Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Duke Nukem > Duke Nukem Forever
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 08-29-2010, 04:32 PM   #1
cube_b3
Duke Nukem Forever PS2/Wii
What is the probablity that we can get the Unreal version of the game, the Unreal build for 6th Generation consoles?

[youtube]iPX_y7wP_ko[/youtube]

In my other said the trailer was fake, but some one also said he was sure all the versions would come out after the current one.

Basically I am looking at Spider-Man's 3 when making this post, the PS2 version and PS3 Version was handled by a different team and this can totally work for Duke Nukem, I would personally like to play both games.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:36 PM   #2
JobivanHiob

Re: Duke Nukem Forever PS2/Wii
Forever on PS2/Wii? Sorry to crush your dreams. But what are you smoking

The chance for this happening is like 1/100,000.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:41 PM   #3
cube_b3
I see that you can't attach youtube links.

I am sure your not missing much, as you all would've seen the trailer anyway.
Old 08-29-2010, 05:41 PM   #4
Duke's New Chainsaw

NOT. GONNA. HAPPEN.

Old 08-29-2010, 05:57 PM   #5
Reaper89

Like Jobi said, what are you smoking?.. I want some.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:02 PM   #6
GrimWoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JobivanHiob View Post
But what are you smoking
Probably what you are usually smoking,
Old 08-29-2010, 06:33 PM   #7
Water12356

Very highly unlikely. From my POV:

PS2: Too old, system is unlikely to be on the market much longer. Not enough processing power.

Wii: Nintendo has a bigger market for family friendly games, would unlikely be intrested in Duke. Also not enough processing power.

"Men trade whatever they have for sex and women trade sex for whatever they want. That may be unromantic but theres truth to it."
- Nessus
Old 08-29-2010, 08:47 PM   #8
Conan of Cooma

PS2 and Wii? Bahahahahahahahahahahaha!

PS2 is a dead console, even the games that Sony kept it alive for have been switched to PS3 (Singstar, etc).

The Wii would be an ok choice, given its' input options, but it just would not be able to handle the graphics.

A suped up version of D3D on Wii, with HD (Wii HD - LOL) sprites/textures and true 3D levels - Now that is something I would pay top $$$ for.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:02 PM   #9
thunderPIN

Doesn't 3D Realms have a little bit of a rough relationship with Nintendo since Duke 64 had to be toned down?
Old 08-29-2010, 09:27 PM   #10
The Dukenator

3 things:
1. PS2 is 6th Gen, Wii is 7th Gen
2. Not a chance in hell as most have moved on to PS3/360.
3. There are rumors of Wii HD, but has not been confirmed.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:04 PM   #11
alexgk

Making another version of DNF, as you said, would requiere an entire development team dedicated to it. DNF, as a project, has had enough problems with just one version.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:03 AM   #12
Oveneise

I'm sorry, but the PS2 NEEDS to die off already. And no, I think its very unlikely.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:43 AM   #13
Romulus_ut3
What about the atari 2600 release which 3d Realms mentioned about on the official website? There's actually a video of a demonstration of an Atari 2600 cartridge! And it was said that they're having a hard time figuring out how to make the unreal engine work on the atari console, and Atari's gonna be the first platform on which duke will be released.. Has everyone forgotten about this? Was it just an excuse from 3d Realms at that time since the game was taking ridiculously wrong.. I dunno but a ps2 is way better than an Atari 2600 to work with, so why not!
Old 08-30-2010, 01:54 AM   #14
Rapture_Rising

there probably was once a time that it was going to be on the PS2/ xbox but those times are long gone.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:54 AM   #15
Iggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus_ut3 View Post
What about the atari 2600 release which 3d Realms mentioned about on the official website? There's actually a video of a demonstration of an Atari 2600 cartridge! And it was said that they're having a hard time figuring out how to make the unreal engine work on the atari console, and Atari's gonna be the first platform on which duke will be released.. Has everyone forgotten about this? Was it just an excuse from 3d Realms at that time since the game was taking ridiculously wrong.. I dunno but a ps2 is way better than an Atari 2600 to work with, so why not!
You know that was a joke right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan of Cooma View Post
PS2 and Wii? Bahahahahahahahahahahaha!
^ This.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:03 AM   #16
Romulus_ut3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
You know that was a joke right?

^ This.
I wasn't serious ROFL cause If I were being serious I also would've asked for a release for the sega mega drive! But since there're so many duke games that have been announced for handheld gaming devices, a lil ps2 version won't hurt, after the game IS DONE that is, it's just a thought, which is very unlikely to happen.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:22 AM   #17
KO Gilligan

Duke Nukem: Balls of Steel Bowling, for wii
Old 08-30-2010, 02:30 AM   #18
Thewho

If the zx spectrum can handle an almost convincing port of Doom, then I'm sure the PS2 can handle a port of DNF. Sure they'd have to cut back a lot of things, but it's better than nothing, right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kW_XDSFdn-4
Old 08-30-2010, 09:56 AM   #19
Reaper89

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Gilligan View Post
Duke Nukem: Balls of Steel Bowling, for wii
Considering the amount of shovelware on the Wii...
Old 08-30-2010, 11:16 AM   #20
Romulus_ut3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewho View Post
If the zx spectrum can handle an almost convincing port of Doom, then I'm sure the PS2 can handle a port of DNF. Sure they'd have to cut back a lot of things, but it's better than nothing, right?

or how about just polishing the old builds and ideas with the current engine toned down to suit the older generation of consoles and release a game? To be honest I'd not mind seeing Duke Nukem 3D recreated using the new engine with a lil bit of spice added here and there, I know some of you're gonna say there's high resolution pack for it, but the truth is, the high resolution pack brings another kind of feeling to the game, It looks good but it kinda hinders the Duke Feel I got when I played it first back in 1998, just the thought of seeing all those levels from Duke Nukem 3D rendered using the new engine just cause shivers down my spine, if there weren't copyright issues and stuff, I'd have given a try recreating the classic Duke Nukem 3D on UE3, dunno about you guys feel about it though. This may sound a lil off topic but if the game finally comes out, I hope it comes with an editor that'd allow us to port the old maps to the new engine.. Maybe I'm too demanding.. After all.. It's Duke Nukem, probably the greatest character in the video gaming industry of all time.
Last edited by Romulus_ut3; 08-30-2010 at 11:24 AM.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:23 AM   #21
Kristian Joensen

The Wii has no shader support so you couldn't just tone down the current engine. The 2001 engine could probably be ported to the Wii, but you would have to actually finished it first.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:44 AM   #22
ferran275

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristian Joensen View Post
The Wii has no shader support so you couldn't just tone down the current engine. The 2001 engine could probably be ported to the Wii, but you would have to actually finished it first.
man... Wii SUCKS
Old 08-30-2010, 11:46 AM   #23
Rapture_Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferran275 View Post
man... Wii SUCKS
to put it simply... Yes
Old 08-30-2010, 11:47 AM   #24
Kristian Joensen

Yes, programmable shaders is one of the most fundamental aspects of this generation of tech, the first GPU's supporting it arrived in 2001. But the Wii released 5.5 years later doesn't support shaders. YUCK!

Edit:

With the introduction of Move and Kinect it will have exactly one advantage: Price. Which is not an advantage that applies to those that have multiple systems.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:46 PM   #25
alexgk

I'll leave this here:

http://cube.ign.com/articles/094/094538p1.html
Old 08-30-2010, 01:59 PM   #26
Willem-Jan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewho View Post

Great, thanks! Love that music haha!
Old 08-30-2010, 02:26 PM   #27
Duke's New Chainsaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgk View Post
I wonder if this is still relevant?

Old 08-30-2010, 02:59 PM   #28
8IronBob

The Wii, maybe, but PS2, heh...better chance of it being on the PS4 or PS5 they way they're going.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:26 PM   #29
cube_b3
I think my post has been misinterpreted, the 2001 build was always meant to be released for PS2 & X-Box.

3D Realms were only making the PC version, just like Remedy made the PC version of Max Payne Take Two was responsible for porting it.

When it comes to comic book video games a different studio does the PS3/360 version and a different studio does PSP/PS2/WII (the wii is a gamecube with a different controller, and the PSP is PS2 let's leave it at that I know that each are very different, I am just over simplifying things), the 6th generation games are also very different from their 7th generation counter part, given that DNF has an older build that would look perfect for PS2/Wii.

I say why the hell not, PS2 is the greatest selling console of all time.

P.S. I own a 360 and will be buying a 60gb PS3 soon, so don't think I am some "PS2 forever" type person, I just would want to play an older build of the game on an older system.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:31 PM   #30
hightreason

I still want the Atari VCS (2600) version!
Ever get the feeling you are being ignored?
Old 08-30-2010, 10:01 PM   #31
Oveneise

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightreason View Post
I still want the Atari VCS (2600) version!
The .bin file or an actual cartridge? Atariage.org makes carts for 20 bucks. Just send them a .bin file and labels. I was going to try making a homebrew... but I didn't know crap about Atari code, lol.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:16 PM   #32
alexgk

This thread is still open! A sign!!
Old 08-31-2010, 12:16 AM   #33
The Dukenator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube_b3 View Post
I think my post has been misinterpreted, the 2001 build was always meant to be released for PS2 & X-Box.

3D Realms were only making the PC version, just like Remedy made the PC version of Max Payne Take Two was responsible for porting it.

When it comes to comic book video games a different studio does the PS3/360 version and a different studio does PSP/PS2/WII (the wii is a gamecube with a different controller, and the PSP is PS2 let's leave it at that I know that each are very different, I am just over simplifying things), the 6th generation games are also very different from their 7th generation counter part, given that DNF has an older build that would look perfect for PS2/Wii.

I say why the hell not, PS2 is the greatest selling console of all time.

P.S. I own a 360 and will be buying a 60gb PS3 soon, so don't think I am some "PS2 forever" type person, I just would want to play an older build of the game on an older system.
Older builds don't exist now and I doubt they would give it away.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:33 AM   #34
Kristian Joensen

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dukenator View Post
Older builds don't exist now and I doubt they would give it away.
Pay attention to the portion of company archives here.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:17 AM   #35
Stevey Boy

Not a chance
Old 08-31-2010, 05:17 PM   #36
Biotech45

the wii's graphics are just 2 damn gay and the ps2 is WAY outdated puting that on their would be like nuking the canadians
Old 08-31-2010, 06:08 PM   #37
fast-1

Not on PS2 no way .
Old 08-31-2010, 08:06 PM   #38
Steve

The PS2 couldn't even handle Unreal Tournament or Deus Ex.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:16 PM   #39
Mr Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
The PS2 couldn't even handle Unreal Tournament or Deus Ex.

O RLY?

Old 08-31-2010, 08:19 PM   #40
Water12356

Yea hes right Steve. I have the PS2 version of Deus Ex. (this was before I started building PC's) And it actualy has better graphics than the PC version.

From wikipedia:
Quote:
A port of the game, entitled Deus Ex: The Conspiracy (although titled simply as Deus Ex in Europe) , was also released for the PlayStation 2, on March 25, 2002. Along with pre-rendered introductory and ending cinematics that replaced the original versions, it features a streamlined interface with auto aim, improved graphics, and motion captured character models.[47][48] Some levels were changed and chopped down into smaller areas separated by load-screens, due to the memory limitations of the PlayStation 2.[49]

"Men trade whatever they have for sex and women trade sex for whatever they want. That may be unromantic but theres truth to it."
- Nessus