has FAILED to deliver, again and again.

Take 2 entered into a legal agreement with 3DR - They fund 3DR with $12 mil, 3DR make DNF for Take 2 to release. AFAIK, they are not making the game anymore, hence, Take 2 want to recoup their loss. Makes sense to me.

It's like if you ordered a custom PC. You pay in advance, go to pick it up after a more than reasonable amount of build time (let's say, 12 YEARS!), and the guy that you paid is sitting there with palms out saying "We ran out of money just before we finished, and, um, you can't have it - Sorry".

Bad business is bad business. Sorry.
"They fund 3DR with $12 mil"

But they DIDN'T do that(and it doesn't say so in that article either), those $12 million(Actually it was later re-negotiated down a bit) where paid to Atari for the publishing rights.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:03 AM   #69
jimbob

you might have a chance tang lung, remember Take2 published GTA!!

so take 2 is clearly shipping murder simulators to infants!

and now they deny us big boys our duke nukem in a backstabbing way!

!
Old 05-15-2009, 05:04 AM   #70
X-Vector

Quote:
Or are you, infact, just trolling?
If he is trolling, then someone else is too: http://forums.duke4.net/index.php?s=...ndpost&p=16736

Quote:
Guys, Take2 is hardly suing 3DR becuase the selffunded game is "late" or anything like that. They woudnt have a case, at all. To try would only cost them money.
Do you have some inside info to back this up or are you, in fact, just trolling?
Old 05-15-2009, 05:05 AM   #71
Tang Lung

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
you might have a chance tang lung, remember Take2 published GTA!!

so take 2 is clearly shipping murder simulators to infants!

and now they deny us big boys our duke nukem in a backstabbing way!

!
You're right! I'm on the phone to Jack right now. I'll mention that to him as soon as he stops screaming.

MOON PRINCESS POWER!
Old 05-15-2009, 05:07 AM   #72
unforgiven

Take-Two said in 2000 it had an agreement with Apogee and paid $12 million for publishing rights
Old 05-15-2009, 05:08 AM   #73
Lethe

Quote:
I would really like it if you could tell us what exactly they are doing, and why. Because we are all wondering, and you obviously have some inside info. How else would you "understand" it? Or are you, infact, just trolling?
Just like all of you don't know anything about what 3dr is doing, and what they were (were not) doing for the past decade. You guys just seem to put too much trust into company that never really cared much about its fans. Better waste loyalty onto something worthwhile.
Last edited by Lethe; 05-15-2009 at 05:10 AM.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:12 AM   #74
peoplessi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethe View Post
Just like all of you don't know anything about what 3dr is doing, and what they were (were not) doing for the past decade. You guys just seem to put too much trust into company that never really cared much about its fans. Better waste loyalty onto something worthwhile.
Still waiting for your reliable sources... Or should I just throw your posts to the troll category?
Old 05-15-2009, 05:18 AM   #75
Lethe

Quote:
Still waiting for your reliable sources... Or should I just throw your posts to the troll category?
Check the link X-Vector posted.

Why don't you counter my posts with your arguments from "reliable" sources? Your blind faith in this company is definitely not based on anything "official" or "reliable". Cose such thing don't really exist.

It's just funny to see fanboys rage on Take 2 so easily without any clue, and yet they dare to call others trolls. Such blind loyalty to the company with very questionable attitude toward fans just proves the old claim - when you treat someone like a bitch - he will most likely respect you.
Last edited by Lethe; 05-15-2009 at 05:25 AM.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:19 AM   #76
Thriller

Quote:
Do you have some inside info to back this up or are you, in fact, just trolling?
If you really think theres a case solely based on the fact that the game took a long time to finish, IŽll try to back it up. So, do you?

Quote:
If he is trolling, then someone else is too: http://forums.duke4.net/index.php?s=...ndpost&p=16736
I believe he is talking about the game beeing scrapped, and in that case he is of course absolutely right.

But this is the line you are defending:
Quote:
What they're doing is completely understandable.
What do you understand, exactly?

Do you know the answers to the following questions?
- Is DNF scrapped?
- What exact deals where made between <publisher> / 3DR in the first place?
- What deals has been added between Take2 / 3DR?

If you do, again, let us mortals know. My bet is actually that the answer might lie in the third question.

Quote:
Trolling was a bad word; I dont think your trolling really. I just get anoyed when so many people talk about something as "obvious" when infact their road to conclusion is off. In this case, I find it hard to grasp how we are supposed to "understand" something we pretty much dont know anything about.
Its like all the random forumposts of people saying "Yah.. called the 3DR shutdown.. publisher got tired of funding it of course".

Also, I havent trusted 3DR in a long time when it comes to actually running a company. I have total faith in GB when it comes making cool games, but thats it. I have no idea what company is right in this case, but Im rooting for 3DR because Take2 doesnt really give me much entertainment and I dont really care for them.

Last edited by Thriller; 05-15-2009 at 05:29 AM.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:30 AM   #77
ShadowsWake

Oh man, this is F*cking terrible. . . . .
I was afraid this was going to happen the longer this fragged out.
It's like John Romero's "Daikatana" all over again. . . . .

I just hope 3DR finds a way to fix this sh*t and get that game out. Regardless what happened before or what's happening right now, they put a lot of work into their game, and I really hope that game gets to see the light of day so all that effort wasn't just a waste.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:32 AM   #78
X-Vector

Quote:
I believe he is talking about the game beeing scrapped, and in that case he is of course absolutely right.
He's saying "you pretty much have to sue".
Lethe is saying "what they're doing is completely understandable".

The only difference is that Charlie Wiederhold explains his statement, while Lethe does not.
Still not a reason to dish out that knee-jerk "troll" qualification, which seems to have been eroded so much that it has almost completely lost its meaning.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:36 AM   #79
Ironside

Quote:
Why do you keep saying trolls. This is a 2 sided issue were not trolling were just expressing the other side of the issue, that is 3drealms looks like they may have broken a contract and if so then their at fault. I think you just have blind faith in 3dr which is fine, I understand your side and the notion that 3dr is not in breach of contract...this is just a sensitive issue.

I would think that a 12 year development time is a breach of contract right there alone.
Last edited by Ironside; 05-15-2009 at 05:42 AM.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:38 AM   #80
peoplessi

Well, I'm glad you are off to defend your fellow comrade in the time of need. I aimed this part of the post, which you conviniently didn't bring up "Just like all of you don't know anything about what 3dr is doing, and what they were (were not) doing for the past decade." Lethe knows? Please do share.

Just to re-iterate, I hate the amount of speculation and bullshit that is brought up. We will know later on what happened, and what will happen.